How good is the Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB SSD?

melias24

Hi, im looking for a cheaper SSD so i can install my OS and BF4 in my PC, and i came across the Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB SSD

how good is it, is it reliable and quick?

Thanks 

~Elias

Main PC: Core i5 4670 | MSI Mpower Max z87 | G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4gb | Stock intel cooler | PNY GTX 770 2gb (hoping to upgrade) | Seagate 1tb 7200rpm | Corsair RM850 | Corsair Carbide Air 540 | PCCG custom sleeved black/yellow extensions | Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue | Corsair M45 |

Phone: LG Nexus 5 | Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-PDG1, Shure SRH440 | Laptop: Asus 303la (i5 model, 1600x900 res) | Motorbikes: 2004 Sherco 290i, 2013 Husqvarna CR125 | Xbox one

I have a V+200, it is very reliable, even with 2 in Raid0. The speeds aren't the best, but what can you expect with a budget SSD?

Hi, im looking for a cheaper SSD so i can install my OS and BF4 in my PC, and i came across the Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB SSD

how good is it, is it reliable and quick?

Thanks 

~Elias

V 300 is just terrible after firmware update. Really! Do not buy it.

You better of with Crucial M500/550 or Intel or Samsung.

Intel i7 2600 @ 4.2 Ghz | MSI Z77-GD55 | Crucial 16 GB DDR3 RAM 1600Mhz | Intel 330 SSD 180Gb | Western Digital Black 1Tb | Western Digital Green 2Tb | Gigabyte GTX 650 Ti | OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W | Thermaltake Commander MS-I case | OS X Yosemite | Dell Vostro 3550 Windows 10

Intel Xeon 1230 V2 | Gigabyte GA-H61M-S | Kingston 4Gb RAM 1333Mhz | Seagate 1TB  | Fractial Design Arc mini | Windows 10

V 300 is just terrible after firmware update. Really! Do not buy it.

You better of with Crucial M500/550 or Intel or Samsung.

Not only that, Kingston changed the NAND chips to cheaper, slower ones. It was all over tech news a few months back.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7763/an-update-to-kingston-ssdnow-v300-a-switch-to-slower-micron-nand

A relative of mine was just thinking of getting a 240GB V300...and I had to go to their house, and yelled NO. They ended up getting a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB instead. This was literally just two days ago.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

Not only that, Kingston changed the NAND chips to cheaper, slower ones. It was all over tech news a few months back.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7763/an-update-to-kingston-ssdnow-v300-a-switch-to-slower-micron-nand

A relative of mine was just thinking of getting a 240GB V300...and I had to go to their house, and yelled NO. They ended up getting a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB instead. This was literally just two days ago.

Yeah. I did not get this move, because they were good budget SSDs, but then all of this started.

Intel i7 2600 @ 4.2 Ghz | MSI Z77-GD55 | Crucial 16 GB DDR3 RAM 1600Mhz | Intel 330 SSD 180Gb | Western Digital Black 1Tb | Western Digital Green 2Tb | Gigabyte GTX 650 Ti | OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W | Thermaltake Commander MS-I case | OS X Yosemite | Dell Vostro 3550 Windows 10

Intel Xeon 1230 V2 | Gigabyte GA-H61M-S | Kingston 4Gb RAM 1333Mhz | Seagate 1TB  | Fractial Design Arc mini | Windows 10

I have it and its very reliable i have BF4 on it too and diablo 3...you dont need anything faster honestly.

Everyone nowdays is like get the samsung evo 840 blah blah,well if its same price where you live get the samsung where i live samsung evo 120 gb vs kingston v300 120gb is 60% more expensive,so get the v300 if thats the case easy.

I have it and its very reliable i have BF4 on it too and diablo 3...you dont need anything faster honestly.

Everyone nowdays is like get the samsung evo 840 blah blah,well if its same price where you live get the samsung where i live samsung evo 120 gb vs kingston v300 120gb is 60% more expensive,so get the v300 if thats the case easy.

