How's your machine holding up this summer?

So... My machine is not loving the heat or humidity this summer... It's only 25c in the room, but my Radion HD 68 series card is running an average of 102c (and yes, fans are clean). So I thought time to do something about that:

Step 1. Remove side panel

Step 2. Plug in 18" floor fan

Step 3. Place 18" floor fan as close as possible pointing directly into the case

Step 4. Run a demanding game, crank the settings up and set floor fan on max

Results:

Temperatures went from 102/103c to low 80s :)

It might be a little noisy but hey, it's game on!

How's your machine holding up?

UPDATE 21/07/14

Well I had enough of the floor fan in the machine so I decided to get into things and see what was the problem as it wasn't like this last summer, here's what I found:

1. Ripped out the GFX card
2. On first inspection, clean as a whistle (as I had already given the fans and heatsink a quick brush at the start of the month (but case was on))
3. Took casing off the card, few clumps of hardened dust fell out (corner gatherings etc)
4. Took a clean paint brush and started ramming it into the heat sink, then air dustered it, a bit of dust came out but not that much
5. Made sure everything was secure, tight and looking good
6. Put it all back to together and in the machine

Room temperature 25.5c desktop temp with Chrome running editing this 60c / 61c
Room temperature 25.5c running mmo on medium high settings for past 4 hours 86c to 90c

So looks like either something wasn't secure or that little bit of dust which I wouldn't normally be concerned about was the cause. I'm going to go with something not being secure, nowhere near enough dust in heat sink to cause +15c / +18c

D

post-63783-0-45289200-1405766387_thumb.j

I hope well, it's in a box in a metal storage box, in the middle of a desert.

its been constant 32-34c in Malaysia in the afternoon.

but mine still able to maintain max 75c max CPU/GPU

CPU: Intel i5-4670K CPU Cooler: Swiftech H240-X Motherboard: ASUS Z97 Sabertooth Mark 1 Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866MHz 16GB Storage:  Samsung 850 evo 250GB ,1TB WD BLUE, Seagate Barracuda 2TB GPU: ASUS STRIX GTX970 4GB Case: Fractal Design Define R5 PSU: Corsair AX760 Full Modular Monitor: Dell 23" S2340L IPS Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB Mouse: Logitech G502(w/ Mi Metal Mousepad) Headphone: Audio Technica ATH-M50/MSR-7 Speaker: Edifier Studio 7 R2730DB

A metal fan shroud, well that's fancy.

It's okay. I, however am not, I despise the Summer, my body isn't ready.

"How hard can it be?" - Jeremy Clarkson

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

"There's an old saying that God exists in your search for him. I just want you to understand that I ain't looking." - Leslie Nielsen

Could be worse, could be better. Haven't had to rig up anything like your monstrosity yet lol

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

Mine's running absolutely fine. I and not a single person I know has AC.

Specs are on my profile page

Teach a man to fish and he ends up sticking a screw driver in a turned on power supply seeing if it still works.        #KilledMyWifeWithABomb            Resolution is just a number

It's winter where I am, but it held up nicely the last 6 or 7 months. But I didn't use it during january which should be the warmest part so I'm not entirely sure.

EDIT: I remembered the fact that it warmed up my room a bit while rendering. But you had to be going from one room to the other to really notice it.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

Mine's holding up as it always has, it's always summer in Singapore  :(

i5-4670k @4.2GHz Sapphire Tri-X R9 290 @1135MHz 1600MHz G.Skill RipjawsX 8GB Samsung 840 EVO 120GB Samsung 850 EVO 250GB

Corsair K70 Logitech G502 Proteus Core Logitech G230 Blue Snowball SteelSeries QcK+

YouTube // Steam // Twitter // Facebook // Google+

Not even a change.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

its super hot.but i belive it will survive

Hot as hell. Around 20°C - 30°C, can't open the window due to sh*tloads of mosquitoes, my rig would otherwise be fine, but the GPU reaches as high as 92°C when playing demanding (or poorly optimized...) games, and the GPU fan speed stays at least at 50% when at idle, and under load it gets to the max 100%. So it's hot, loud, and the rig just so happens to be right next to me on the computer desk. Almost can't hear sh*t...

My room is basically a second sauna of my home when putting load on the GPU.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

Not even hitting 25C in my room.

I giggle when I see a PC with a fan blowing directly onto the components from outside the case. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

Well, since I just received my new r9 290x to replace my 780, it's so-so.

