July 18th 2014 - The WAN Show Document

LinusTech

Once again I'm relying on the community to save me from watching my own show... If you're watching the show and wouldn't mind filling in the timestamps in the below Google Doc... You're AMAZING!

https://docs.google....dit?usp=sharing

News Items

Iphone 6 specs “leaked”

linustechtips.com OP: IFeaRZz

evad3rs.net

- 4.7-inch 1280x800 resolution

- 32GB, 64GB, 128GB Capacity

- A8 chip with 64-bit architecture + M8 motion coprocessor

- iSight Camera:12 megapixels, 4k Video recording

- Fingerprint 2-Gen. identity sensor

- iOS 8

- Colours : silver, gold, space gray

Google Chrome bug wasting battery on laptops

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: katabeta

Source 2: bgr.com

Source 3: forbes.com

- A major bug in Google’s Chrome web browser that causes the batteries in Windows laptops to drain much faster than normal.

- the issue could cause laptop batteries to die 25% quicker.

- It causes laptops’ processors to wake up and look for tasks 1,000 times each second instead of 64 times per second.

- Google has now acknowledged the issue and is currently working to fix it.

- “In a statement to PCWorld, the company noted that the bug has been assigned internally, and that the Chrome team is working to fix it—though only after Morris shined a spotlight on the issue,” said PCWorld’s Jared Newman

- No timeline given for a fix.

ESPN to cast DotA 2 Tournament

linustechtips.com OP: Dietrichw

theverge.com

steampowered.com

http://www.dota2.com/international/compendium/

- will be featured on the sports network's digital channel, ESPN3

- record-breaking prize pool of more than $10 million

- ESPN-exclusive preview of Monday's final, which will air on ESPN2 at 8:30 PM PST on Sunday

- http://puu.sh/ahmPu/0c7bc93376.png

Google+ withdraws it’s real name policy

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: Builder

Source 2: plus.google.com

Source 3: theregister.co.uk

- The company began deleting accounts that didn't pass its real-names test in 2011.

- In 2012, it offered the trivial concession of allowing users to list their nicknames in their profiles.

- Mountain View has now reversed the policy while defending its former existence on the basis that Google+ was meant to be an "identity service".

- Google+ chief architect Yonatan Zunger noted in response to concerns that the policy change makes it “come out and play” time for trolls, that “One of the reasons this is safe to launch is that our troll-smashing department has gotten very good at their jobs.”

- Linus thoughts: neat to see higher ups doing Q&A on a big change like this.  Was interesting to see many users upset about the change - are you alienating users who perhaps preferred it this way?

The new LG G3 “Beat”

New LG G3

gsmarena.com

- "Smartphone manufacturers cannot ignore this growing segment of consumers who want the best balance of looks, features, performance and, of course, price," : CEO Dr. Jong-seok Park

- 5-inch HD IPS display

- “screen-to-body” ratio of 74.1

- significantly lower resolution of 1,280 x 720

- rear camera reduced from 13 to 8megapixels, still has laser focus functionality

- Snapdragon 400

- quad-core 1.2GHz Cortex-A7 processor

- Adreno 305 GPU

- 1GB of RAM

- 8GB of internal memory

- microSD card slot for memory expansion

- Android 4.4.2 KitKat

- 2,540mAh battery and is user-removable

- Linus Thoughts: concerned about performance with LG’s skin with less RAM (vs 2-3GB in G3) - validates HTC’s strategy of high end build quality across the lineup but delivering a very mediocre spec’ed device at a price that - particularly on contract - isn’t that much lower b/c the hardware isn’t that much of the cost compared to R&D, manufacturing etc.

Google and Novartis smart contact lens partnership

Source 1: theverge.com

Source 2: arstechnica.com

- The Smart contact lens was unveiled by Google X in January.

- The lens promises to analyze tear fluid in the eye to provide constant measurements of a person's blood glucose levels.

- Novartis has now licensed the technology.

- Besides helping diabetics Novartis sees potential for this technology to also help "restore the eye's natural autofocus". Novartis said this focusing problem affects 1.7 billion people.

- It’s a long term project that will take a long time to produce any results.

Mozilla attempt to improve JPEG

Source 1: arstechnica.com

Source 2: theregister.co.uk

- They want to lower the size of images.

- Google has been promoting the use of WebP, the still image derivative of its WebM video codec.

- Mozilla wants to improve JPEG instead.

- They released their own JPEG compression library, mozjpeg 2.0, which reduces file sizes by around five percent compared to the widely used libjpeg-turbo.

- The work results in slightly higher CPU time to compress an image in the first place, but the result are files that are 5-15 percent smaller but which can still be decoded by any software that can handle JPEGs. - compared to to 30% smaller, but only compatible with Chrome and Opera browsers, and largely incompatible with locally run applications.

