Noctua NH-U14S Good for overclocking a 4690k?

So I recently ordered my 4690k and a Gigabyte GA-z97MX Gaming 5 motherboard, and I'm wondering if my Noctua NH-U14S will be good enough to overclock the cpu. While I have a corsair H110, and a Larkooler watercooling kit, I ultimately decided that I just dont trust water cooling. Mainly because if something does go wrong, then I'm out a crapload of money (not a good thing when your already broke)

My case is a corsair Air 540 (with the mesh removed, still using dust filter though) My fans are as follows

On the cooler itself, a noctua pressure optimized normal 140mm in push, with the provided weird 140mm in pull

Another Noctua pressure optimized 140 as the rear exhaust

2 Corsair purple led 140's on top

3 Cougar orange blade non led's as intake on the front

So will I have enough cooling to overclock to around 4.0? (maybe higher depending on the temps I get, probably won't push it too hard though) I don't have the cpu and mobo yet, just wondering if i'll be good to go when they get here (good to overclock that is, certainly I'll be good to go at stock clock)

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Yes

CPU: i7-4770k @4.8ghz---Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z97---Ram 32gb Corsair Vengeance---GPU: 2 EVGA GTX 980 4gb way sli---Case: Corsair 600T White---Storage: 500gb 850 Pro & WD Black 4tb---PSU: Corsair RM1000

That cooler should easily allow you to hit 4.0Ghz with some good temps. Some watercooling manufacturers also give you some money for the components that fail if it leaks but I'm not sure who.

It will. But you shouldn't fear wattercooling AIO's, they're tested before they are shipped, and you can probably get some money for the damage if something does go wrong.

i'm a potato

Yes it will work nicely, you are correct that the loop coolers add another point of failure to the system however they are covered by warranty in the event of failure.

Yes

That cooler should easily allow you to hit 4.0Ghz with some good temps. Some watercooling manufacturers also give you some money for the components that fail if it leaks but I'm not sure who.

What is the absolute highest you would go with this cooler? Just out of curiousity? Should I use the provided Noctua thermal paste or get some of that Arctic stuff that everyone always mentions?

Edit: I'd be fine with water cooling if It's failure wouldn't affect my ability to do my upcoming online schoolwork (and if I had money to replace)

What is the absolute highest you would go with this cooler? Just out of curiousity? Should I use the provided Noctua thermal paste or get some of that Arctic stuff that everyone always mentions?

It depends on your ambient temperature, and the provided Noctua paste is excellent I use it in all my builds and have several syringes of the stuff.

Unlike the Arctic Silver 5 that everyone seems to use the NT-H1 has no cure time and isn't conductive, it's a top end compound definitely use that.

To be honest the thermal paste you use makes a 1 to 2 degree difference at the most so the included stuff would be fine. I would go until my CPU temps in Prime 95 top out around 70-75C so just keep testing to see how much higher you can go. I've seen some able to hit 4.7Ghz with air but I wouldn't go that high.

Also I know they are different CPU's but my 3570K hit 4.0Ghz on the stock cooler just fine, that should give you an idea of what you could do.

Edit: I'd be fine with water cooling if It's failure wouldn't affect my ability to do my upcoming online schoolwork (and if I had money to replace)

Just go as high as you are comfortable with, go to 4.0 and work up in 0.2Ghz doing stress tests inbetween. And the NT-H1 paste is excellent, no need to buy anything else.

I think you will be able to get 4.5-4.7Ghz out of it, considering I have a 3770k at 4.6 using a U14s.

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s

yes ofc, you can hit 4.5GHz with it like you would with watercooling. watercooling is just good for extreme OC for guys with rich-people money :P :P :P

If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself.

I wouldn't go over 4.3 personally just to leave that extra cooling capability in their. Never know how hot it's going to get and it's nice to have some breathing room.

CPU: i7-4770k @4.8ghz---Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z97---Ram 32gb Corsair Vengeance---GPU: 2 EVGA GTX 980 4gb way sli---Case: Corsair 600T White---Storage: 500gb 850 Pro & WD Black 4tb---PSU: Corsair RM1000

Lol my Idea of stress testing is actual use, such as battlefield 4, skyrim, metro last light, but the most difficult thing on my pc that I actually do is having several LTTF tabs open, along with several youtube tabs and several (newegg, frozencpu, random other shit)

Is it really necessary to run stuff like prime 95? Just curious since those programs usualy don't reflect actual use (or so I've seen people say)

It will. But you shouldn't fear wattercooling AIO's, they're tested before they are shipped, and you can probably get some money for the damage if something does go wrong.

