Crossfire r9 290 and crap performance... need help

Go to solution Solved by BoogieBeast,

Bagmup

Yeah I know, I think its fixed now, so thanks guys :D REALLY appreciated the help :D

soooo... I would REALLY appreciate your help. ( first post ( in correct forum)  so please don`t judge..  :D )

For the past days I`ve been struggeling with my R9 290 Crossfire setup, my ingame performances has decreased significantly.

BUT my benchmarks ( with Valley  Benchmark ) my score was 2416 to 3926, and both my cards are at 100% usage,

but when I play I get 100% cpu usage, and my Graphics cards are going crazy, they keep changing from 100% to 6% to 75%, they`re all over the place.

I really need help.

My rig:

• CPU
    i5 2500k @ 4.8Ghz

• Motherboard
    MSI Mpower z77

• RAM
    Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GBx2 1600Mhz

• GPU
    R9 290 Crossfire @ 1000/1300Mhz

• Case
    Corsair Obsidian 750D

• Storage
    Western Digital WD Blue 7200rpm HDD

• PSU
    XFX ProSeries XXX Edition 850W PSU

• Display(s)
    Asus 24" LED VG248QE 1920x1080 144hz

• Cooling
    Corsair H100

• Keyboard
    ROCCAT Isku Illuminated

• Mouse
    Razer DeathAdder

• Sound
    A50 Headset

+ a more detailed version is in my profile

I tested with CCC Overdrive and that fixed the CPU usage, but the Gpu`s are fluctuating massively, and I get 70-80 fps in Bf4..

Do not double post topics. A moderator will move the thread if it is in the incorrect section.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

use GPU-Z ID to check GPU load and temps

which version of AMD driver you are using?

14.4?

reinstall the drivers

and don't use OverDrive

use MSI Afterburner

I am pointing to your CPU

2nd gen CPU only supports PCI-E 2.0

3rd Gen support PCI-E Gen 3

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

dragoon20005

I`m using the 14.4 driver, and I normally use MSI afterburner, just wanted to test, thanks.

ok do the Benchmark test and take a screen shot of the GPU temps and load

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

All your Games?

Just BF4?

Check CPU Usage in Other Games besides BF4?

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Have you got any other PCIe cards in the system by any chance?

With PCIe 2.0 you will NEED x8/x8 to run 290/290x crossfire, if you have a PCIe card in the system it will restrict it to x4, which will bugger your performance.

I say remove the drivers, files and registries

How To: Remove Your AMD / ATi GPU Drivers

Then re-install the driver with only one card in the system, shut down, and install the second card. 

P.S. If you've previously had Nvidia drivers installed, make sure all the files and registries are deleted. How to: Remove Your NVIDIA GPU Drivers.

if it just games 

can't help much

the long shot is getting this

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80637i73770k

the 3rd gen i7 3770K

binman13

I know, sorry, was supposed to write PCIe 2 ( but im tired).

and yeah, i was thinking it might be my sandy bridge CPU slowing me down, I`ll see what i can do, thanks.

PCIE 3.0 8x is PCIE 2.0 16x

Does your other slot work at the same lane configuration?

Maybe your getting 16x/4x crossfire from your board. Not 8x8x

How old is the "Windows" thats on your machine, you think there are any ghosts in the machine?

Maybe partition a little off and do a re-install of Windows with the game in question and see if it happens on a new install with new drivers and ZERO clutter in the background...

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

SkilledRebuilds

I`m getting 8x on both, that`s what GPU-Z says.

As you should be, you wouldnt be able to get 16x/4x...thats more lanes than the CPU provides logically.

Then re-install the driver with only one card in the system, shut down, and install the second. 

SPECIFICALLY this part..?

Did You install drivers the second time, did it Auto install them?