NCIX: N/A

Amazon: http://geni.us/2Gzj

Our review of the Dropcam Pro from Nest is here. Is this product a sad statement about the stagnation in the home monitoring market, or does it have the capabilities to justify its high price tag?

nick really needs an avatar

Not worth the money at all. You could probably get a similar setup with webcams and some cheap or even free software.

the way i think about the cost of the subscription, its just cloud storage.  so if you were to take 100gb drop-box account for 10$ a month if it was that for the superscription that would be fine.

I have put in stuff like this for people, i go the complicated way, get some 1080p ip cameras and setup a pc (uses allot of power)  to monitor or capture on the network on to a 4tb drive on continuous record with movement dumped onto drop-box or Google drive account what ever they want to pay for.

I can definitely see the advantages of the easy setup and monitoring so i think its target audience is the non teck people who have to pay allot more for less but its simple and very intuitive for them.  in this area if you want features you have always had to have a smart recorder box or used a computer on the back end, the units themselves just don't have the processing power to do anything crazy.

The base price of the camera is fine, but the cloud storage is simply too expensive, and not having cloud storage just makes it a glorified webcam.

Every Dropcam should at least be able to record to a networked hard drive, and they should have a higher end model for all-weather/outdoor use.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-5820K, Corsair H115i, Asus X99-Deluxe/USB 3.1, G.Skill Ripjaws4 32GB 2800MHz CL16, Zotac RTX 3070, Samsung 950 Pro 512GB in Angelbird Wings PX1, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, 5*Seagate 12TB, Cooler Master V1200, Phanteks Enthoo Luxe, Windows 10 Pro. Phillips 328P6VUBREB, Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown, Logitech G502 X Plus, Sennheiser HD700.

AYANEO 2S: AMD 7800U, 32GB 7500MHz, 2TB WD SN850X. Windows 11.

i said this on the video so ill just copy paste it 

"well what about setting up the server to screen capture the monitor while leaving the cvr on? it wouldn't be a bad idea considering linus server"

its ghetto but it saves you 500$ while keeping the most important part, video, i think is a better solution

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

can i connect through VLC to this camera?

wow, what a ripoff product. You could setup just a regular webcam to do most of the same stuff.

He who dies with the most tools wins.

It looks like if it was cheaper and could be powered better it would be amazing. I think nest was bought by google right? If so there is no way that their cloud storage should be that expensive.

No local recording is bunk. Complete and utter trash.

Cloud storage in addition to local is fine. Pay for cloud storage, and only 7 days is crap.

Wouldn't use this for free.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

nearly as bad as the dlink camera i bought a few months back. worst part is most of these cameras with IR lights cant even be aimed out a window as they flash the ir lights when it gets dark runing the picture. all these net cameras seem like a scam, I will probably be rigging some usb webcams to work as security cams with all this disappointment.

proud owner of alienware 13 with graphic amplifier and also a alienware X51 gaming PC!!! really powerfulL!!

xoxo samantha <3