Sloping R9 290

wikkid88

Hey Guys i have bought a new MSI R9 290 GPU. So far i love everything about it except one thing. Its so heavy it slopes, I think lol. I'm not sure if it is sloping or if the card was just made like this. Any help would be great i will include a pic. Thanks to any and all that help. 

Have a great day. P.J.

post-88483-0-92077800-1406042683_thumb.j

post-88483-0-48465700-1406042692_thumb.j

post-88483-0-89155800-1406042700_thumb.j

If you are very worried you could use string to hold it to the top of the case. However it isn't a massively drastic issue.

"How hard can it be?" - Jeremy Clarkson

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

"There's an old saying that God exists in your search for him. I just want you to understand that I ain't looking." - Leslie Nielsen

nothing will happen to it maybe try some tape to hold to somethin?\

-

R9 290 Lover hits 1000 posts on R9 290 Post

#R9290SWAGA

My PC

[ I5 4690k (no oc) - Gigabyte Z97 D3H - 8GB Ram - Sapphire R9 280X Vapor-X ]

-

#R9290SWAGA

Wait. You like the R9 290? You should have mentioned it.

/s

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

"There's an old saying that God exists in your search for him. I just want you to understand that I ain't looking." - Leslie Nielsen

It's GPU sag. It's normal. Is it secured properly?

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

-

#R9290SWAGA

#gratata

Spoiler

#gratata

#gratata #gratata

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Ok cool. I thought it was ok but, just wanted to make sure. Thanks again guys.

To be honest, it doesn't even look like it is sagging at all. It won't do anything.

hehhehhehhehhehhehhehhehhehhehheh SWIGGITY SWOOTY I'M COMING FOR THAT BOOTY hehhehhehhehhehhehhehhehhehhehheh

huehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehue LINIXTEKTEPS R DE BES I LUV LINUX huehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehue

Make sure it's secured properly.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 | Motherboard: Asus Z97-A | RAM: 8gb (2x4gb) Corsair LP @1600mhz | GPU: Asus TUF GTX 1660 OC 6GB | Case: Fractal Design Define R4 | Storage: 250gb Samsung 840 EVO and 1TB WD Black 7200rpm | PSU: Corsair CX750M | Display: Asus VG245H 1920x1080 | Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO and default case fans | Laptop: Early 2015 13" Macbook Pro Retina - i5 2.7Ghz - 256GB SSD

GPU Droop is really common, usually cards without backplate do it the worst, in my experience the gigabyte windforce cards tend to do it the worst, but it doesn't affect anything so nothing to worry about!

if its making you lose sleep, you could always rest you computer on its side like an old skool desktop. if you have a couple window fans, have them pushing air out and you're golden lol.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

If you are very worried you could use string to hold it to the top of the case. However it isn't a massively drastic issue.

lol whut a string?... :P

lol whut a string?... :P

#ghetto

#ghetto

#IMightDoItLaterOnIfINoticeIt

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

#IMightDoItLaterOnIfINoticeIt

#SoundsGood

-

#R9290SWAGA

i am about to have two the the beasts...possibly tommorow

Not a big deal, this happens with most large gpu's. If it bothers you, you can just use some wires ties or some sort of string going from the right edge of the gpu to somewhere higher in the case (like the 5 inch bays) to give it some support.  That's what I did in mine lol (I only bothered doing it because I was getting some annoying rattling noises caused by the plastic shroud vibrating at certain fan speeds, and I thought the gpu sagging may have been causing it, but it turned out it wasn't the issue):

post-45340-0-17767900-1406089143_thumb.j

To completely fix the rattling I had to resort to an even more ghetto solution xD:

6rgk4mzuhboyknvu6oqemvsxohuol-157713.jpg

Not a big deal, this happens with most large gpu's. If it bothers you, you can just use some wires ties or some sort of string going from the right edge of the gpu to somewhere higher in the case (like the 5 inch bays) to give it some support.  That's what I did in mine lol (I only bothered doing it because I was getting some annoying rattling noises caused by the plastic shroud vibrating at certain fan speeds, and I thought the gpu sagging may have been causing it, but it turned out it wasn't the issue):

attachicon.gifpost-45340-0-68011700-1406073425.jpg

To completely fix the rattling I had to resort to an even more ghetto solution xD:

6rgk4mzuhboyknvu6oqemvsxohuol-157713.jpg

Your cable managment is bye far the worst i have ever seen -_-

† TTCF Member † Jesus loves you! Have a good day and stay techie!

it's fine, a little off topic, what does your usage look like on MSI afterburner? when playing battlefield my Gigabyte R9 290 spikes like crazy, but has good frames, just wondering if you have the same...

and you could try to put some kind of custom brace along the side to support it, although I wouldn't recommend it...

Build: Sister's new build |CPU i5 2500k|MOBO MSI h61m-p23 b3|PSU Rosewill 850w  |RAM 4GB 1333|GPU Radeon HD 6950 2GB OCedition|HDD 500GB 7200|HDD 500GB 7200|CASE Rosewill R5|Status online

Build: Digital Vengeance|CPU i7 4790k 4.8GHz 1.33V|MOBO MSI z97-Gaming 7|PSU Seasonic Xseries 850w|RAM 16GB G.skill sniper 2133|GPU Dual R9 290s|SSD 256GB Neutron|SSD 240GB|HDD 2TB 7200|CASE Fractal Design Define R5|Status online

it's fine, a little off topic, what does your usage look like on MSI afterburner? when playing battlefield my Gigabyte R9 290 spikes like crazy, but has good frames, just wondering if you have the same...

and you could try to put some kind of custom brace along the side to support it, although I wouldn't recommend it...

In BF4 (in dx11 mode) I get some cpu bound fps drops and gpu usage drops significantly when it happens. With mantle its fine though, 99% usage from both cpu and gpu. Wouldn't say I have any crazy spikes though.