Mechanical Keyboards

Totally-A-Hero
Go to solution Solved by agentagent47,

Are they worth it? My dad thinks its stupid of me to spend $155 on a mechanical keyboard and mouse.Im playing on free keyboard and a $7 HP mouse. The reason this isnt in the keyboard section is becasue i want a lot of responses to prove him wrong. Its my money too.

LOL man LOL !!!! you have the exact problem with me :D. when i was 14 years old ( iam 17 now )...... that's what my dad said it's stupid to  spend $155 or even on my case worst !! my dad said it's stupid to spend $120 on a keyboard....we always use chinese membrane keyboard that like $9/keyboard that broke like every 2 weeks. but i said mechanical keyboard are a lot more reliable and it's more clicky (back then i want to buy cherry mx blue. i don't intruduce him to all of type of switches. only membrane and mechanical ) and it's cool with some weight on them like 1kg ( the one i use is like 100g ). but he said no !!! :(  and he was mad at me and he give me a lecture for like 2 hours how to spend money,what a unwise choice is that.. he even keep talking during dinner,witch is there's a unspoken rule ( if you know what i mean ) " you cannot talk to much while eating..... soo my dad method of teaching me about spending money is like that he stop you before you make the mistake your going to do.... but i am a naughty kid witch in my opinion is i don't learn until i fell the mistake what iam doing....

in my opinion it's hard to switch from cheap membrane keyboard that you thing you are satisfied with it to a expensive at the first but last like years and years mechanical keyboard...

soo i shut up iam don't talk to much always go to my room and always half a sleep. but when my older brother come home from college ( he's like 22 years old back then ) i tell him my decision about buying a mechanical keyboard ( without dad's knowing of course ) but when i start talking and about switches and stuff and showing the keyboard that i want to buy.... he said " NANANANNANANANLALALLALALALLA !!! " he even know there is a problem in some part of the story ( maybe i share everything with him too often when we are kids : D ) he said what's the problem ?? i said dad wouldn't let me buy it ..... :( . you know what he said ??? you stupid idiot !! if you want to buy something that is not at our family normal price ( like $9 for a keyboard is normal family price of course $120 isn't ) never ask dad !!! soo what he recommend me ?? ASK MOM.

soo did. the next day when mom pick me on school she said " where is the place you want to buy the keyboard ?? " she already bring my wallet witch is like a bank for me :D . soo i she took me to the place and at the store she did inturupted me with my choice and when i ask witch is better she always say " witch you prefer ?? it's your money not mine. your money your decision " she wait for me like an hour when i talk to the store owner. and finally i buy it :D :D . but i still afraid what my dad would say.... because my mom method of teaching me is feel the pain or you would not know it.... i guess she talking sense... when the first time she said don't run when crossing the road i don't care about it. what i thing is what's the problem with that ? until not a long time from that i got hit by a motorbike... i learn something.... back to the keyboard... when my dad came home my mom told him i buy that $120 keyboard..... i can see he's face... angry but silence... he came to my room and for truce intent i offer him to try the keyboard and he just " hmm-hmm...,hmm-hmm " well i don't care what he's opinion....because iam happy :D . the next morning when i wake up to prepare my self to go to school i see that the keyboard is gone at first glance i think he's soo angry he dump the keyboard and change it with the $9 keyboard :(  but there's also a anvelope with is a letter said " iam sorry but that is the best keyboard i ever use and i am taking it to work.. and don't even dare ask for it back " and he leave a $150 money to buy another one..... he also leave me a huge yellow smile on a drawing paper.... and i still put that yellow smile on my room wall.... that was it.

sorry it's a bit of a story than a recommendation, but i like typing long things :D :D sorry *truce

Are they worth it? My dad thinks its stupid of me to spend $155 on a mechanical keyboard and mouse.Im playing on free keyboard and a $7 HP mouse. The reason this isnt in the keyboard section is becasue i want a lot of responses to prove him wrong. Its my money too.

† TTCF Member † Jesus loves you! Have a good day and stay techie!

100% worth it, especially if you type alot. I used to wait until i was home to write essays with my mech kb because my laptop keyboard sucked. There are some cheaper mechanical KB options you may want to explore.

proud owner of alienware 13 with graphic amplifier and also a alienware X51 gaming PC!!! really powerfulL!!

xoxo samantha <3

Oh most definitely, I have 22 of them (does that mean I can vote 22 times?) and my collection is still growing. :D  There are some cheaper options like Cooler Master Quickfire Rapid and TK if you don't mind TKL keyboards (TKL = tenkeyless which are boards w/o the numpad section).

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

Oh most definitely, I have 22 of them (does that mean I can vote 22 times?) and my collection is still growing. :D  There are some cheaper options like Cooler Master Quickfire Rapid and TK if you don't mind TKL keyboards (TKL = tenkeyless which are boards w/o the numpad section).

You've spent like $2000 on keyboards is what you're saying?

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

I recently sold my razer blackwidow and am waiting for a K70, living off a membrane until K70 is at my door.

This old membrane feeling so dam bad. I want my K70 NOW.

AMD FX-8350 @4GHz / Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 / G.Skill RipJaw X 8GB 1866Mhz / Samsung 840 120GB SSD / Sapphire R9 270X Toxic / Corsair CX500 / Fractal Design Define R4 / Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue / Xiaomi  Piston 2.0 / Steelseries Sensei / LG G3 32GB

They are easily worth it dude. After buying my CM Storm Quickfire ultimate, I don't want to type on a membrane keyboard ever again.

