I7-930 stock speed bottleneck?

Blue Gummy

So i know that this might not be a completly GPU oriented thread but hey... Here goes my first try at a thread.

So i'm considering getting a new GPU to replace my old GTX470. The problem comes when i don't know weather or not my CPU will create a bottleneck when i choose to upgrade. I'm running a Core i7-930 clocked at 2.6ghz is it? [stock] speed and I want to upgrade to say... a GTX760.
How high can i go before i hit a bottleneck?
Any comments will be apreciated.

NOTE: I don't plan to go with amd's gpu since.... We have.. history together... Yes i'm a fanboy, let me be.

So i know that this might not be a completly GPU oriented thread but hey... Here goes my first try at a thread.

So i'm considering getting a new GPU to replace my old GTX470. The problem comes when i don't know weather or not my CPU will create a bottleneck when i choose to upgrade. I'm running a Core i7-930 clocked at 2.6ghz is it? [stock] speed and I want to upgrade to say... a GTX760.

How high can i go before i hit a bottleneck?

Any comments will be apreciated.

NOTE: I don't plan to go with amd's gpu since.... We have.. history together... Yes i'm a fanboy, let me be.

No, it won't bottleneck that GPU.

The I7- 930 is still a pretty good CPU to date. -

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

Okay... I was just wonderring since it is a 4 year old CPU. 
Glad it's not like when i tried to upgrade my 12 year old Pentium system.

• 2 weeks later...

Seems like i'll get a new graphics card sooner than later.

My old 470 just crapped out on me in the summer heat and now a brand new 750ti is in the mail.

Seems like i'll get a new graphics card sooner than later.

My old 470 just crapped out on me in the summer heat and now a brand new 750ti is in the mail.

Noway a 750 ti will bottleneck that CPU. Enjoy the new GPU!

CPU: Intel i7 4770k w/Noctua NH-D15, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 Ultra Durable, RAM: Patriot 8Gb 1600Mhz (2x4Gb), GPU: MSI R9 390x Gaming,

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 1Tb, HDD: Caviar Black 1Tb, Seagate 4Tb Hybrid, Case: Fractal Design Define R4, PSU: Antec Earthwatts 750w 

Phone: LG G2 32Gb Black (Verizon) Laptop: Fujitsu Lifebook E754 w/ 1TB Samsung 840 Evo SSD Vehicle: 2012 Nissan Xterra named Rocky

Are you sure on this? My brother had a 670 and a non-overclocked 930 also, and it is very easy to say the cpu was cutting of the 670 in many of the newer games actually.

I gave him a 2700k and an Asus Z68 Deluxe Gen3 motherboard when I upgraded, and overclocked it to 4.8GHz after we installed in his system. Now he gets 10-15FPS higher in all those games that ran badly, mostly strategy and open world games.

Are you sure on this? My brother had a 670 and a non-overclocked 930 also, and it is very easy to say the cpu was cutting of the 670 in many of the newer games actually.

I gave him a 2700k and an Asus Z68 Deluxe Gen3 motherboard when I upgraded, and overclocked it to 4.8GHz after we installed in his system. Now he gets 10-15FPS higher in all those games that ran badly, mostly strategy and open world games.

PCI-E 3.0 compared to PCI- E 2.0.

Also, it's a faster CPU, so of course it's going to give you more FPS. 

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

PCI-E 3.0 compared to PCI- E 2.0.

Also, it's a faster CPU, so of course it's going to give you more FPS. 

The faster CPU making a difference yes, but not PCI-e, 670 is by no means a GPU that would need that doubled bandwidth, and particularly not whilst gaming and even more specifically not 15fps.

If a platform upgrade gives your GPU 30% more performance, then that means the GPU was bottlenecked in my opinion.

Not to mention 2700k does not support PCI-e 3.0 of course.