Upgrading my Gaming Rig

Go to solution Solved by dragoon20005,

mATX boards for FX are trash

stick to ATX boards like the 990FX if you do want to OC a lot

or go with mATX Intel builds but pick the Z87 boards

FM2+ is only when you only want to use the iGPU

Hi everyone!! This is my first time posting on the forums. Don't be so hard on me ^^

Anyway, as you can see in the subject I need advice cause I want to upgrade my current rig. My current rig is I think an 8 year old xfx 790i with a core 2 quad q9400 oc'd at 3.7 ghz, I have 8 gigs of ddr3 RAM @ 1866mhz and a gtx 760.  This rig is still ok for the types of games I play on it, in my opinion, but my computer is just too bulky and due to my current situation with my job I need a smaller rig. I travel a lot and I want to carry my computer around with me but I don't want the m-itx option because I want to be able to have more play in terms of expansion. So, I decided to build a micro ATX system.

I know its a "no brainer" to pick Intel simply because they have excellent micro ATX motherboards, but I really want to try the FX 8350 because of the price. My problem is finding good am3+ boards that will support FX CPU's out of the box. 

My questions are the following.

Are there any good am3+ micro-atx motherboards that you can suggest that will allow me to get a decent OC on the FX cpu?

How significant of a performance difference is there between a FX 8350 and a i5 4670k in purely gaming situations?

Will it be smart to pick fm2+ platform instead if I really want to go AMD?

P.S.

I will be getting a r9 290x soon from the mail. I bought it off ebay for 265 bucks but I still don't know if it works (yes, I know it was most likely used 24/7 for a few months for coin mining). I have my fingers crossed right now. ^^

Mining doesn't really kill cards as much as you think it would as long as it was cooled properly. Atleast that's what I hear. I couldn't find and mATX boards to support a 6300/8350 when I was looking. Then again I don't know crap about AMD Chipsets or Sockets.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

mATX boards for FX are trash

or go with mATX Intel builds but pick the Z87 boards

FM2+ is only when you only want to use the iGPU

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Firstly, the fx 6300 and 8350(I would personally go for the 8320 as if you overclock u get the same performance and it's cheaper) will be good for future gaming due to the fact they utilise 6-8 cores, and since the next gen consoles utilise 8 cores, games will start to.

Secondly, a good am3+ board is the msi 970a-g43 and it is good value for money. It has 4 ram slots and supports-ram up to 2133mhz. It also supports crossfire, but if you want sli u will have to get the g46 version, which costs slightly more.

Hope this helps!

Secondly, a good am3+ board is the msi 970a-g43 and it is good value for money.

Both of you guys are suggesting I use standard ATX boards if I really want to go AMD. Do you have any suggestions for small atx cases that will fit a CM Nepton 280L?I already have the Lian Li PC-A51 case in mind for that. I just want more options. ^^

Forget AMD all togheter in microATX they sucks, just get an intel i5 locked CPU it will perform better in pretty much everything especialy on games than even the highest overclocked FX-9590 CPU...

This is what i would go for op, it won't break the bank and still is much better and much more quiet and power efficient, no need for overclocking ready motherboard and good quality aftermarket CPU cooler with this kit

it's plug and play and performance is terrific right out of the box, this chip boost to 3.4ghz on it's own and has MUCH better per core performance than any AMD and this is what matters for gaming:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($180.98 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI H97M-E35 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $260.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-07-22 12:53 EDT-0400

BTW i'm no intel fanboys i ran an FX-8320@4.6GHZ for the last 6 months and the performance is just not there for gaming.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Both of you guys are suggesting I use standard ATX boards if I really want to go AMD. Do you have any suggestions for small atx cases that will fit a CM Nepton 280L?I already have the Lian Li PC-A51 case in mind for that. I just want more options. ^^

Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 AMD 760G (Socket AM3+) DDR3 MicroATX Motherboard

i_build_nanosuits

I really want to overclock though to make use of my nepton 280L. If I go i5 I'm picking between 4670k and 4690k. :)

Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 AMD 760G (Socket AM3+) DDR3 MicroATX Motherboard

how far can I push the fx 8350 on this board?

you can't even safely run it at stock speed on this board, sorry mate but absolutely no microATX motherboard as the power phase design to support such a chip...you could probably safely run an FX-6300 at stock on this...

and as i mentionned already for gaming absolutely no AMD cpu will come anywhere close to the i5-4460 no matter how far you could possibly overclock it.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Sorry but IMO u should get an i5 instead

Hi everyone!! This is my first time posting on the forums. Don't be so hard on me ^^

Anyway, as you can see in the subject I need advice cause I want to upgrade my current rig. My current rig is I think an 8 year old xfx 790i with a core 2 quad q9400 oc'd at 3.7 ghz, I have 8 gigs of ddr3 RAM @ 1866mhz and a gtx 760.  This rig is still ok for the types of games I play on it, in my opinion, but my computer is just too bulky and due to my current situation with my job I need a smaller rig. I travel a lot and I want to carry my computer around with me but I don't want the m-itx option because I want to be able to have more play in terms of expansion. So, I decided to build a micro ATX system.