Im looking at the quikfire tk with MX blues! and a M65

I love my Quickfire Rapid. cherry blues are my favorite switch, but the family gaming PC has reds because they feel more natural for somebody who is used to a membrane switch than a blue switch does. my typing on a laptop membrane keyboard is 45, on a mechanical is 80+ WPM and more comfortable.

Im looking at the quikfire tk with MX blues! and a M65

Blues are shit for games, but for typing, 10/10.

Get Browns, they keep that bump, and are better for games (though that may not be true for you).

How to Post Topics, the Right Way / The Ultimate Build Parts List

"4 words. DON'T BE A DUMBASS" ~@Swndlr

Well yeah people who ssh firewalls all day long, membrane keyboard just survive 3-4 months and once one button is broke the whole keyboard is broke. I've only seen a switch dying after 3 years of use and the keyboard is still functionable - you can resolder a new switch. Theyre just futureproof/waterproof.

Blues are that bad for gaming? The TK only comes with blue backlighting with blue switches, ive never touched a mechanical keyborad before either.

Thanks guys we may have covinced my dad.

Tell your father to shove your current keyboard up his own rectum and go to the store and purchase a mechanical. Then force him to sit down on his now gaping and quite possibly profusely bleeding anus and type on your new keyboard. 

The pain will be instantly relieved from the majesty of his new found love for mechanical keyboards.

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

Haha, both me and my dad were once just as skeptical as your dad. After actually trying out mech keyboards we were blown away. Makes typing essays feel fun xD (well maybe not fun but at least a little more bearable!)

i5-4670k @4.2GHz Sapphire Tri-X R9 290 @1135MHz 1600MHz G.Skill RipjawsX 8GB Samsung 840 EVO 120GB Samsung 850 EVO 250GB

Corsair K70 Logitech G502 Proteus Core Logitech G230 Blue Snowball SteelSeries QcK+

YouTube // Steam // Twitter // Facebook // Google+

Blues are that bad for gaming? The TK only comes with blue backlighting with blue switches, ive never touched a mechanical keyborad before either.

Not at all, unless you like to double tap keys without fully releasing them. Personally I would feel uncomfortable doing that regardless of the switch, it feels safer to me going all the way up.

i5-4670k @4.2GHz Sapphire Tri-X R9 290 @1135MHz 1600MHz G.Skill RipjawsX 8GB Samsung 840 EVO 120GB Samsung 850 EVO 250GB

Corsair K70 Logitech G502 Proteus Core Logitech G230 Blue Snowball SteelSeries QcK+

YouTube // Steam // Twitter // Facebook // Google+

Blues aren't bad for gaming at all. In my opinion, they are better, especially to make sure you're not hitting the wrong key. I also don't like the feeling of Reds and Blacks. So don't worry about if they are good or not, all the switches are perfectly fine for gaming.

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

They are not worth it if u have a obsessive or compulsive disorder. The range of switch types will run your bank balance dry

If it's your money then it's worth it. If it's your dad's money then it's not worth it unless you managed to get him to like it as well.

I always think mechanical keyboards is a luxury item and the one spending the money should be the one enjoying it. Just my 2 cents.

Main PC:
CPU: 3700x Motherboard: X570  RAM: 2x16GB 3600Mhz GPU: RTX 3080 Case: Corsair 4000D Air Storage: 1TB NVMe 2x250GB SSD RAID 0 2TB HDD PSU: 1000W Gold Display: Acer X34A Peripherals: Corsair K95 RGB Red, Razer Viper Ultimate

Laptop:
Lenovo Thinkbook 13s  CPU: i5-8265U RAM: 8GB  Storage: 256GB SSD Display: Dell P2414H Peripherals: CMStorm Quickfire TK Brown, Razer Atheris 

Audio:
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250 Ohm, FiiO E11, Stoner Acoustics UD100, Shure SE-215, Logitech Z906, Mission 731, Altec Lansing ADA-885, xDuoo UA-05, AKG K7XX,FiiO X3, FiiO K3

Definitely worth it, but please try not to fall into the trap of wanting one of every switch type. You'll have a VERY small bank balance if you do.

No, it's pretty much a giant waste of money. Your dad is correct.

They are awesome! You can also tell that they will last for years. I'd take good care of them though, they are pretty expensive. :)

I think it has a 3 year warrnanty too.

I think it has a 3 year warrnanty too.

Yup, most of them have 2-3 year warranties too, so that should be one pro for you as well. :D

You've spent like $2000 on keyboards is what you're saying?

He has multiple boards over the $100 price range you know that right? Last time I remembered he had about 4-5 above the $200 price range.

They're worth it if you like them? Like if the cheapest board you can find ie: monoprice w/ blues, doesn't have a switch you like, why bother paying a load of money assuming you can persuade your dad to get you one.

He has multiple boards over the $100 price range you know that right? Last time I remembered he had about 4-5 above the $200 price range.

They're worth it if you like them? Like if the cheapest board you can find ie: monoprice w/ blues, doesn't have a switch you like, why bother paying a load of money assuming you can persuade your dad to get you one.

Oh I never meant it as a bad thing if that's how you took it. I collect a bunch of stuff I don't need. But you're right, they're definitely worth it.

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6