R9 295x2.. not worth it.

cam_96

My friend is set on buying the r9 295x2. He thinks that it will be able to play games on ultra in 12-13 YEARS!! That's not the case but I want your guys input anyways. I told him that technology is advancing and there will most likely be a better and cheaper card in the future that will play the latest games as graphics advance as well.

The Build: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/godlycam/saved/jk3mP6

post-87633-0-46598900-1405921423.png

Imo if you want two GPU's, buy two GPU's, not a dual GPU single card.

$1500 is a lotttttttt of money for one single component, regardless of how well it performs.

About the "future proofing", we don't even know what is going to happen in a week, let alone in 12 years.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

I mean there are better price/performance options but the 295X2 is a great card for the money and it will handle games well. I hope he has an appropriate monitor.

*imagines how somebody hooks up a 8 y/o TN panel via VGA*

who cares...

That's why I never recommend people to spend over 2k$ for gaming pc...

My current rig for entertainment/gaming: i5 4570 3,2GHz; MSI B85M-E45; ZOTAC GTX760 AMP!; 8GB (2x4GB) by Kingston; Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200rpm; Corsair 200R, Corsair VS650; Dell U2312HM, Samsung DVD R/W optical drive; CM Devastator; Corsair MM400 gaming pad

12 years yup i am playing BF4 on GeForce4 MX440.There is no hardware that will last you 12 years

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

295x2 is the fastest GPU on the planet and will play games @ 1080P for years to come at high framerates and max settings as long as the game supports CF.

Maybe he could play those in 12 years, but who on earth will still be using 1080p?

Explain to him that a R9 295X is just 2 R9 290X on the same PCB, and he is overspending $500. 

Honestly the best way to be always able to run your games is to upgrade your system each 3 years, not spending 4k on a system...

A R9 295X2 will not even reach the minimum requirements in 12-13 years ...

Nobody can say how quick hardware will advance in the next 10 years or so. If you want the most futureproof card you get the best single chip card that's available at the moment. In this case a Titan Black or a R9 290X. The Titan Black will be better though. In 10 years we'll all be playing with 4k displays at least. How many Titan Blacks do we need nowadays to run something like Watch Dogs on 4k with everything set on Ultra at 50-60 fps? 3? Probably 4?

ASUS ROG Strix X570-E + AMD Ryzen 3800X; EVGA GTX 1070Ti FTW Supersilent; 16GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600; bequiet! Dark Power Pro 10 750W; Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD + 2x 1TB 860 EVO; PHANTEKS Evolve X + Custom Liquid Cooling

295x2 is the fastest GPU on the planet and will play games @ 1080P for years to come at high framerates and max settings as long as the game supports CF.

It's a pure waste of money using R9295X2 to play at 1080p

My current rig for entertainment/gaming: i5 4570 3,2GHz; MSI B85M-E45; ZOTAC GTX760 AMP!; 8GB (2x4GB) by Kingston; Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200rpm; Corsair 200R, Corsair VS650; Dell U2312HM, Samsung DVD R/W optical drive; CM Devastator; Corsair MM400 gaming pad

lol 2 R9 290's in crossfire is better than that 295

My PC

[ I5 4690k (no oc) - Gigabyte Z97 D3H - 8GB Ram - Sapphire R9 280X Vapor-X ]

I mean there are better price/performance options but the 295X2 is a great card for the money and it will handle games well. I hope he has an appropriate monitor.

*imagines how somebody hooks up a 8 y/o TN panel via VGA*

I still play 1080P on VGA and a TN panel. I actually kinda like it.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

lol 2 R9 290's in crossfire is better than that 295

And hotter as well, unless you watercooling it

Maybe he could play those in 12 years, but who on earth will still be using 1080p?

Explain to him that a R9 295X is just 2 R9 290X on the same PCB, and he is overspending $500.

Honestly the best way to be always able to run your games is to upgrade your system each 3 years, not spending 4k on a system...

