Maxed out Dual CPU Workstation/4k gaming. Wall of Text.

meikat

@meikat,

An interesting challenge.

Have you considered going with ECC memory?

If you decide to go with non-ECC memory I would suggest 8x8GB kits with better timings G.Skill F3-19200CL10Q2-64GBZHD or F3-2133C9Q2-64GZH or Corsair CMD64GX3M8A2133C9 for example.

The system would be safer with a separate NAS providing backup.

By all accounts the Intel 730's need aggressive cooling.

There are devices that will let you couple psu. http://www.add2psu.com/ - no comment on suitability or quality.

Thanks for your input.  I explained in a previous comment that I could find nothing to convince me to use ECC memory.  As far as the memory I chose, it was the best option off the supported memory list I could find: http://support.asus.com/QVL.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=Z9PE-D8%20WS&os=   I'm afraid of using memory that is not tested by Asus with this board because this board is notorious for being sketchy with memory.  I'm really trying to avoid RMAing parts over and over again and returning one brand to try another.  I'd rather just go with known good parts for anything that is a possible trouble area.

The 730's will be on the right side of the desk mounted to a custom flat panel a few inches from 3 120mm fans.  I think they SHOULD be ok as there will not be very much heat on that side of the rig.  I'm not familiar with the 730's though.  when you say aggressive, I think watercooling... I hope I don't need to watercool them.  I'll look into them a bit later and make sure they're a safe buy.

I had already looked at the site about the PSU coupler, I kinda like the Lian Li adapter more. http://www.frozencpu.com/products/5637/cpa-167/Lian_Li_Dual_Power_Supply_Adapter_Cable.html?tl=g11c28s91  Nevermind, that thing would look hideous.  I didn't realize where it hooked up.  The add2Psu looks like it'll be better because I can stash it in the back compartment where it wont be seen.

Thanks for your input.  I explained in a previous comment that I could find nothing to convince me to use ECC memory.  As far as the memory I chose, it was the best option off the supported memory list I could find: http://support.asus.com/QVL.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=Z9PE-D8%20WS&os=   I'm afraid of using memory that is not tested by Asus with this board because this board is notorious for being sketchy with memory.  I'm really trying to avoid RMAing parts over and over again and returning one brand to try another.  I'd rather just go with known good parts for anything that is a possible trouble area.

The 730's will be on the right side of the desk mounted to a custom flat panel a few inches from 3 120mm fans.  I think they SHOULD be ok as there will not be very much heat on that side of the rig.  I'm not familiar with the 730's though.  when you say aggressive, I think watercooling... I hope I don't need to watercool them.  I'll look into them a bit later and make sure they're a safe buy.

I had already looked at the site about the PSU coupler, I kinda like the Lian Li adapter more. http://www.frozencpu.com/products/5637/cpa-167/Lian_Li_Dual_Power_Supply_Adapter_Cable.html?tl=g11c28s91  Nevermind, that thing would look hideous.  I didn't realize where it hooked up.  The add2Psu looks like it'll be better because I can stash it in the back compartment where it wont be seen.

Sorry I missed your previous ECC comment.

While I don't think any of the kits I suggested would be a problem, especially since they could easily run at higher timings, I certainly understand wanting to go with parts on a motherboard's QVL.

I was thinking about ssd cooling in terms of it usually being passive when I used the word aggressive. What I meant was that one needs to direct cooling over the units as they do use 12v power and according to AnandTech draw 1.5W at idle and can go over 5W. Having nearby fans should be more than sufficient.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Sorry I missed your previous ECC comment.

While I don't think any of the kits I suggested would be a problem, especially since they could easily run at higher timings, I certainly understand wanting to go with parts on a motherboard's QVL.

I was thinking about ssd cooling in terms of it usually being passive when I used the word aggressive. What I meant was that one needs to direct cooling over the units as they do use 12v power and according to AnandTech draw 1.5W at idle and can go over 5W. Having nearby fans should be more than sufficient.

Ok cool.  I'm likely going to have a local machine shop make a black anodized aluminum plate to mount the SSDs to for looks/heat dissipation.  I think that will look nice and be adequate for heat.  That whole assembly will be near 3 120mm fans.  Maybe 2-6 inches away.

GIVE ME THE PRECIOUS.......

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

This build is so nonsensical, i love it.

You said you'll be watercooling, are you going to be doing more than 2 loops?

Depending on size constraints, 3 or 4 might work. I'm no watercooling expert, but putting two Titan Z's on a single loop might be a bit warm, same with two Xeon's, but i don't know for sure.

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

Depending on size constraints, 3 or 4 might work. I'm no watercooling expert, but putting two Titan Z's on a single loop might be a bit warm, same with two Xeon's, but i don't know for sure.

I haven't planned the loop TOO much yet. But the initial idea is to have 2 loops.  Since the Xeons dont put out too much heat, it's mainly just the GPUs.  Maybe have 1 loop hit 1 cpu, 1 gpu card, 1 memory bank, and the other loop do the same with the other parts.  Routing all those tubes is gonna be fun considering we want to use hard tubing not flex tubing.  We're hoping to only need 2 quad radiators.  I'd rather not have to have 4 radiators.  I really think that will be a bit much, especially considering he keeps his AC set at like 68 degrees...

Holy shit (o)_(o) 

That's a mother-of-all-rigs!

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

There is absolutely no need for more than one loop in any liquid cooling system other than aesthetics. What matters is how many radiators are in the loop. a D5 pump is powerful enough for a gigantic loop with 4 GPUs, 2 CPUs, and 20 radiators.

For the OP, I back up your choices on going with titan Zs. I apologise that a lot of people on this forum don't understand that if someone can afford to do so, they can build a $25k PC. Most people are just jealous, but don't let that influence your decision on the parts.