If price difference is 60% now, and it was like 10-15% why do you think it is like that??

Older V300 are great, until you do firmware upgrade. New now is not worth buying.

If price difference is 60% now, and it was like 10-15% why do you think it is like that??

Older V300 are great, until you do firmware upgrade. New now is not worth buying.

Ive bought mine 2 months ago with latest firmware installed thats not even avaible on their website for update and its been flawless and performance as expected and its 3 times better read/write than my old 60gb Vertex2.

Its not close to Samsung evo 840 but you wont even notice the difference, from a vertex2 to a v300 yes but between v300 and evo is minimal,you will only see much better benchmark but day to day use and loading BF4 for instance there wont be any.

For instance my OS boots faster by 2-3 sec than vertex2, but battlefield 4 doesnt load any faster on v300 vs vertex2.

For OP if you want cheap decent SSD v300 might cut it,but if you can afford go for the samsung.

The kingston is probably the weakest sata III 6gb/s 120gb drive on market probably right now but that doesnt make it useless.

Where did you get the idea, that firmware upgrade hurts V300 ?

+°´°+,¸¸,+°´°~ Glorious PC master gaming race :wub: ~°´°+,¸¸,+°´°+
BigBox: Asus P8Z77-V, 3570k, 8GB Ram, Intel 180GB & Sammy 750GB, HD4000, W7
PiBox: Rasberry Pi, BCM @ 1225Mhz ^_^ , 256MB Ram, 16GB Storage, pIO, Raspbian

Just stay away from V300. Very slow flash and flawed controller coupled with shady moves on kingston side its really not worth it.

Just get m500, mx100 or something from adata...

Where did you get the idea, that firmware upgrade hurts V300 ?

Just Google it.

Ive bought mine 2 months ago with latest firmware installed thats not even avaible on their website for update and its been flawless and performance as expected and its 3 times better read/write than my old 60gb Vertex2.

Its not close to Samsung evo 840 but you wont even notice the difference, from a vertex2 to a v300 yes but between v300 and evo is minimal,you will only see much better benchmark but day to day use and loading BF4 for instance there wont be any.

For instance my OS boots faster by 2-3 sec than vertex2, but battlefield 4 doesnt load any faster on v300 vs vertex2.

For OP if you want cheap decent SSD v300 might cut it,but if you can afford go for the samsung.

The kingston is probably the weakest sata III 6gb/s 120gb drive on market probably right now but that doesnt make it useless.

Ok, you can risk. Ido not want to take my chances with SSD that is risky and might or might not work as good as it should.

Intel is safest bet, Samsung is very close to that. Kingston is a lot more risk.

Just Google it.

Well, you're wrong there buddy or you're just lacking basic reading skills.

While newer firmware and crappy versions do relate (they had to issue a new firmware for async flash to be compatabile) this new firmware has no effect on older toshiba toggle nand drives.

Ok, you can risk. Ido not want to take my chances with SSD that is risky and might or might not work as good as it should.

Intel is safest bet, Samsung is very close to that. Kingston is a lot more risk.

Sandforce based intels are just as crappy as everything else. While 730 series is good, its not really aimed at typical users.

Well, you're wrong there buddy or you're just lacking basic reading skills.

While newer firmware and crappy versions do relate (they had to issue a new firmware for async flash to be compatabile) this new firmware has no effect on older toshiba toggle nand drives.

As far as I read, all problems started with firmware update, that made V300 SSDs run really slow.

The fact, that Kingston chanded NAND before that is irrelevant fro me or some others. As far as I understand now, there are two types of NAND in these V300, old ones work ok with all firmware, new ones working ok just with some of the latest firmware, with some it is lagging.

Sandforce based intels are just as crappy as everything else. While 730 series is good, its not really aimed at typical users.

Intel redisigned all controller and that is one of the best on this planet. All of Intels 33X, 5XX, 7XX series run great. Yuo have something against Sandforce, but that is your problem.

