Why can't you control the graphical settings on console?

As everybody knows, graphical settings that are user configurable are commonplace on PC, why aren't there any on consoles? If someone would want to run a game at 1080P ultra settings at 1FPS why not let them do it?

Or if someone wants to play on minimum settings at 720P at maybe 60FPS why can't you do it? Instead you have a set framerate and a set resolution at a certain graphical setting. 

WHY? 

Are console devs so lazy? Surely there is something else to it.

My PC CPU: 2600K@4.5GHz 1.3v Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 MB: ASUS Maximus IV RAM: Kingston 1600MHz 8GB & Corsair 1600MHz 16GB GPU: 780Ti Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, Samsung 830 256GB SSD, Kingston 128GB SSD, WD Black 1TB,WD Green 1TB. PSU: Corsair AX850 Case: CM HAF X. Optical drive: LG Bluray burner  MacBook Pro, Hackintosh

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Well he was in before laughter

Because console devs strive to have the game playable in the smoothest possible way with the best graphical fedelity they can scrape out of it, consoles are designed to be pick up and play, designed for none-techies

Most console gamers wouldn't know what the hell "anti aliasing" is or what "anisotropic filtering" or "texture quality" was

its POINTLESS to have settings on one

Are they lazy? NO it takes a lot of work getting console games optimised to run as smoothly as they do!!!

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Well he was in before laughter

Because console devs strive to have the game playable in the smoothest possible way with the best graphical fedelity they can scrape out of it, consoles are designed to be pick up and play, designed for none-techies

Most console gamers wouldn't know what the hell "anti aliasing" is or what "anisotropic filtering" or "texture quality" was

its POINTLESS to have settings on one

Sure, most won't know what the settings are, but for those that do know, why not include them? I don't get it. Maybe I'm not supposed to.

My PC CPU: 2600K@4.5GHz 1.3v Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 MB: ASUS Maximus IV RAM: Kingston 1600MHz 8GB & Corsair 1600MHz 16GB GPU: 780Ti Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, Samsung 830 256GB SSD, Kingston 128GB SSD, WD Black 1TB,WD Green 1TB. PSU: Corsair AX850 Case: CM HAF X. Optical drive: LG Bluray burner  MacBook Pro, Hackintosh

They already pin it out to the highest possible settings. In theory, no one would want to play a game at 24FPS or at 144p, now would they? And who playing a console would actually give two cares? They can't handle more than what they are doing. It's like asking why can't you upgrade a console or why can't you install Windows on a console?

May as well add to the GIF flow.

EGKImCR.gif

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Sure, most won't know what the settings are, but for those that do know, why not include them? I don't get it. Maybe I'm not supposed to.

Because it would be silly to.

There are a few games that allow you to Lock or unlock the framerate, Killzone on PS4 let you do this ( so does the last of us remastered)

It would be silly to let people have a worse experience, people might do it accidental and blame Microsoft or Sony for making a bad device

It honestly makes NO sense to be able to change settings, why would you want to? the game runs the best it can

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

They already pin it out to the highest possible settings. In theory, no one would want to play a game at 24FPS or at 144p, now would they? And who playing a console would actually give two cares? They can't handle more than what they are doing. It's like asking why can't you upgrade a console or why can't you install Windows on a console?

May as well add to the GIF flow.

EGKImCR.gif

So it's because consoles are basically shit? I can live with that answer  :)

So it's because consoles are basically shit? I can live with that answer  :)

Possibly, yes.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

These really helped

I can see that, OK let me break the situation down.

Consoles are guarunteed to all have the same hardware inside right, say you're developing a game for the PS4, you know what specs everyone has so you make your game with those specs in mind, lots of aspects of the game are tweaked in order to achieve a smooth running experience on that given piece of hardware, a frame rate target will be chosen and a resolution target will be chosen.

Given that the most common framerate is 30fps, allowing users to increase graphical settings would result in an unplayable experience.

Now here is the part that lies with the devloper, why not allow users to drop the graphics in order to achieve a higher framerate? Well there are a number of reasons why that may be but in a lot of cases where it would be possible to allow it developers choose not to, presumably because they want the game to look as good as it was originally advertised and want to make sure all users get the same experience (unless you're Ubisoft).

There are exceptions of course, FFXIV allows users to drop the resolution in order to ensure staying at 60fps in densely active areas rather than face drops by forcing the game to remain at 1080p, Warframe has several graphical options including FOV adjustment in the menus as the game is capable of running at max settings on a PS4.

I am with you on wanting to see an option to drop the visuals or resolution and get a higher framerate, but only where reasonable to do so and not to large detriment to the overall experience.

I can see that, OK let me break the situation down.

Consoles are guarunteed to all have the same hardware inside right, say you're developing a game for the PS4, you know what specs everyone has so you make your game with those specs in mind, lots of aspects of the game are tweaked in order to achieve a smooth running experience on that given piece of hardware, a frame rate target will be chosen and a resolution target will be chosen.