Exactly, I will probably use my 1080p monitor as a door mat in 12 years, its way overkill. I forgot to mention he is also a producer which doesn't take that much power anyway

A R9 295X2 will not even reach the minimum requirements in 12-13 years ...

Nobody can say how quick hardware will advance in the next 10 years or so. If you want the most futureproof card you get the best single chip card that's available at the moment. In this case a Titan Black or a R9 290X. The Titan Black will be better though. In 10 years we'll all be playing with 4k displays at least. How many Titan Blacks do we need nowadays to run something like Watch Dogs on 4k with everything set on Ultra at 50-60 fps? 3? Probably 4?

"Future proof" is the stupid term when referring to PC components because it's an all out lie and can never be achieved. That said a 295x2 is a great card that will last the longest because you get 2 highest end GPUs on one card and if a game does not support CF you can always just roll back to a single GPU but when a game supports CF well you are ready to go.

He's better off with two 290X's. And unless he's gaming at 4K already, two 780 Ti's would still be better.

Technology IS advancing albeit a lot slower than it was before. Nvidia released a statement not too long ago saying the huge jumps between hardware generations were coming to a close and most likely it will only be slight improvements from here on out. I mean, 4K is available now and SLI 780's can play on it quite well. Not max with 60FPS by any means but quite well. This is a new technology too and is already capable to be used by what we currently have. The 800 series will probably net more performance at 4K but not much and so on and so forth. We won't see things like in the past.

EDIT: Also there is nothing pushing that kind of innovation either, 4K isn't a ubiquitous technology and will most likely not be the standard for 4 or 5 years. Hell 1440p isn't even a standard on monitors just yet, so why push advancement in a technological realm with a smaller market?

It's a pure waste of money using R9295X2 to play at 1080p

Not if you want to max games out with the best IQ and super sample AA you actually need dual cards. Games like Crysis 3, MLL, The Witcher 2/3 and many more need dual cards to max out and still get top framerates and IQ even at 1080P.

Well its his money. So what can we say about it? :lol:

It makes me cringe that someone even wants to spend that much on what they think is future proof, which is not at all

And hotter as well, unless you watercooling it

omg you're one of the mislead people, anyway there is a thing called non refrence coolers and yea its a thing

just gonna leave this

60574.png oh look it runs cooler than almost all the cards on the list.

praise be upon sapphire.

My PC

[ I5 4690k (no oc) - Gigabyte Z97 D3H - 8GB Ram - Sapphire R9 280X Vapor-X ]

He's better off with two 290X's. And unless he's gaming at 4K already, two 780 Ti's would still be better.

Haha, he doesn't have the computer yet, he is still dreaming! :D

"Future proof" is the stupid term when referring to PC components because it's an all out lie and can never be achieved. That said a 295x2 is a great card that will last the longest because you get 2 highest end GPUs on one card and if a game does not support CF you can always just roll back to a single GPU but when a game supports CF well you are ready to go.

First it's not stupid and all a lie. It's only very theoretical and not safe at all. One Titan Black will probably perfrom better regarding long term (at least 5 years from now) imo, because you can't rely on CF after such a long time, also the Titan Black got 2 GB more VRAM.

ASUS ROG Strix X570-E + AMD Ryzen 3800X; EVGA GTX 1070Ti FTW Supersilent; 16GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600; bequiet! Dark Power Pro 10 750W; Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD + 2x 1TB 860 EVO; PHANTEKS Evolve X + Custom Liquid Cooling

I still play 1080P on VGA and a TN panel. I actually kinda like it.

I have a 8 y/o TN panel but it was one of the best back then and it has served me well. I have DVI though... :P Modern IPS screens are just so frikking expensive.

who cares...

That's why I never recommend people to spend over 2k$ for gaming pc...

For people that like to modify and build custom loops, etc and have top of the line enthusiast parts, they usually spend over that.