2 SSDs 1 C: drive.

iamsam

Hey. 

I am running out of space on my C: drive, so I bought a secondary ssd. I was wondering if there was a way to extend the volume of the C drive over both ssds? RAID 0 is out of the question as the drives are not identical. I am storing most of personal data and some programs and games on one of my HDDs, but some applications requires some use of the ssd which, over time has filled the drive.

Anyone have any ideas?

Hey. 

I am running out of space on my C: drive, so I bought a secondary ssd. I was wondering if there was a way to extend the volume of the C drive over both ssds? RAID 0 is out of the question as the drives are not identical. I am storing most of personal data and some programs and games on one of my HDDs, but some applications requires some use of the ssd which, over time has filled the drive.

Anyone have any ideas?

Go through all the files with something like Space Sniffer. My C drive was 121GB full and I deleted about 60GB of unused files.

My PC CPU: 2600K@4.5GHz 1.3v Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 MB: ASUS Maximus IV RAM: Kingston 1600MHz 8GB & Corsair 1600MHz 16GB GPU: 780Ti Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, Samsung 830 256GB SSD, Kingston 128GB SSD, WD Black 1TB,WD Green 1TB. PSU: Corsair AX850 Case: CM HAF X. Optical drive: LG Bluray burner  MacBook Pro, Hackintosh

You can also turn off hibernation.

http://superuser.com/questions/347927/how-to-really-turn-off-hibernation-in-win7

Also RAID would be the only way to merge two drives into one. But the two drives just need to be the same size. They don't have to be the same exact model. It would be best, but not required.

Running Windows 8.1

The two drives are not the same size one is 120gb and the other is 380

Running Windows 8.1

The two drives are not the same size one is 120gb and the other is 380

Unfortunately not

You might just have to install some programs onto the secondary drive instead

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Unfortunately not

You might just have to install some programs onto the secondary drive instead

I've read something about symbolic links wouldn't it be possible to put the programme files on to the 2nd drive and then link it to the original C drive?

I've read something about symbolic links wouldn't it be possible to put the programme files on to the 2nd drive and then link it to the original C drive?

You can, but mots programs will allow you to install them on an alternative drive, if you can I would recommend not messing around with file linking

why not just quickly reinstall some big programs onto the spare SSD

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

You can, but mots programs will allow you to install them on an alternative drive, if you can I would recommend not messing around with file linking

why not just quickly reinstall some big programs onto the spare SSD

Right ok. Thanks for your help :)

put them in jbod?

How difficult is that?

In order to do this you need to buy an HBA (host bus adapter). It will fit into a PCI slot and have a breakout cable (or individual ports) for the SATA connectors. To your system, it will make the two drives 'look' like a single drive, via the magic of JBOD (just a bunch of disks) {make sure your card supports JBOD!}. Other than that, no, you'll need to make them two separate drives.

How difficult is that?

not entirely sure.. but asquirrel may have answered your question...