[Build Log] Gnosis: Half-Breed Evolution, Laptop to Desktop conversion.

FranBunnyFFXII

Originally Posted on Overclock.net: http://www.overclock.net/t/1499810/build-log-gnosis-half-breed-evolution-laptop-to-desktop-conversion/

Gnosis, the name of this build, is a feminine greek word meaning "Knowledge" a name I chose because this build is an application of lesser known knowledge and research.

This is probably going to be a fairly unique build, but will take a long time(considering money limitations). But I've set out to do some modding and convert my Intel Core i7 Ivybridge based custom laptop into a full factor desktop.

This will be accomplished by installing the laptop into a case, rigging up Case fans, purchasing eGPU mod parts, a very high quality desktop PSU(with the intentions to build a full desktop later), and a flagship desktop GPU from AMD(R9 290X/390X)

I currently run Dual screen Eyefinity(3200x900 but scales up to 3840x1080 System Navite OGSSAA Resolution), and I absolutely love the perspective and resolution. I'll be purchasing a duplicate of the dell monitor to saw off the edges of both monitors and stitch them together to create the smallest center bezel possible.

"Why mod the laptop instead of building a whole new desktop?" Simply put, with 135$ parts for eGPU modding, and PSU, I can utilize desktop GPUs for the laptop(with a performance hit of course). To achive the performance of the laptop's core hardware I'd have to spend quite a bit of money, where as I can mod the laptop and still utilize the already purchased hardware but just get a Desktop GPU to make up for the lacking graphics power.

Intel Core i7 3740QM @ 4.05ghz OC(4.15ghz Gaming OC)

Kingston HyperX 12GB dual channel 1866mhz RAM @ 1941mhz OC

2x60GB SSD+750GB HDD(1xOS , HDD+SSD caching)

HM77 Alienware M17X motherboard (unlocked)

Mods To Do list

*Internal Case QoL

• Case Fans Power - Completed
  • New CPU Fan - Not yet completed
  • USB Hubs - 2 of 3 aquired, USB 2.0 2x7 ports Arrived, Needed: USB 3.0 4 port - soon - 2 of 3 placed
  • Internal Power strip - Completed
  • Laptop Power brick placed - Completed
  • External USB HDDs placed - Completed
*Desktop Speakers - selected, yet to be purchased

*Eyefinity Display center bezel reduction mod

• 2nd dell IPS monitor - In wish list, yet to be purchased
  • Bezels cut and placed - Not yet completed
*OGSSAA Display(I need to replace the monitor I broke) :sad-smile

*Desktop PSU - Selected: Antec Earthwatts 650 Watt, yet to be purchased

*Desktop Hard Drive Swap: Internal Power supply 3TB Hard Drive+Sata Cable and hard drive mount,

*Desktop Graphics Card

• eGPU Modification - Parts list confirmed, yet to be purchased.
  • Desktop GPU - Selected: Sapphire R9 290X(R9 280X?) - Unable to Aquire for now
First update here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/181909-build-log-gnosis-half-breed-evolution-laptop-to-desktop-conversion/?p=2443928

JGQrvrV.jpg

Pics of what's done so far. (See the updates for more current pictures)

K51dSAD.jpg

Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Red

tLlVPzM.jpg

The Laptop: Alienware Super M17X R4 custom.

T9txWXC.jpg

Front Air intake

9ONKcSB.jpg

Laptop mounting placement, Hard drive cages removed.

kOjJm3i.jpg

Connections so far. USB connections will be replaced with USB hubs when they arrive. VGA will eventually be replaced by MiniDP to DVI

hJjbUNl.jpg

Cable rigging.

KlbqyN6.jpg

Fan Power supply, Powered USB Hub for fan power source.

mWIyIUz.jpg

Laptop base plate removed to allow better airflow to core components

aPudhgh.jpg

Zrdycmy.jpg

OLs5P2c.jpg

First update, some progress

Completed the core cable rigging, put the external hard drives into the case, and mounted all the USB hubs, power strips, and put all up into the cable management.

Inside of the case looks clean and organized now.

Pics!

NyfWypo.jpg

JpBMmrd.jpg

Raw cable rigging with everything mounted on the motherboard tray.

What's plugged in?

2x USB hubs with 7 usb ports 6 on top 1 at the end. 2x External hard drive PSUs, 1 Fan PSU, Laptop PSU, the last socket open is for the desktop PSU when I get it mounted.

