R9 295x2.. not worth it.

cam_96

Well, it will probably (although who knows) RUN games in 12 years, but on the lowest settings at low framerates... future proofing doesn't exist in the world of personal computers, it's a random thing wether in 2 days a component comes out that is twice as fast as what you just bought for a fraction of the price or if instead to get a real improvement you need to wait for years (as is the case with cpus at the moment). Long story short, if he needs all that performance, get crossfire r9 290s instead, they are much cheaper and much better bang for the buck. Otherwise a single r9 290 is plenty for most people.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

lol 2 R9 290's in crossfire is better than that 295

They really aren't though the 295x2 is basically 2 overclocked 290Xs in one card with an AIO.

Either way I don't understand why at 1080p you would get a 295x2 just one 290x would do fine and then you add another later if you really need it.

By the sounds of it he just wants bragging rights let him waste his money into inflating his ego.

My Rig : Zotac 780 3GB, i5 4670k, H105, M1211 650W, 8GB 2133mhz vengence pro, Mini R2, 144Hz AOC Gsync Monitor

Accessories : K65, Naos 3200, Superlux 681, Chord CCU1

omg you're one of the mislead people, anyway there is a thing called non refrence coolers and yea its a thing

just gonna leave this

60574.png oh look it runs cooler than almost all the cards on the list.

praise be upon sapphire.

I know that the Sapphire would be cooler than ref 290. Just say in the WC in the 295x2 should be cooler

My current rig for entertainment/gaming: i5 4570 3,2GHz; MSI B85M-E45; ZOTAC GTX760 AMP!; 8GB (2x4GB) by Kingston; Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200rpm; Corsair 200R, Corsair VS650; Dell U2312HM, Samsung DVD R/W optical drive; CM Devastator; Corsair MM400 gaming pad

I know that the Sapphire would be cooler than ref 290. Just say in the WC in the 295x2 should be cooler

WC?

My PC

[ I5 4690k (no oc) - Gigabyte Z97 D3H - 8GB Ram - Sapphire R9 280X Vapor-X ]

WC?

Water cooling?

My current rig for entertainment/gaming: i5 4570 3,2GHz; MSI B85M-E45; ZOTAC GTX760 AMP!; 8GB (2x4GB) by Kingston; Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200rpm; Corsair 200R, Corsair VS650; Dell U2312HM, Samsung DVD R/W optical drive; CM Devastator; Corsair MM400 gaming pad

First it's not stupid and all a lie. It's only very theoretical and not safe at all. One Titan Black will probably perfrom better regarding long term (at least 5 years from now) imo, because you can't rely on CF after such a long time, also the Titan Black got 2 GB more VRAM.

Future proof is a lie cause no hardware is or was ever "Future proof". What not safe ? CF and SLI gets better as the years go by and the Titan Black wont have the GPU horse Power to run much of any new games that comes out in 5 years and ditto for any other single GPU you can get today.

omg you're one of the mislead people, anyway there is a thing called non refrence coolers and yea its a thing

just gonna leave this

60574.png oh look it runs cooler than almost all the cards on the list.

praise be upon sapphire.

Tbh, if you leave auto-fan modes on thats how they run.

If I turn my reference 290x's fan speed up above the automatic speed, it runs fine at 78-82, albeit loud as f***.

Then again I'm just waiting on someone to buy my cpu+mobo and I'll have my custom loop done

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

It would be cheaper to watercool a couple of r9 290Xs and it will be about the same performance

It would be cheaper to watercool a couple of r9 290Xs and it will be about the same performance

The wonderful thing about the 295x2 is that's it is essentially plug and play. Not so wonderful is the price but still not to bad cause you get a quality built card that is super powerful and not noisy. 

12 years? That's a little enthusiastic...

By that time we hopefully will have graphene chips that operate at 1.21 Terrahertz and higher

144Hz goodness

12- 13 years?

Your friend is an idiot. :D

12- 13 years?

Your friend is an idiot. :D

Haha, I know!

Haha, I know!

That time frame would put AMD and nvidia out of commission LOL. They would have to charge 4x the current price to even stay afloat LOl.

Well it will run games at ultra for 12-13 years... just not new games..... That is if the card lives that long...

That time frame would put AMD and nvidia out of commission LOL. They would have to charge 4x the current price to even stay afloat LOl.

I know right!! They wouldn't have to produce another card for years and they would be poor haha

I know right!! They wouldn't have to produce another card for years and they would be poor haha

My friend is set on buying the r9 295x2. He thinks that it will be able to play games on ultra in 12-13 YEARS!! That's not the case but I want your guys input anyways. I told him that technology is advancing and there will most likely be a better and cheaper card in the future that will play the latest games as graphics advance as well.

The Build: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/godlycam/saved/jk3mP6

By the an entry level card would likely beat the 295x2 with lower power consumption, thermals and noise levels. What res is he playing at?

Using Tapatalk

Remind your friend where GPU tech was 10 years ago... the 6xxx series from Nvidia/9xxx from ATI. Those chips are completely irrelevant now.

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

Gotta say I like your friends ability to take a $4000 build and make it lame by tossing Razer peripherals into it.

Havent read the whole thread but:

I tested my 8600gts from 2007 recently, where it was a decent mid end card (remember, 7 years ago) and nowadays it can't play shit. Try again in 3-6 years and you cannot launch the game anymore lol.

But tbh i think the 295x2 is a pretty epic card. Is it worth the 500bucks more than 290? No, but its still a pretty good card (for 2-3 years)

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

By the an entry level card would likely beat the 295x2 with lower power consumption, thermals and noise levels. What res is he playing at?

1080p lol

1080p lol

Lmfao r9 280x and good to go. Or 770/780 is fine if nVidia is the ops forte.

Using Tapatalk

295x2 is the fastest GPU on the planet and will play games @ 1080P for years to come at high framerates and max settings as long as the game supports CF.

But it thermally throttles like hell. Read some reviews on newegg. PLUS your power bill will skyrocket. And your desktop will become a space heater.

If you can keep it cool and you have deeeeeeeeeep pockets, it's a good buy.

Eric S. Raymond used an E6600 from 2005 until 12/30/14 or open source software creation. Raw data computations in excess of 18GB each. Core 2 Duos still have tons of life left, my friend.

But it thermally throttles like hell. Read some reviews on newegg. PLUS your power bill will skyrocket. And your desktop will become a space heater.

If you can keep it cool and you have deeeeeeeeeep pockets, it's a good buy.

Well you are wrong on many front's. The 295x2 does not in any way throttle back at all. It runs cool and has got rave reviews by all publications. newegg is full of noobs and general computer dumb asses LOL. If you base your opinion on computer products by reading newegg user reviews I don't think you can call yourself a real enthusiast.

Well you are wrong on many front's. The 295x2 does not in any way throttle back at all. It runs cool and has got rave reviews by all publications. newegg is full of noobs and general computer dumb asses LOL. If you base your opinion on computer products by reading newegg user reviews I don't think you can call yourself a real enthusiast.

Lol I never did. ^^

Eric S. Raymond used an E6600 from 2005 until 12/30/14 or open source software creation. Raw data computations in excess of 18GB each. Core 2 Duos still have tons of life left, my friend.