Can I Power This off my Mobo?

Flight1sim

Can i power Beyerdynamics DT770 250 ohm headphones without an amp on the Maximus VII Hero, and the ipod touch 5, or any mobile phone in general?

Im not getting the 80 ohm version because its expensive if you wanted to know. 

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

Can i power Beyerdynamics DT770 250 ohm headphones without an amp on the Maximus VII Hero, and the ipod touch 5, or any mobile phone in general?

Im not getting the 80 ohm version because its expensive if you wanted to know. 

if it doesn't get as loud as you want it. buy an amp other than that it should be OK

I don't know exactly what the Impendance of my headset is but according to my motherboard (VII Hero) its higher than 150Ohm, it drives it perfectly fine so I think it can drive those beyerdynamics too...

Build log "Whiplash" : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/158477-the-hero/

Whiplash: 4790k@4,4Ghz|Maximus VII Hero|4x4Gb Red/Black HyperX fury 1866Mhz|R9 290 Tri-X|Modded 450D|Sleeved cables on a M12II evo 850W|M500 480Gb| BenQ XL2411T@144Hz

Laptop: 4700MQ|16Gb@1600Mhz|Quadro 1100M|1080P|128Gb SSD|500Gb 7200RPM hdd

based on this review http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/asus_rog_maximus_vii_hero/13.htm it won't be able to drive headphones with that level of impedance.

on further digging around I dug up this http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/asus-rog-launches-maximus-vii-formula-series.html saying it can drive upto 600 ohm soooo... i'll shutup now but that second review does list the component part that is the amp http://www.ti.com/product/lm4562

I don't know exactly what the Impendance of my headset is but according to my motherboard (VII Hero) its higher than 150Ohm, it drives it perfectly fine so I think it can drive those beyerdynamics too...

Thanks, i saw the sound sense thingy will detect the impedance of your headphones till 150Ohm+ if its higher, it will just use the 150Ohm setting which should be fine.

BTW, have you used the sound stage button? Is it effective, and is there a way to change it using software?

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

based on this review http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/asus_rog_maximus_vii_hero/13.htm it won't be able to drive headphones with that level of impedance.

on further digging around I dug up this http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/asus-rog-launches-maximus-vii-formula-series.html saying it can drive upto 600 ohm soooo... i'll shutup now

It says in the first link that the sound sense will detect settings to only up to 150Ohms. It can drive up to 600Ohms.

Try the headphone off your present solution before you consider spending money on anything.

Thanks, i saw the sound sense thingy will detect the impedance of your headphones till 150Ohm+ if its higher, it will just use the 150Ohm setting which should be fine.

BTW, have you used the sound stage button? Is it effective, and is there a way to change it using software?

It auto detects it when you connect it.

Also, the sonic soundstage option really enhances sounds in games imho, I'm not an audiophile at all but I can clearly hear the difference it really enhances the ingame sound. Here a screenshot of the options page. 

REALTEK_ROG_SOUNDSTAGE.png\

When you use soundstage everything sounds less plain, there is more "depth"  in the sound (atleast thats how we say it in Dutch but you get what I mean :P)

Build log "Whiplash" : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/158477-the-hero/

Whiplash: 4790k@4,4Ghz|Maximus VII Hero|4x4Gb Red/Black HyperX fury 1866Mhz|R9 290 Tri-X|Modded 450D|Sleeved cables on a M12II evo 850W|M500 480Gb| BenQ XL2411T@144Hz

Laptop: 4700MQ|16Gb@1600Mhz|Quadro 1100M|1080P|128Gb SSD|500Gb 7200RPM hdd

I stuck my "300ohm" HD800s into my 2008 Atom netbook.

It was actually more than loud enough if you value your hearing. I was surprised. Volume wise, you're covered.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

I stuck my "300ohm" HD800s into my 2008 Atom netbook.

It was actually more than loud enough if you value your hearing. I was surprised. Volume wise, you're covered.

Those are very sensitive though - relatively insensitive DT's don't get loud enough for everyone on every onboard solution.

Those are very sensitive though - relatively insensitive DT's don't get loud enough for everyone on every onboard solution.

Orly now?

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

It's almost like sensitivity is more important to drive-ability than impedance.