Still have the 780 upstairs in my cousins PC until my friend finishes paying me for it.

He has nearly zero fans in the case, yet it maxes out at around 75c after benching for 20minutes..

Meanwhile, I put my 290x in my case with 2 fans giving it fresh air, and it still hits 90C at reasonable fan speeds, I could turn it up more and get colder temps, but my ears can't handle that lol.   Hell, I even downclocked it to 500 mhz and -100mv on the core, it still hits like 65c at 50% fan speed. LOL.

Can't wait to order my custom loop.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Well it's winter here in Australia and so mine's doing fine. :D

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

I am MEEEELLLLLLLTTTINNNNNNNNGGGGGGGG in my room!!! It's the first summer I've had with my PC, and the last few days have been the hottest this year in the UK, with frequent thunderstorms, making the air super humid, and it's the first time I've seen forked lightning in England. It's a good 28 Celsius outside and my PC makes my bedroom a good 4-5 Celsius hotter... It's by far the warmest room in the house, even with the curtains shut and the windows and doors open. I can feel the hot air when I sit at my desk. I love hot weather and being warm, but when I've been doing tennis for the last few hours, I want to cool off, and I can't :'(

Aside from that my R9 290 is functioning perfectly. The PC is a little louder but I can never hear it with my headphones on anyway.

| My first build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/117400-my-very-first-build/ | Build for my friend's 18th: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/168660-pc-for-my-friends-18th-with-pictures-complete/ |

ATH-M50X Review: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/165934-review-audio-technica-ath-m50-x/ | Nintendo 3DS XL Review: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/179711-nintendo-3ds-xl-review/ | Game Capture Guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186547-ultimate-guide-to-recording-your-gameplay/

Case: Corsair 200R CPU: i5 4670K @ 3.4GHz RAM: Corsair 8GB 1600MHz C9 Mobo: GIGABYTE Z87-HD3 GPU: MSI R9 290 Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO PSU: EVGA 750W Storage: 120GB SSD, 1TB HDD Display: Dell U2212HM OS: Windows 8

My netbook is hitting 70C (winter is slightly lower), and my grandma's is running fine (for having one of the shittiest heatsinks ever, really only capable of 65 watts, and it's handling a 100 watt APU).

Not sure how my new rig will handle it, since I have yet to get all the parts for it to build it.

EDIT: Here's granny's.

gallery_37587_679_81179.jpg

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

It's pretty hot and it's upstairs so in the hottest part of the house, but the catch is that it's not in a room, the whole of upstairs is practically a large room so it's doing OK.

It's mostly uncomfortable for me.

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

DUST COLLECTOR 2000

Case: Corsair Carbdie 330R Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P Asus Z97-A CPU: AMD FX-6300 i5 4690K 3.5 GHZ + 212 EVO GPU: ASUS GTX 760 DirectCUII Ram: Corsair Vengeance LP 8gb (2x4gb) HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB PSU: Corsair CX500M
Monitor: AOC Q2963pm 29'' 21:9 IPS Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Mousepad: Mionix Sargas 320 Headset: HyperX Cloud Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 RGBIKEA Headset/Headphone Holder

28°C in my apartment and no AC unit...... My PC is holding up really well though, max temps haven't really changed at all because the fans are just ramping up a bit more. Good airflow and cooling + low power components are pretty nice after all, I'm pretty happy that I don't have a 290x heating up everything in my case right now.

Well it's winter here in Australia and so mine's doing fine. :D

Same.

I just installed a new GPU, left side panels off, quiet as a mouse on full load :D

I am MEEEELLLLLLLTTTINNNNNNNNGGGGGGGG in my room!!! It's the first summer I've had with my PC, and the last few days have been the hottest this year in the UK, with frequent thunderstorms, making the air super humid, and it's the first time I've seen forked lightning in England. It's a good 28 Celsius outside

*ahem*

http://local.msn.com/ten-day.aspx?q=El%20Paso-TX&eid=10011&zip=79901

Take a gander.

aa2d5a1373.png

It's about 32-35c in my room, having to run my radiator fans at 1000rpm instead of 600 to keep my 3570k under 50c :(

My 7970 (XFX DD edition) always runs hot because the memory clocks don't idle when I have both monitors plugged in, although it's normally around 48-50c. The core clock isn't idling (925MHz instead of 500MHz) because of youtube so that's bumping the temps up a bit too.

I'm suffering more than my PC is.