K63m5mE.jpg

fBeNaUn.jpg

LcyFrCo.jpg

GeOLHDc.jpg

X92Q8n9.jpg

Tnw3Vkm.jpg

TmDRRgo.jpg

Interesting, looking forward to seeing this done :D

Interesting. Just. Interesting.

<insert iaintevenmad.png here>

Laptop - Lenovo Y50   Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown   Mouse - Logitech G502 Proteus Core   Mousepad - Razer Firefly

Please read the LTT Code of Conduct before submitting a post

Well... isn't that just a bit unorthodox. 

CASE: FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE R4  |  MOBO: MSI MPOWER Z77  |  CPU: Intel i5 3570k @ 4.4 GHz  |  CPU COOLER: NOCTUA NH-D15  |  GPU: EVGA GTX 770 SC |

PSU: CORSAIR AX860 W/ RED BRAIDED CABLES | SSD: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250 GB | HDD: WD BLACK 1 TB | FANS: 3x NOCTUA NF-A14 | MONITOR: HP W2371D

KEYBOARD: CM STORM QFR MX BLUES W/  PBT KEYCAPS  |  MOUSE: LOGITECH G502 | MIC: AUDIO TECHNICA AT2020 | HEADPHONES: SENNHEISER HD 558

I like it, its unique.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

how....odd (interesting?)

I could never dream of hiding my m18x away

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I think a few people are missing that I'm not modding the laptop so it's unusable.

What people aren't catching is that I'm basically creating a massive glorified docking station.

I will be able to pull the laptop out of the case and still use it as a laptop.

I'll be able to take it out of the case, pull out the laptop powerbrick, drop the travel hard drive back in, then put the backplate back on and go.

I'll have a USB Wifi adaptor to replace the wifi card that was taken out so I could utilize graphics card hardware.

But the laptop certainly won't be made immobile. 

Not really hiding it away, its just "Things aren't always what they seem" ~Zyra

MUCH originality 

CPU: Intel Core 2 duo E8400 MOBO: Gigabyte EP45-DS3L GPU: Nvidia 9600gt PSU: Cooler Master 460w Case: Cooler Master Centurion 5 RAM: Crucial 1x2gb & Super Talent 2x2gb DDR2 

I'm not willing to join in on the argument, but everyone has their own reasons for doing things. If you don't like the idea, think about it and move on, no need to make a big deal out of it.

I'm actually really interested in seeing something differentiating from the stereotypical build, and I think that is what makes a cool build log.

More updates please :D

Interesting docking station. I dig the idea of the project, and the work put into it. That said, language is a tad intense for my liking, and if you didn't want suggestions, putting the post on a forum wasn't the best idea.

Either way, not here to create problems, I like the idea, I wouldn't do the same, but that's why you're making this, not me.

Case: Lian Li PC011-D - CPU: 3900x - GPU: 2080ti Reference - Mobo: Gigabyte - Ram: Corsair 4x16gb 3200MHz - SSD: 2TB Samsung Evo NVME

This is kinda cool but completely out of my style cause i fucking hate laptops. Gonna sub anyways to see how you want to mod a desktop grade gpu into that thing ^^ (if i understood correctly...)

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

I still want your Mx 11 just cuz of how cute that thing is...

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz

I still want your Mx 11 just cuz of how cute that thing is..

thats why I havnt sold it even though I barely use it, its the cutest (most badass) laptop ever

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

• 2 weeks later...

I got a G73Sw with half the parts bummed out on it. I should try this, use a Mini PCIe to Full Size PCIe adapter and put a desktop GPU with it.

LIke THIS 600x473px-LL-9c91974a_PE4L-PM060A.jpeg with a Raiser Cable.

The Intel Core i7 2630QM is quite a beefy CPU still.

[TRUENO] i7 4770k (~4.4Ghz, 1.28v) || Thermalright Macho 120 || Asus Z87 Gryphon || 2x8Gb Mushkin Blackline|| Reference NVIDIA GTX770 || Corsair Neutron GTX 480GB || 2x3TB WD HDD || Corsair 350D || Corsair RM750

Wow... I've never seen such a thing.... laptop to desktop conversion in this matter lol... intriguing 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

I love it. In fact, I think this is my favorite build I've seen yet. 9/10 

It'd be 10/10 if you'd link me to that background of yours. This one, specifically. ;)

No, but seriously, epic idea. I can't understand how Dual Screen gaming doesn't hurt your head, but that is a cool super power to have (like I can game for any period of time without my eyes hurting). 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.