GTX 780 stuttering when running dx11 games

Go to solution Solved by rcarlos243,

Alright, so I just got a new evga gtx 780 sc (reference model chassis) and whenever I play a dx11 game, I get horrible microstuttering even if I have a high fps. I've tried all sorts of "fixes," such as disabling hyperthreading, parking cores, run borderless windowed, running older drivers, etc. The games are Metro Last Light, Far Cry 3 (+Blood Dragon), BF4, and Watch_Dogs. I don't want to go to the store and return the card just yet, so I'm wondering if anybody has any real solutions. 

Specs: i7 4770k

GTX 780 (duh)

Asus Maximus Hero VII motherboard

Corsair Vengeance 8gb DDR3 RAM @ 1600mhz

Corsair 750m psu

I don't overclock, and the heatsink on the cpu is the stock model that comes with it.

This has been bothering me since I got it 2 days ago, and apparently is a common problem.

My laptop runs those games better than this high end gpu, which bothers me.

Thanks for reading, please chime in with your two cents.

tl;dr expensive gpu is garbage, help pls.

I have basically the same cpu as you (Intel Xeon E3 1230V3 4c/8t) and the stock intel heatsink isn't enough to cool it down which causes stuttering due to thermal throttling.

you either have to disable turbo boost in bios or get a proper cpu cooler.

Alright, so I just got a new evga gtx 780 sc (reference model chassis) and whenever I play a dx11 game, I get horrible microstuttering even if I have a high fps. I've tried all sorts of "fixes," such as disabling hyperthreading, parking cores, run borderless windowed, running older drivers, etc. The games are Metro Last Light, Far Cry 3 (+Blood Dragon), BF4, and Watch_Dogs. I don't want to go to the store and return the card just yet, so I'm wondering if anybody has any real solutions. 

GTX 780 (duh)

Corsair 750m psu

I don't overclock, and the heatsink on the cpu is the stock model that comes with it.

This has been bothering me since I got it 2 days ago, and apparently is a common problem.

can you download the GPU-Z ID and watch the temps?

HWMonitor and check CPU temps too

run with Unigine and see if the fps drops

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

I don't like your tone boy.

huh ?

what did he say that u didnt like ?

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

huh ?

what did he say that u didnt like ?

last sentence i think

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

If precisionX is running try closing it.

I'm having similar issues and games run like turd when it's open.

I don't run/use the precisionX software, but thanks for letting me know about it.

Anyways, I ran Unigine Heaven 4.0 benchamrk with gpu-z id and hwmonitor running.

The cpu temps ranged from 45-50 degrees celsius, and the 780 maintained 72 fps @ 83 degrees.

but in Unigine does it show microstutter?

it could just be games alone

GTX 780 (duh)

Corsair 750m psu

I have basically the same cpu as you (Intel Xeon E3 1230V3 4c/8t) and the stock intel heatsink isn't enough to cool it down which causes stuttering due to thermal throttling.

you either have to disable turbo boost in bios or get a proper cpu cooler.

Yeah, we're all just a bunch of idiots experiencing nothing more than the placebo effect.

Well, I'll go buy a better heatsink then and report back. Any recommendations?

Well, I'll go buy a better heatsink then and report back. Any recommendations?

use this

http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/display_driver_uninstaller_download.html

to remove the drivers

then download the latest non-beta drivers from the nvidia website

Ok, anything else? Also, I'd like to note that I can play dx9 games just fine, even the more demanding(?) ones, such as Borderlands 2, Skyrim (even with DatGrass loaded), and Far Cry 3 (dx9). Does that change anything? Or is Dx11 just that demanding on a cpu?

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got a proper heatsink, now I'm just finding out that a few games just run like crap because they are crap. Mainly, watchdogs. Everything else is good. Thanks for the help guys.

Finally got a proper heatsink, now I'm just finding out that a few games just run like crap because they are crap. Mainly, watchdogs. Everything else is good. Thanks for the help guys.

Download this mod (for Watch Dogs): http://www.guru3d.com/files-get/watch-dogs-theworse-mod-8-download,10.html

Fixes a lot of the performance issues people had with the game. 

It appears I'm now getting horrible fps in bf4, as opposed to before, which was good fps with horrible stuttering. The stuttering is not as bad, still working on getting rid of it though.