Powerline "500 Mbps" Interface 1*10/100Mbps Ethernet Port

Loohi

Hi Community,

Im moving to a brand new place and with fibre optic (200mbps) - I cannot run ethernet cables, so im looking at Powerline for the next best thing

Ive been given the TL-PA4010KIT which is advertised at 500 Mbps. However, reading the specs, the interface is described as 10/100 Mbps ethernet port

So, i have a couple questions for you guys:

1. What am I missing? will the powerline be bottle necking my 200Mbps fibre optic connection? 

2. Given that my house is brand new - I assumed Powerline is the next best thing. What are your thoughts about it?

a. my usage is mostly gaming, steam downloading, and hopefully streaming HD video from my computer to my TV

Thanks in advance for your opinion / pro tips!

Hi Community,

Im moving to a brand new place and with fibre optic (200mbps) - I cannot run ethernet cables, so im looking at Powerline for the next best thing

Ive been given the TL-PA4010KIT which is advertised at 500 Mbps. However, reading the specs, the interface is described as 10/100 Mbps ethernet port

1. What am I missing? will the powerline be bottle necking my 200Mbps fibre optic connection? 

2. Given that my house is brand new - I assumed Powerline is the next best thing. What are your thoughts about it?

a. my usage is mostly gaming, steam downloading, and hopefully streaming HD video from my computer to my TV

Huh, 400Mbps and then 100Mbps port.

I am guessing they probably mean up to 400Mbps bandwidth, versus port speed. So, 400Mbps worth of data on the network between the adapters before it starts dropping packets? A Network guru will have a better explanation than that....hah.

So, your potions in order of best/worst:

1. Ethernet (but you say not possible)

2. Powerline (pretty decent, good ping)

3. Wireless (decent speeds, but will introduce higher pings for gaming multiplayer)

Wireless AC is pretty darn fast, but still will introduce higher pings than a hardline connection. 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

Well firstly the "500Mbps" powerline adapter won't hit 500Mbps. If it's in the adjacent socket it'll go a touch over 100Mbps but in reality you're probably looking at something closer to 70Mbps. Here's a couple of graphs from smallnetbuilder showing AV500 and AV200 performance. Self explanatory.

homeplug_av_500_roundup_throughput_v_locthroughput_v_loc_av200_dn.jpg

Personally I think that powerline is pretty good for reaching those areas that your WiFi doesn't cover well. Those back rooms where try as you might you can only get 10-20Mbps with every wireless AP you try. The "location E" scenario on the graph. Sure you won't get the full "200Mbps" but that's not the point. You'll still get better speeds than you would have with WiFi.

I'd also add that if I was getting 200Mbps internet I wouldn't be getting it so I could push the full 200Mbps to my TV. Instead I'd be getting it so I could quickly build a buffer on that 15Mbps movie I'm streaming on the TV while still being able to update the apps on my phone, watch a different video in another room and download "Linux ISOs". All without anyone complaining about buffering or stream quality dropping. For speeds like that I wouldn't really worry that much about getting the full speed to every device. That's not the point.

........ or maybe it is, I wouldn't know, I only have 8Mbps internet and have Gigabit Ethernet everywhere.

edit: with all that said. This here: http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-PA6010KIT-Powerline-Adapter-Starter/dp/B00IBPLI48

will do 150Mbps where the AV500 gear will push 65Mbps and 90Mbps where it's down to 45Mbps...

Edited by skywake

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

Thanks a lot for the prompt response. Fair enough, I do agree with the 200 Mbps acting more as a buffer than as raw speed.

I guess I was also concerned with the 25Gb games that I sometimes need to re-download and in this case, I was looking forward to using as much of the bandwith as possible!

But that's a first world problem now, isn't it!?

On another point: my appartment isn't that big, so my Wifi signal should remain overall pretty decent, but i'd be surrounded by many other appartments and therefore many other wifi networks. Even if changing the channel to the least busy one, Im still concerned about interferences and therefore would still favor powerline - is that a fair analysis?

On another point: my appartment isn't that big, so my Wifi signal should remain overall pretty decent, but i'd be surrounded by many other appartments and therefore many other wifi networks. Even if changing the channel to the least busy one, Im still concerned about interferences and therefore would still favor powerline - is that a fair analysis?

Sounds reasonable, just don't expect the full 200Mbps for a single link. Mix-and-match and you'll go well beyond it across all your devices. ;) 

Yea I warned people about that before the ones with 10/100 are much cheaper than the gigabit ones.

Yea I warned people about that before the ones with 10/100 are much cheaper than the gigabit ones.

They are indeed - on top of that, I need a "passthrough" powerline, because I only have one electrical socket to plug both the modem and the powerline.

To my knowledge tho, the 6010 powerline does not exist in a passthrough version... oh well..

They are indeed - on top of that, I need a "passthrough" powerline, because I only have one electrical socket to plug both the modem and the powerline.

To my knowledge tho, the 6010 powerline does not exist in a passthrough version... oh well..

I have never seen a pass through version...

Get a double adapter from the hardware for a couple of bucks. As long as it's not behind a surge protector the powerline adapter should function properly.

google "pass through powerline network gigabit"  

They exist

*I threw "gigabit" on the end there if you were interested in that

Hi Community,

Just run a few ethernet cables on the ceilling.

Get a double adapter from the hardware for a couple of bucks. As long as it's not behind a surge protector the powerline adapter should function properly.

should work, get the one with the least wires inside.

Thanks guys! Looks like all options have been evaluated.

Will let you know of the results once I move in, if you guys are interested