Need Help Fixing Matrix Platinum 290x Artifacts

Osirez

I've been through a lot with this 290x.  I have already RMA'ed this card once and Asus said they couldn't duplicate the problem.  Maybe someone here can help me.  First let me show you the problem:

Video showing artifacts.

Here are some of things I did to troubleshoot:

* Different power supply
* Tried different PCI x16 slots
* Downclocked every possible settings via Asus GPU Tweak
* Undervolted every possible settings via Asus GPU Tweak
* Reinstalled Windows to ensure no other software conflicts
* Flashed to latest UEFI provided by my motherboard manufacturer 
* Tried the last 5 drivers provided by the AMD Radeon drivers site
* Tried the drivers linked on Asus
* Tried the latest beta drivers from AMD
* Tried it on Linux (same artifacts)
* Reset the BIOS
* Used several driver cleaners to wipe the old drivers

---THINGS DONE IN THIS THREAD---

* Checked for the latest BIOS (none)

I'm at a stand still with this card and don't know what else to do.  Like I said I've RMA'ed it once already.  They sent me back the exact same card.  Now they're saying something about needing a credit card to hold the cost of the card until the problem is resolved.  I don't have that kind of money at the moment.  And quite honestly Asus is really pissing me off.   And I'm pretty much stuck with a expensive high end GPU that I can't do anything with.  Getting to the point where I might ditch it cheap on Ebay.

EDIT: just watched the video sorry haha. I was gong to ask if it was only in one game.

---

What power supply do you have?

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

I've been through a lot with this 290x.  I have already RMA'ed this card once and Asus said they couldn't duplicate the problem.  Maybe someone here can help me.  First let me show you the problem:

Video showing artifacts.

Here are some of things I did to troubleshoot:

* Different power supply
* Tried different PCI x16 slots
* Downclocked every possible settings via Asus GPU Tweak
* Undervolted every possible settings via Asus GPU Tweak
* Reinstalled Windows to ensure no other software conflicts
* Flashed to latest UEFI provided by my motherboard manufacturer 
* Tried the last 5 drivers provided by the AMD Radeon drivers site
* Tried the drivers linked on Asus
* Tried the latest beta drivers from AMD
* Tried it on Linux (same artifacts)
* Reset the BIOS
* Used several driver cleaners to wipe the old drivers

I'm at a stand still with this card and don't know what else to do.  Like I said I've RMA'ed it once already.  They sent me back the exact same card.  Now they're saying something about needing a credit card to hold the cost of the card until the problem is resolved.  I don't have that kind of money at the moment.  And quite honestly Asus is really pissing me off.   And I'm pretty much stuck with a expensive high end GPU that I can't do anything with.  Getting to the point where I might ditch it cheap on Ebay.

You might want to note the fact that you won this card from a giveaway.But have you tried running GPU tweak to see if you can update GPU Bios that Asus provides?

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

There is no BIOS for this card.

There is no BIOS for this card.

Well something is fishy for them to request credit to hold the card for a RMA.

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

The way I was explained this by a professional system builder was that they send you out a loaner card but require a credit card.  They do this b/c if you don't send the loaner back then they'll just bill you.  I don't have any experience with none of that so I can't confirm it.  But that's sort of what the email was implying in a run about vague way.

guess Asus AMD GPUs have yet to be rid of the artifacts issue

that card has a BIOS switch

can you turn off and switch the BIOS to the other mode? 

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

guess Asus AMD GPUs have yet to be rid of the artifacts issue

that card has a BIOS switch

can you turn off and switch the BIOS to the other mode? 

Are you refering to the button?  There's only a switch for the nitrogen heating feature and the button is just to reset it.

The way I was explained this by a professional system builder was that they send you out a loaner card but require a credit card.  They do this b/c if you don't send the loaner back then they'll just bill you.  I don't have any experience with none of that so I can't confirm it.  But that's sort of what the email was implying in a run about vague way.

Hmm that seems like a nice but risky thing for them to do. But hey if they send you a working card then YOLO AMIRIGHT?

|King Of The Lost|

Are you refering to the button?  There's only a switch for the nitrogen heating feature and the button is just to reset it.

oh sorry i was refering to the LN2/STD mode switch

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

i found some BIOS for the Asus 290X 

see which one is the correct BIOS

I will verify it with GPU-Z ID

http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/index.php?architecture=&manufacturer=Asus&model=R9+290X&interface=&memType=&memSize=&did=1002-67b0--

do a backup of the GPU BIOS

KingCry: Problem with that is that I don't have $630 so that they can place a hold on my card.  So that's out of the question.

dragoon20005: Gimme a few moments.  I put my GTX 660 back in my rig.  Gonna take a moment while I wipe the drivers and resintall the 290x.

KingCry: Problem with that is that I don't have $630 so that they can place a hold on my card.  So that's out of the question.

dragoon20005: Gimme a few moments.  I put my GTX 660 back in my rig.  Gonna take a moment while I wipe the drivers and resintall the 290x.

yea use this software

http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/display_driver_uninstaller_download.html

then get the AMD 14.4 driver

My BIOS isn't on that page.  According to GPU-Z, I have:

My BIOS isn't on that page.  According to GPU-Z, I have:

weird it seems you have the latest BIOS

can you check with Asus to see if they have any BIOS updates

sorry i mean contacting Asus helpdesk

email them to ask about the BIOS

or use GPU Tweak to check for updates

Damn, you tried everything in the book... All I can think of is ask a friend if he will let you put his card in your machine and seeing if it artifacts in there....

^^ this

the last resort

if that card is crapping on your buddy's PC

sell it and never see it again!!!

Unfortunately that's the on thing I haven't done because I don't know anyone here (smallish town) that has a gaming rig that will accommodate this card.

I'm really thinking of just selling it on Ebay, of course letting the buyer know what the problem is for about $450.  Sells on newegg for $630.

What's the chance its the VRAM and if so how can I find out?

opening the GPU is the last thing I will not do even if I got a free card

once opened = chances of damage = dead GPU = no value

Super frustrating.  Weeks lost troubleshooting this with no change and Asus isn't helping at all.

Unfortunately that's the on thing I haven't done because I don't know anyone here (smallish town) that has a gaming rig that will accommodate this card.

I'm really thinking of just selling it on Ebay, of course letting the buyer know what the problem is for about $450.  Sells on newegg for $630.

What's the chance its the VRAM and if so how can I find out?

Well you could sell it and say in caps IT ARTIFACTS PROBLEM NOT DIAGNOSED and list it for like $300.

Yea, that's the plan SlaughterSmurf.  You don't think I could get anymore off of Ebay then $300?

Super frustrating.  Weeks lost troubleshooting this with no change and Asus isn't helping at all.

Dude tell them that you are super disapointed and are highly unlikely to suggest their products in the future if this goes unresolved, worked for my on my 2nd 7970 where they couldn't replicate the issues, but that was XFX, not sure about Asus. They just said FINE FINE FINE  WE WILL REPLACE IT!!!