- mozjpeg is free and permissively licensed, so Mozilla is hoping that it will see widespread adoption.

Project Ara dev boards shipping soon

Source 2: projectara.com

- Google hopes the modular smartphone concept will someday allow users to replace and upgrade hardware components about as easily as you can swap out a removable battery.

- Google is now taking requests for the developer boards, with a plan to ship later this month.

- Ara needs to run on a fork of Android that supports things like hot-swapping hardware components and additional drivers for the hardware ecosystem.

- "UniPro" is the protocol that the modules use to communicate.

- Google said that it plans to have a second hardware release with multiple application processors in the fall.

- Google doesn't mention any kind of cost for the boards.

- The first round of applications is due July 17, 2014, 11:59pm PDT. - so yesterday

Sony  & Microsoft considering Early Access

- Gamasutra: Sony Publisher and Developer Relations VP Adam Boyes said finding a smart way to give players access to games that aren't finished yet is "one of the massive conversations we have internally.".

- Boyes went on to say that Sony is working out guidelines for just how early a game can be before being offered to PlayStation customers.

- ID@Xbox Manager Chris Charla told developers that a similar "early access" scheme on Xbox consoles is "something developers have been asking for, and we are listening really closely to developers."

- Linus thoughts - benefits are obvious, but the drawback is that this continues to train the customer that it’s okay for software to not be finished. BETA software isn’t BETA anymore - look at Gmail - and that’s fine… until you start asking people to pay for access to it… So really nothing is changing… They’re still asking customers to pay for unfinished software… They’re just calling it something else. Unless the early access is treated like a beta/demo like Battlefield Hardline

Comcast Customer service recording

Source 1: theregister.co.uk

(Recording in source 1)

- Ryan Block a VP of product at AOL and a former tech blogger, was moving home and taking the opportunity to scrap his Comcast service after nine years.

- The customer service representative wouldn't take no for an answer for nearly 20 minutes on the phone.

- It's a common sales technique to force a person to reveal his or her desires so that the salesperson can pitch features that appeal – and close the sale.

- "We are very embarrassed by the way our employee spoke with Mr Block and are contacting him to personally apologize. The way in which our representative communicated with him is unacceptable and not consistent with how we train our customer service representatives," said a Comcast spokeswoman."We are investigating this situation and will take quick action. While the overwhelming majority of our employees work very hard to do the right thing every day, we are using this very unfortunate experience to reinforce how important it is to always treat our customers with the utmost respect."

- Comcast regularly scores near the bottom of the authoritative American Customer Satisfaction Index.

- Staff of this kind are typically financially motivated to keep customers from switching providers.

FCC website failure - deadline extended

- The Federal Communications Commission has extended the deadline for submitting initial comments on its network neutrality plan.

- The initial comment period will last until Friday, July 18 (today) at midnight.

- "Not surprisingly, we have seen an overwhelming surge in traffic on our website that is making it difficult for many people to file comments through our Electronic Comment Filing System (ECFS), ;please be assured that the Commission is aware of these issues and is committed to making sure that everyone trying to submit comments will have their views entered into the record."

- The FCC website buckled under the pressure of thousands of people trying to comment before the deadline.

- It appears that the vast majority of commenters support network neutrality rules, with many arguing that the FCC's proposal is too lenient.

- Today's deadline is just for initial comments. Reply comments can be submitted until September 10.

- The FCC has received about 670,000 comments on its proposal, though about two-thirds of those came through e-mail rather than the online system.

Sandisk SSD sales soar

Source 1: theregister.co.uk

- Record second quarter revenue of $1.63bn was 11% up year-on-year. Net income was £274m, 4.6% more than a year ago – with revenues growing faster than profits.

- SanDisk supplies consumer and business flash products, ranging from MicroSD cards to enterprise SSDS and is buying Fusion-IO, the PCIe flash card hardware and software business, for $1.1bn.

- SanDisk evangelises the idea that vertical NAND integration is a key attribute of its business and will remain so.

- SanDisk’s 4TB Optimus Max SSD is the first in its size and could replace 10K rpm disk drives as well as 15K ones in storage arrays and VSAN-ready servers and, if the pricing is right, 7.2K drives for impatient PC owners. SanDisk expects 4TB SSD revenues to ramp up in the second half of this year.

- OCZ had a 4TB Chiron SATA SSD previewed at a January 2012 CES but it never saw the light of day.