Given that the most common framerate is 30fps, allowing users to increase graphical settings would result in an unplayable experience.

Now here is the part that lies with the devloper, why not allow users to drop the graphics in order to achieve a higher framerate? Well there are a number of reasons why that may be but in a lot of cases where it would be possible to allow it developers choose not to, presumably because they want the game to look as good as it was originally advertised and want to make sure all users get the same experience (unless you're Ubisoft).

There are exceptions of course, FFXIV allows users to drop the resolution in order to ensure staying at 60fps in densely active areas rather than face drops by forcing the game to remain at 1080p, Warframe has several graphical options including FOV adjustment in the menus as the game is capable of running at max settings on a PS4.

I am with you on wanting to see an option to drop the visuals or resolution and get a higher framerate.

And Dead Rising (was it this one?) had its threads tied to the number of frames instead of the clock.....

And Dead Rising (was it this one?) had its threads tied to the number of frames instead of the clock.....

That is an issue caused by archaic development practices, this is 2014 that kind of shit was the standard on PlayStation 2, not any more.

Any PC game worth its salt since the late 90s has been capable of running at dynamic framerates at a constant engine speed.

-snippetysnip-

So it's a combination of the console "peasants" being silly enough if given the chance to be able to turn the settings down and blame the devs for a uglier game than expected, and the console being so limited?

I don't want to live in this country anymore.

FTFY

Devs want a fixed experience for all the console gamers, and 0 chances of idiots changing the settings and then complaining their game isn't working properly. Cause a lot of console gamers really are that stupid.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

That is an issue caused by archaic development practices, this is 2014 that kind of shit was the standard on PlayStation 2, not any more.

Any PC game worth its salt since the late 90s has been capable of running at dynamic framerates at a constant engine speed.

I know but.... Well, it's there so, I might as well say it

Gaming PCs are mainly for enthusiasts in which means you can find the best settings for you to play on.

Consoles are for the general consumer so by giving everyone the best experience they lock down the experience.

So Consoles are supposed to be simple, Gaming machines not so much.

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

So it's a combination of the console "peasants" being silly enough if given the chance to be able to turn the settings down and blame the devs for a uglier game than expected, and the console being so limited?

It basically boils down to consoles not being suitable for variable game settings due to the standardised development process and tailored software, and also console users not being suitable to give graphical options to by and large.

If you want control, game on PC my friend, that is the way we bypass the limitations and experience games the way we want to. :)

Well I'm pretty sure that the reason is that they want the peasants to think that their games don't need settings as the peasantboxes are so powerful that they can run anything. It's like Ubisofts statement how the console port that was developed on PC runs like a dream and that It would be the best experience they can deliver. #Cause30fpsismorefilmic #792pisthehighestresolutioneyescansee #Causeagamethatlookslikea5yearoldgamehasgreatgraphics #NO!

My Pc: Cpu: I7 4790k @ 4,8 Ghz @1,25 volts, Motherboard: Maximus VII Formula, Graphicscard: 2x Titan X @1,4 at stock voltage (soon to be replaced), Ram: 32 gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 Cl 9, SSD: 2x 850 Pro 1 Tb in Raid 0, 2x Samsung 840 Evo 1 tb raid 1,, PSU: Corsair HXi Series 1000W 80+ Platinum, Case: H440. Soon to be watercooled again, maybe, probably, the Titans are too loud. 

Because consoles all have the same hardware. The point of graphics settings is to tune the game for the best performance on your rig. Console games are already tuned for the best performance they can get out of a console.

CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 3700x CPU Cooler: AMD Wraith Prism Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2x8GB) SSD: Samsung 970 Plus 250GB NVME, WD Blue 2TB m.2, Crucial M500 240GB GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW PSU: Seasonic G-Series 550W CASE: Corsair 220T RGB

It basically boils down to consoles not being suitable for variable game settings due to the standardised development process and tailored software, and also console users not being suitable to give graphical options to by and large.

If you want control, game on PC my friend, that is the way we bypass the limitations and experience games the way we want to. :)

Because consoles all have the same hardware. The point of graphics settings is to tune the game for the best performance on your rig. Console games are already tuned for the best performance they can get out of a console.

Okay, great! Got my answer :)

Now off to sell all my consoles and buy more PC's!

Peasant's dont have freedom.

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

i would love a FOV slider

it was impossible to play it (for me) on my cousins xbox 360

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

I don't want to live on this country anymore.

That's what everyone says on facebook. Meanwhile, they are just as stupid as the person in question.

THEY ARE BRAINWASHING YOU.... ----> Insert Subliminal and illuminati pics here.

Imagine the sea of angry children "MY GAME DOESN'T WORK" after cranking the thing up and returning the game. Then the console overheats and breaks.

No need for choices in consoles, the people who buy consoles obviously don't care for choice, they want a cheap machine that's simple to operate and "always" works.