Last time someone on this forum, their h100 failed, killed his GPU, corsair didn't replace the GPU - this was not more than 2 weeks ago

The most common result of insufficient wattage is a paperweight that looks like a PC

Last time someone on this forum, their h100 failed, killed his GPU, corsair didn't replace the GPU - this was not more than 2 weeks ago

Still, then you would never drive or even go outside with the fear of death. Those cases are there, but there aren't many. And did Corsair at least give the guy money or something?

i'm a potato

Still, then you would never drive or even go outside with the fear of death. Those cases are there, but there aren't many. And did Corsair at least give the guy money or something?

Yes but OP also made an excellent point - He can't afford to lose his hardware, and I have to agree with that - I'm in the same boat.

My opinion, corsair can keep their "reimbursement" and their AIO and I'll my hardware and noctua which would also perform well.  :) 

The most common result of insufficient wattage is a paperweight that looks like a PC

Yes but OP also made an excellent point - He can't afford to lose his hardware, and I have to agree with that - I'm in the same boat.

My opinion, corsair can keep their "reimbursement" and their AIO and I'll my hardware and noctua which would also perform well.  :)

I also like Noctua coolers better than AIO's too.

i'm a potato

*snip*

The U14S will have you well covered up to a 4.4-4.5 OC.

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

Lol my Idea of stress testing is actual use, such as battlefield 4, skyrim, metro last light, but the most difficult thing on my pc that I actually do is having several LTTF tabs open, along with several youtube tabs and several (newegg, frozencpu, random other shit)

Is it really necessary to run stuff like prime 95? Just curious since those programs usualy don't reflect actual use (or so I've seen people say)

Its not necessary to run p95 because it creates an unrealistic load. But I think its nice to do it because lets say you get a decent overclock and your temps are 80c with p95, at least you know it will never get that high in normal situations.

like me, when running p95 for about half an hour my CPU gets to about 79c which I think is just acceptable, so its nice to know that I will probably never (never have) hit anywhere near 79c. When gaming My temps usually hover around 65-70c.

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s

I would love to put my larkooler kit back in, but I just dont trust it, If I had the money i'd do an entire custom look for the cpu, gpu, ram, mobo, harddrive (just for shits and giggles) because it's cool looking, but at this time, air cooling is the reliable go to so Noctua ftw.

Where is a reliable source to get prime95?

Edit: woohoo! just got my tracking number even though I ordered yesterday with the slowest shipping (cuz its free) god I can't wait, ugh, fedex, greeeeeaaaat......

So I recently ordered my 4690k and a Gigabyte GA-z97MX Gaming 5 motherboard, and I'm wondering if my Noctua NH-U14S will be good enough to overclock the cpu. While I have a corsair H110, and a Larkooler watercooling kit, I ultimately decided that I just dont trust water cooling. Mainly because if something does go wrong, then I'm out a crapload of money (not a good thing when your already broke)

My case is a corsair Air 540 (with the mesh removed, still using dust filter though) My fans are as follows

On the cooler itself, a noctua pressure optimized normal 140mm in push, with the provided weird 140mm in pull

Another Noctua pressure optimized 140 as the rear exhaust

2 Corsair purple led 140's on top

3 Cougar orange blade non led's as intake on the front

So will I have enough cooling to overclock to around 4.0? (maybe higher depending on the temps I get, probably won't push it too hard though) I don't have the cpu and mobo yet, just wondering if i'll be good to go when they get here (good to overclock that is, certainly I'll be good to go at stock clock)

I like air cooler better than aio because they are cheaper and it kind of fill the space (thats what she sais). My Nh-u14s look marvelous in my 540 ;) my caise looks killer with it and my 3 slot 7970 haha. I have almost the same setup as you but I have a 8350 instead

Case : Corsiar Air 540 CPU : Intel i5 8600k GPU : Asus Nvidia 970 DirectCUII RAM : 16gb DDR4 MB : ASUS Prime z370-p PSU : OCZ Modxtreme 700w SSD : Samsung 840 EVO 250gb 

I like air cooler better than aio because they are cheaper and it kind of fill the space (thats what she sais). My Nh-u14s look marvelous in my 540 ;) my caise looks killer with it and my 3 slot 7970 haha. I have almost the same setup as you but I have a 8350 instead

Mine seems to be easily handling 3.9 ghz on my 4690k. I haven't pushed it further since I don't want to fry it, but I ran a prime95 blend and after about 30 minutes the built in gigabyte HW monitor (in the App center) said it was running about mid 30's C. I assume that's either really good, or a flat out incorrect reading. Opinions? I know 3.9 is only turbo speed for this cpu, but I can't chance a failure since it's going to be a pc for school for the next 18 months.