Crossfire r9 290 and crap performance... need help

soooo... I would REALLY appreciate your help. ( first post so please don`t judge.. :D )

For the past days I`ve been struggeling with my R9 290 Crossfire setup, my ingame performances has decreased significantly.

BUT my benchmarks ( with Valley  Benchmark ) my score was 2416 to 3926, and both my cards are at 100% usage,

but when I play I get 100% cpu usage, and my Graphics cards are going crazy, they keep changing from 100% to 6% to 75%, they`re all over the place.

I really need help.

My rig:

• CPU
    i5 2500k @ 4.8Ghz
  • Motherboard
    MSI Mpower z77
  • RAM
    Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GBx2 1600Mhz
  • GPU
    R9 290 Crossfire @ 1000/1300Mhz
  • Case
    Corsair Obsidian 750D
  • Storage
    Western Digital WD Blue 7200rpm HDD
  • PSU
    XFX ProSeries XXX Edition 850W PSU
  • Display(s)
    Asus 24" LED VG248QE 1920x1080 144hz
  • Cooling
    Corsair H100
  • Keyboard
    ROCCAT Isku Illuminated
  • Mouse
    Razer DeathAdder
  • Sound
    A50 Headset

+ a more detailed version is in my profile

Your cpu is probably bottlenecking

The cards jumping about in there usage is perfectly normal, both my 290x's do it. Does the game you are playing have crossfire profiles?

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Your cpu is probably bottlenecking

There is no way that CPU is bottlenecking anything. It is way more powerful than it needs to be.

To the OP, have to been monitoring your temperatures? The cards might be thermally throttling.

Also what model are your cards, from what manufacturer, and reference cooler or aftermarket?

Are they overclocked?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Altecice, yes I was playing BattleField 3 and 4, it seems to decrease my fps on every game

have you set maximum fan speed in CCC to 100% and the max temp to 95c. they may be throttling 

Performance > Graphics OverDrive.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

There is no way that CPU is bottlenecking anything. It is way more powerful than it needs to be.

To the OP, have to been monitoring your temperatures? The cards might be thermally throttling.

Also what model are your cards, from what manufacturer, and reference cooler or aftermarket?

Are they overclocked?

I thought so too but the OP said that it only starts happening when CPU usage is at 100% which indicates a bottleneck

I thought so too but the OP said that it only starts happening when CPU usage is at 100% which indicates a bottleneck

I dont see why the CPU should be at 100%...

It is most likely an issue with crossfire.

@BoogieBeast , when you game using a single card, does the CPU also go to 100%?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Can you tell us what fps you're getting with single card vs crossfire? and in what games?

Home is where the heart my desktop is.

it looks like CCC Overdrive fixes the CPU usage, but the usage of both r9 290`s are fluctuating massively, and I`m still getting 70-80 fps on Ultra in BF4...

it looks like CCC Overdrive fixes the CPU usage, but the usage of both r9 290`s are fluctuating massively, and I`m still getting 70-80 fps on Ultra in BF4...

so, yeah

-snip-

The Two Cards Might Be Throttling 

Are You Rocking a Reference Cooler?

I Love Dogs and Video Editing