I know its a "no brainer" to pick Intel simply because they have excellent micro ATX motherboards, but I really want to try the FX 8350 because of the price. My problem is finding good am3+ boards that will support FX CPU's out of the box. 

My questions are the following.

Are there any good am3+ micro-atx motherboards that you can suggest that will allow me to get a decent OC on the FX cpu?

How significant of a performance difference is there between a FX 8350 and a i5 4670k in purely gaming situations?

Will it be smart to pick fm2+ platform instead if I really want to go AMD?

P.S.

I will be getting a r9 290x soon from the mail. I bought it off ebay for 265 bucks but I still don't know if it works (yes, I know it was most likely used 24/7 for a few months for coin mining). I have my fingers crossed right now. ^^

If you wanted to go down the AM3+ route with an FX8350 you would need to have a case that could support a regular ATX board, pretty much all of the motherboards in the MicroATX form factor just don't have adequate power phasing. If you wanted to get a MicroATX board you're probably better off going down the Intel route. An i5 is probably your best option, other members on this forum will be able to help with that as i'm not very familiar with the Intel side of things.

you can't even safely run it at stock speed on this board, sorry mate but absolutely no microATX motherboard as the power phase design to support such a chip...you could probably safely run an FX-6300 at stock on this...

and as i mentionned already for gaming absolutely no AMD cpu will come anywhere close to the i5-4460 no matter how far you could possibly overclock it.

That is not true and is very misleading. Please stop saying crap like that, if you're going to say stuff like that you should specify the specific CPU's your talking about and provide evidence to back yourself up. In which case, if you looked it up you would find that to be complete rubbish.

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro | PSU: Enermax Revolution87+ 850W | Motherboard: MSI Z97 MPOWER MAX AC | GPU 1: MSI R9 290X Lightning | CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k | SSD: Samsung SM951 128GB M.2 | HDDs: 2x 3TB WD Black (RAID1) | CPU Cooler: Silverstone Heligon HE01 | RAM: 4 x 4GB Team Group 1600Mhz

i not sure of any case off hand that can fit the 280mm radiator

is there a reason why you need to got mATX?

as mentioned by other users

the mATX AM3+ board are real trash and running a FX 8 core is out of the question

even the FX 6 core will be a issue with those boards

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

and as i mentionned already for gaming absolutely no AMD cpu will come anywhere close to the i5-4460 no matter how far you could possibly overclock it.

If you wanted to go down the AM3+ route with an FX8350 you would need to have a case that could support a regular ATX board, pretty much all of the motherboards in the MicroATX form factor just don't have adequate power phasing. If you wanted to get a MicroATX board you're probably better off going down the Intel route. An i5 is probably your best option, other members on this forum will be able to help with that as i'm not very familiar with the Intel side of things.

That is not true and is very misleading. Please stop saying crap like that, if you're going to say stuff like that you should specify the specific CPU's your talking about and provide evidence to back yourself up. In which case, if you looked it up you would find that to be complete rubbish.

couldnt you read the op said he wanted the 8350 on this cheap ass matx board, even you said that they where all too cheap to run them, wtf is your problem are you high or something?

is there a reason why you need to got mATX?

I really want a small system that I can carry around when I travel. So I guess for m-atx I guess intel is my only option right now for what I want to do with the computer. 

I really want a small system that I can carry around when I travel. So I guess for m-atx I guess intel is my only option right now for what I want to do with the computer. 

yea it will be a better to get Intel coz the AMD mATX options on the AM3+ platform is quite limited unless you want to pick the FM2+ platform

couldnt you read the op said he wanted the 8350 on this cheap ass matx board, even you said that they where all too cheap to run them, wtf is your problem are you high or something?

So i'm "high" for suggesting something else to the OP? You need to get real and smell the coffee. Perhaps bring some facts and not splurge out such rubbish, you're being a source of misinformation which is not welcome on this forum.

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro | PSU: Enermax Revolution87+ 850W | Motherboard: MSI Z97 MPOWER MAX AC | GPU 1: MSI R9 290X Lightning | CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k | SSD: Samsung SM951 128GB M.2 | HDDs: 2x 3TB WD Black (RAID1) | CPU Cooler: Silverstone Heligon HE01 | RAM: 4 x 4GB Team Group 1600Mhz

Thank you very much guys I have decided to go the intel route as portability is really my desire. I chose to go with a 4690k paired with a z97 ROG gene board and the Aerocool DS-Cube case. I'm going to start building next week. ^^