Also make sure you put some fancy lighting into that case :) Bitfenix or phobya LED strips work great, or you could also use the NZXT hue if you want RGB lighting. The 2 meter LED strip that comes with the hue will be the perfect length for that case desk :D

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I haven't planned the loop TOO much yet. But the initial idea is to have 2 loops.  Since the Xeons dont put out too much heat, it's mainly just the GPUs.  Maybe have 1 loop hit 1 cpu, 1 gpu card, 1 memory bank, and the other loop do the same with the other parts.  Routing all those tubes is gonna be fun considering we want to use hard tubing not flex tubing.  We're hoping to only need 2 quad radiators.  I'd rather not have to have 4 radiators.  I really think that will be a bit much, especially considering he keeps his AC set at like 68 degrees...

You could try putting both CPUS and all the little stuff like the memory banks on one loop, and either both Titan Z's on one loop, or on two seperate ones?

I don't know, i still prefer air cooling

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

There is absolutely no need for more than one loop in any liquid cooling system other than aesthetics. What matters is how many radiators are in the loop. a D5 pump is powerful enough for a gigantic loop with 4 GPUs, 2 CPUs, and 20 radiators.

This guy is ready to drop 30 grand on a computer. Something tells me he'd be willing to drop a little for a few more loops

You could try putting both CPUS and all the little stuff like the memory banks on one loop, and either both Titan Z's on one loop, or on two seperate ones?

I don't know, i still prefer air cooling

Yeah... it's really kind of hard to plan the aesthetics and stuff until I really see it all in the case and get a feel for it.  We're going to get everything assembled and running on air cooling, then plan the loop for the watercooling and pull the rig apart again to water cool it about 1-2 weeks later.  Since the desk is basically like a bench system once you take the glass off, it really won't be much of a challenge.  It's a great PC case.  I was really impressed with the fit of everything, and how much thought redharbringer put into it.

This guy is ready to drop 30 grand on a computer. Something tells me he'd be willing to drop a little for a few more loops

True, but it can be a little unpractical when you have to connect all the tubing. If he likes the aesthetics of multi-loop configurations then he should definitely consider it :)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Yeah... it's really kind of hard to plan the aesthetics and stuff until I really see it all in the case and get a feel for it.  We're going to get everything assembled and running on air cooling, then plan the loop for the watercooling and pull the rig apart again to water cool it about 1-2 weeks later.  Since the desk is basically like a bench system once you take the glass off, it really won't be much of a challenge.  It's a great PC case.  I was really impressed with the fit of everything, and how much thought redharbringer put into it.

It's a shame he lives in florida, if he waited till the winter he probably could've heated his house with it on air cooling :P

But seriously, this seems like a pretty cool build, and i wish you guys luck on it!

Man, i could buy a car for that cash...

For storage, just came up an idea

1. your pc should only have a 1TB 840 EVO or intel 730 equivalent

2. Build a NAS with about 10TB storage

=> Save quite a lot of money here

My current rig for entertainment/gaming: i5 4570 3,2GHz; MSI B85M-E45; ZOTAC GTX760 AMP!; 8GB (2x4GB) by Kingston; Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200rpm; Corsair 200R, Corsair VS650; Dell U2312HM, Samsung DVD R/W optical drive; CM Devastator; Corsair MM400 gaming pad

Also make sure you put some fancy lighting into that case :) Bitfenix or phobya LED strips work great, or you could also use the NZXT hue if you want RGB lighting. The 2 meter LED strip that comes with the hue will be the perfect length for that case desk :D

We're actually going with a black color scheme with white accents, and then using the light strips from phillips (http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/08/review-two-new-color-changing-lights-want-to-be-friends-with-philips-hue/ ) around the inside edge of the case.  He has those bulbs and strips throughout his apartment so he can randomly change the color of the lighting in his house.  That way the white parts will glow whatever color the lights are.

For storage, just came up an idea

1. your pc should only have a 1TB 840 EVO or intel 730 equivalent

2. Build a NAS with about 10TB storage

=> Save quite a lot of money here

I stated earlier that he has a TON of electronics in his house.  They're everywhere.  Every console, 2 pianos, keyboards, tablets, 3 laptops, it's like a best buy/apple store in his house.  I don't want to try to find a place to wedge a NAS box and room on his electical grid for it.  We're already having to hire an electrician to make sure he has enough amps in the room for this PC.  He has off site backup already, so we don't really NEED external storage/backup.

We're actually going with a black color scheme with white accents, and then using the light strips from phillips (http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/08/review-two-new-color-changing-lights-want-to-be-friends-with-philips-hue/ ) around the inside edge of the case.  He has those bulbs and strips throughout his apartment so he can randomly change the color of the lighting in his house.  That way the white parts will glow whatever color the lights are.

Ah that sounds great :) good luck!

Spoiler

I'm getting nervous.  He's talking with electricians tomorrow, and as long as we get approval to run 20+ amps through that room, he's ordering parts tomorrow.  This thing is finally happening.

yes 

build log man :)

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

yes 

build log man :)

DEFINITELY.  This would have been started last month, but he was out of the country for a month traveling. We just have to get enough power to that room to actually run this computer, then we'll start building.

AHHAHHAAHHAHAHAAHA

I wanted to write something, but a picture says more than a 1000 words :P

Most parts should arrive later today (Friday) or Monday.  We'll start the build as soon as parts come in and I have a day off.  Either this weekend or next.  Build log will follow shortly after.

Most parts should arrive later today (Friday) or Monday.  We'll start the build as soon as parts come in and I have a day off.  Either this weekend or next.  Build log will follow shortly after.

yay

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.