As far as I read, all problems started with firmware update, that made V300 SSDs run really slow.

The fact, that Kingston chanded NAND before that is irrelevant fro me or some others. As far as I understand now, there are two types of NAND in these V300, old ones work ok with all firmware, new ones working ok just with some of the latest firmware, with some it is lagging.

Intel redisigned all controller and that is one of the best on this planet. All of Intels 33X, 5XX, 7XX series run great. Yuo have something against Sandforce, but that is your problem.

You didn't read very well. The only slow running v300 are the ones with async flash. Firmware updates don't play a role here, since its not the issue with firmware, but with crappy flash used in newer revision.

Firmware is just a side effect needed to include support for newer flash. People think, when they bough v300 recently, that is the firmware (since it ships with newer version) issue, but its really not.

And no, intel didn't redesign shit. Their sandforce line (3xx, 5xx) is all stock sandforce (even firmware is mostly stock) while 72x is new, but based on their enterprise controller.

And no, intel didn't redesign shit. Their sandforce line (3xx, 5xx) is all stock sandforce (even firmware is mostly stock) while 72x is new, but based on their enterprise controller.

From 520/330 SSD Intel has made its own firware for Sandforce based controllers.

And Intel has great reviews all over the internet, so why do you think that wold happen. And Intel, company that has not "redesign shit", is mad, because they are giving 5 year warranty for Sandforce based SSDs. They are mad.

If you want cheap ADATA SX900. Without speed loss. 

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

From 520/330 SSD Intel has made its own firware for Sandforce based controllers.

And Intel has great reviews all over the internet, so why do you think that wold happen. And Intel, company that has not "redesign shit", is mad, because they are giving 5 year warranty for Sandforce based SSDs. They are mad.

They didn't make their own firmware at all (as they don't have access to source code) but sandforce tweaked their firmware a little. It's been widely disscussed, that the whole custom firmware was a total marketing bullshit.

As far as warranty goes; that really doesn't have anything to do with the issues these controllers STILL have (i know because i own one and i STILL get BSODs -- intel quality my ass).

They didn't make their own firmware at all (as they don't have access to source code) but sandforce tweaked their firmware a little. It's been widely disscussed, that the whole custom firmware was a total marketing bullshit.

As far as warranty goes; that really doesn't have anything to do with the issues these controllers STILL have (i know because i own one and i STILL get BSODs -- intel quality my ass).

Well, if I would not installed about 15 Intel Sandforce SSDs, I would say you are right. But since I have done that during 2 year period and all of them ar running great, I would say you are a bit unhappy.

If you have one SSD with bad controller under warranty and you do not RMA that, I do not know how to call you so that is not rude.

I is visible, that you are against Intel no matter what others says.

Well, if I would not installed about 15 Intel Sandforce SSDs, I would say you are right. But since I have done that during 2 year period and all of them ar running great, I would say you are a bit unhappy.

If you have one SSD with bad controller under warranty and you do not RMA that, I do not know how to call you so that is not rude.

I is visible, that you are against Intel no matter what others says.

It was already replaced and issues still persist (BSODs). It really a design flaw of the controller (i've explained this in my other posts) and has nothing to do with intel. They just happen to use that controller, because they stopped caring much about consumer line, once profits started to drop (when more people came into game). Thats why we still don't see a custom controller for their consumer line. Because it costs money to develop a controller and firmware and intel doesn't want to spend money on something, that they cant sell with 500%+ markup. Prosumer and enterprise drives obviously get a custom controller and firmware, since there are much larger profit margins.

tl;dr

consumer intel drives are shit (just like everything else with sandforce) value for the money.

I was lucky enough to get one on sale in December for $65 before they switched to slower NAND.

It's my first SSD, so I can't really compare my experience with it to anything else. I would probably go with an EVO next time though.

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK | BENQ XL2420TE | ROCCAT SAVU | FRACTAL DEFINE R4