Microsoft Cuts 18,000 Jobs

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/182482-microsoft-to-axe-18000-jobs/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-28348223

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/182771-barnacules-nerdgasm-lost-his-job/

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/microsoft-to-cut-18-000-jobs-over-the-next-year-1.2709624?cmp=fbtl

- 14% of their global workforce

- largest round of layoffs in microsoft history, 3x as big as the 2nd largest

- bulk of the layoffs is about getting rid of overlap positions from nokia

- Microsoft stock has risen just over 3% to its highest level in over 14 years

- “we will simplify the way we work to driver greater accountability, become more agile, and move faster” : Satya nadella

Rapid Fire

Millennium bug returns

Nvidia Teaser

The Last of us remastered lets you lock framerate to 30fps

Retailer threatened customer for a negative review

Default passwords in hotel room safes

Passwords study

Moment smartwatch

Developers say consoles couldn't possibly handle star citizen

France passes anti amazon law on book sales

Edited by MG2R
Fixed for dark theme

Love the title :D

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

Yay, I can watch it now. Uh... I was sleeping.

INTEL i5 4670 (non-K) | MSI H81I | XFX Black Edition R9 280 | SAMSUNG 840 EVO 120GB

Seasonic M12II EVO 620W | SEAGATE Barracuda 2TB

CRUCIAL Ballistix Sport 8GB | CM Elite 130

This is really frustrating as to how the RNG works.

Main Machine: Core i7 2600K, 12GB RAM, GTX 970 SLI, P8P67M-PRO, Fractal Define R3, 250GB Samsung 850 EVO, 2TB WDC Green, Windows 10    Laptop: MBP 13" Retina 2014 Haswell: 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, OS X El Capitan

Piano Recording Rig: Compaq HP 6200 SFF Core i3 2100, 4GB RAM, 750GB HDD, Zotac GTX 750 Low Profile OC, Windows 7 Pro

Available Spare Parts: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD

+Linus TechTips Hey man, if you could put some kind of visual time stamp within your Twitch live feeds to let us know what topic you are currently on, I know a few people that would feel grateful! (having no idea what you're talking about for 10 minutes kind of sucks..doesn't happen often, but still)

For those of us not fully acclimated with Twitch we much prefer the youtube experience. I realize that a lot of people are there, among the other things that must draw a channel like yours to it, but a complete experience is kind of what I expect from you. Also live feeds like this are often off the cuff and not fully planned, but I have a feeling you know exactly what will be talked about and, to an extent, in what order.

Finally, I realize that not a lot of people put table of contents' on live videos, it is something the Cynical Brit has always done with his content patches (which aren't live but still), it's something that really gets the attention of the 25year-old+ demographic.

-Thanks, your loyal subscriber

Gaming since 97, aka the Almost No Longer a Noob Squad

God damnit, single post? Really?

INTEL i5 4670 (non-K) | MSI H81I | XFX Black Edition R9 280 | SAMSUNG 840 EVO 120GB

Seasonic M12II EVO 620W | SEAGATE Barracuda 2TB

CRUCIAL Ballistix Sport 8GB | CM Elite 130

PLS FIX COLOUR OF THE TEXT

impossible to read in night theme

Link to wan show when they are wearing PARKAS???

God damnit, single post? Really?

*has 10 posts...

EDIT: Sorry just checked that you have been a member for some time, so my apologies for being rude...

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz

Who one the giveaway?

@ShuColate

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

We will never see him again.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

We will never see him again.

Last active : july 12

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Last active : july 12

TADAAAAAA!!!!

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

TADAAAAAA!!!!

WE'VE STILL GOT A CHANCE!

Do we?

WE'VE STILL GOT A CHANCE!

Do we?

No.

And I think someone ripped me off in the bottom of the spreadsheet.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Slick is right on the money when he says iPhone will be easier to develop for. Android development is doing my head in at the moment and I can't wait to go back to iOS dev.

Things like the Nexus 7 has a front camera but no back camera. So front camera is primary camera. Yet the device will not recognize the requires-permission camera (unless its been fixed) so photo apps that say they require a camera won't even show up in the store.

Then there is the whole issue of getting the camera started. Android has a way to get the front or back camera and open it. Fetch front camera, nope. Fails. You need to fetch the back camera for the front camera to work. Would not expect this from a flagship device...

Not to mention the fragmentation of all the many different devices there are. Does my head in.

On the plus side, androids mdpi, hdpi, xhdpi, xxhdpi systems work a treat. iOS just has @2x before extensions. myImage.png, myImage@2x.png (and then ~ipad.png for ipad, etc etc). Yet there is no way to define an image as being for an iPhone5 (say a background image) so you manually have to detect screen size and load appropriate image. GG.

Long time watcher, first time poster... What app is Luke talking about at 11:05? I know this is a weird reason to sign up for, but... I've been meaning to for awhile and I'm curious about the app (And if they have a devlog somewhere, as it sounds pretty interesting)

Linus, sell me your current XPS 12 for cheap! :D

Ipsa Scientia Potestas Est

Linus, sell me your current XPS 12 for cheap! :D

It has water damage, you may want to reconsider that...

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz