Why Does Titanfall Run So Poorly?

RelentlessAF

Hey guys, so with all the new updates that Titanfall has been getting I've been wanting to play it again. For whatever reason though, I can't play the game smoothly at all. First and foremost the framerate is capped at 60FPS which makes no sense to me whatsoever. Other than that I should be able to play the game on High or even medium really but nope, playing on either medium or high causes massive frame dropping and just general stuttering of the game. This is my only game that does this by the way. I found that setting texture resolutions to Low allows me to play on high but then everything in the game looks all pixelated. I have a 2GB GTX 660 I should be able to at least use Medium textures. Does anyone know why this might be? I have the latest drivers.

Also my CPU is a 3570K Overclocked to 4.0Ghz.

EDIT: The GPU usage constantly goes up and down every time the game freezes for a second.

It is source engine...I thought it ran pretty well.

I should be studying.

Botched as f*ck source engine

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

It should that's the problem and no one else seems to have issues with it.

It should that's the problem and no one else seems to have issues with it.

Maybe your drivers? Are they updated?

I should be studying.

Thats odd, the game is not capped at 60FPS for me.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

Its capped at 60 cause they don't know how to code. They launched with a 60 fps cap. Quickly came out and said they'd update it . They updated it .It broke many things including their noob auto aim pistol. So they put the 60 fps cap back. One of the many reasons I never bought the game after playing beta.

I get constant stutter in the game regardless of settings. I also have tried disabling SLI and it still runs like trash

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

I played the beta (which ran fine) and for the two days during the origin game time and this is exactly my experience. A 770 should crush this game, especially if you drop the AA, but some maps had constant stutter and framedrops. I had to play at medium to low-ish settings to make certain maps work. Of course the game has no right to be so demanding because it really doesn't look too good, so I'm pretty sure it's not well optimized and there's little that you can do about that.

I haven't played it since the beta, but I never had any problems with it. Ran it on ultra with my 670 that runs at about 1242 Mhz and my 3570k @ 4.2 Ghz. Had really smooth framerates on ultra all the time, I don't remember the fps I was getting but it was high and smooth.

There has been a work around for the 60fps cap since the beta. It requires all of two seconds of work on your part to Google it. Long story short, enable V-Sync via the in-game settings, but set the Titanfall profile in the Nvidia control panel to have V-Sync disabled. The Nvidia Control Panel settings will override the in-game settings and the 60fps cap will be gone.

Beyond that, the performance of Titanfall is perfect. If you are having trouble it's because of something with your system. I have never once had performance issues with the game. No stuttering, no massive frame drops, nothing.

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3591491194

There has been a work around for the 60fps cap since the beta. It requires all of two seconds of work on your part to Google it. Long story short, enable V-Sync via the in-game settings, but set the Titanfall profile in the Nvidia control panel to have V-Sync disabled. The Nvidia Control Panel settings will override the in-game settings and the 60fps cap will be gone.

Beyond that, the performance of Titanfall is perfect. If you are having trouble it's because of something with your system. I have never once had performance issues with the game. No stuttering, no massive frame drops, nothing.

I googled for a work around but couldn't find one thank you for the info.

As far as an issue with my system, that wouldn't be the case. All other games I have run exactly how they should except Titanfall. I'm assuming it's probably optimization as many others have reported similar issues as well.

I googled for a work around but couldn't find one thank you for the info.

As far as an issue with my system, that wouldn't be the case. All other games I have run exactly how they should except Titanfall. I'm assuming it's probably optimization as many others have reported similar issues as well.

No, if it was an optimization issue than I would have issues as well. When a small minority of players is affected, the fault is with those players' systems, not the game. Outdated drivers, a corrupted install, the possibilities are almost endless, but the fault is not with the actual game. Blaming optimization is the excuse ignorant people like to toss around when they don't feel like taking the time to actually identify the problem. Titanfall does not require anything close to top end hardware in order to run smoothly, so optimization is not the issue.

Edit: Here's proof that Titanfall itself suffers from no performance or optimization issues. All settings are maxed except Texture Resolution which is on Very High, with x4 AA and x8 AF. If the quality looks a little off it's because my monitor is only 1680x1050 but I record at 1920x1080. It looks better than 720, which is what youtube downscales to if I upload at 1050.

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

No, if it was an optimization issue than I would have issues as well. When a small minority of players is affected, the fault is with those players' systems, not the game. Outdated drivers, a corrupted install, the possibilities are almost endless, but the fault is not with the actual game. Blaming optimization is the excuse ignorant people like to toss around when they don't feel like taking the time to actually identify the problem. Titanfall does not require anything close to top end hardware in order to run smoothly, so optimization is not the issue.

Edit: Here's proof that Titanfall itself suffers from no performance or optimization issues. All settings are maxed except Texture Resolution which is on Very High, with x4 AA and x8 AF. If the quality looks a little off it's because my monitor is only 1680x1050 but I record at 1920x1080. It looks better than 720, which is what youtube downscales to if I upload at 1050.

Optimization has to be done for all possibilities of hardware. It isn't like consoles where you optimize for one specific set. This is why some games run better with Nvidia graphics others on AMD and even differ within those respective catagories. Such as the game running better for Nvidia yet an R9 280 still plays at the settings it should. Optimization is a lot more complicated than you think. There is NO developer who has been able to optimize a game for all hardware. There are even slight differences. I have tried reinstalling, reinstalling drivers, testing various components, resetting to stock clock speeds, lowering GPU voltage, under-clocking, and testing memory. The problem persists and many people also have it as well.

Saying "The game runs good for me so it's just your system" is also ignorant. Just because your system has no issues doesn't mean someone elses won't. Some of my Steam friends also have issues playing Titanfall, all with different varying systems. All have tried all the fixes and none seem to have worked.

If there's some magical button I should press to make the game suddenly perform properly please direct me to it. As it stands, nothing I have tried has resolved the issue.

The game is locked to 60 when a 60hz monitor is used.

other than that performance has been great on my 760.

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

Optimization has to be done for all possibilities of hardware. It isn't like consoles where you optimize for one specific set. This is why some games run better with Nvidia graphics others on AMD and even differ within those respective catagories. Such as the game running better for Nvidia yet an R9 280 still plays at the settings it should. Optimization is a lot more complicated than you think. There is NO developer who has been able to optimize a game for all hardware. There are even slight differences. I have tried reinstalling, reinstalling drivers, testing various components, resetting to stock clock speeds, lowering GPU voltage, under-clocking, and testing memory. The problem persists and many people also have it as well.

Saying "The game runs good for me so it's just your system" is also ignorant. Just because your system has no issues doesn't mean someone elses won't. Some of my Steam friends also have issues playing Titanfall, all with different varying systems. All have tried all the fixes and none seem to have worked.

If there's some magical button I should press to make the game suddenly perform properly please direct me to it. As it stands, nothing I have tried has resolved the issue.

I fully understand how optimization works, and our two systems are close enough that if it runs on my system, it should run on yours. Your GPU uses the exact same chip tham mine uses, just with some of it's cores disabled. There is no hardware or software difference between our two GPUs that would cause the game to be optimized for my system, but not for yours. Titanfall having issues is 100% the fault of the system owner. It works perfectly for millions of people, if it was an optimization issue, that wouldn't be the case. This is not like Watch Dogs where it runs like crap for everyone. 

The one and only optimization issue the game ever had was lack of SLI and Crossfire support at launch. But that was fixed months ago.

It runs fine for me.

70-80 FPS most of the time on ultra with 2xMSAA at 1080p with a GTX 760.

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK | BENQ XL2420TE | ROCCAT SAVU | FRACTAL DEFINE R4