Anyone recommend a language to write a FPS!

jd_guy17

Hi,

I was wondering if you guys could suggest a language to make a FPS game. I would want it to have 3D graphics and lots of other advanced features. I am struggling to find a good language to make it in and that is why I want your help! 

Thanks!

My system: CPU: i5-4670k CPU-Cooler: be quiet Dark Rock Pro 3 Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H Ram: 8GB Kingston HyperX fury (red) SSD: Samasing 840 EVO 120GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 3GB Windforce Case: Fractal Define R4 windowed PSU: Corsair CX 600W Semi-Modular OS: Windows 7 Home Premium.

Laptop: Dell Laptop - Some crap i5 and 8GB of DDR3 ram. OS: Duel Boot - Windows 8 & Ubuntu! 

binary

[spoiler=My Beast Rig Damocles]Case: Coolermaster Storm Stryker Motherboard: Asus x79 deluxe CPU: Intel I7 4960x @3.6GHz (soon to be oc) RAM: Kingston HyperX 64GB @2400MHz GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 770 (Gigabyte) @4GB PSU: Corsair RM1000 Fully modular CPUCooler: Corsair H100i Watercooling Storage: Seagate 2TB SV35.6 SATA 6GB/s 7200RPM 64MB 3.5"   x2  Sound: Creative Soundblaster ZxR sound card

This is my old pc which I am reamending to be a media server or a nas. Motherboard: Generic fujitsu CPU: Intel pentium G640 @2.8 GHz RAM: 4GB generic fujitsu memory PSU:  CPUCooler: Stock intel cpu cooler Storage:  Fujitsu MHZ2120BH @120GB, Soon to have a HDD for more storage. 

_ASSASSIN_ Jerakl 

Spanish

Case: Corsair Carbdie 330R Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P Asus Z97-A CPU: AMD FX-6300 i5 4690K 3.5 GHZ + 212 EVO GPU: ASUS GTX 760 DirectCUII Ram: Corsair Vengeance LP 8gb (2x4gb) HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB PSU: Corsair CX500M
Monitor: AOC Q2963pm 29'' 21:9 IPS Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Mousepad: Mionix Sargas 320 Headset: HyperX Cloud Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 RGBIKEA Headset/Headphone Holder

Just get Unreal Engine.

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

on a serious note try unity engine for FPS games and i think it works C# Language i Don't know but check it out it will help you.

My PC

[ I5 4690k (no oc) - Gigabyte Z97 D3H - 8GB Ram - Sapphire R9 280X Vapor-X ]

OP, good luck on doing all of that by yourself.

OP, good luck on doing all of that by yourself.

he sure needs it 

EN withe a CryEngin or Frostbite 2

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

Unity with C# for ease of use and rapid development capability and being very indie friendly.

Hi,

I was wondering if you guys could suggest a language to make a FPS game. I would want it to have 3D graphics and lots of other advanced features. I am struggling to find a good language to make it in and that is why I want your help! 

Thanks!

Unity with C# for ease of use and rapid development capability and being very indie friendly.

Thanks for your sensible response

My system: CPU: i5-4670k CPU-Cooler: be quiet Dark Rock Pro 3 Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H Ram: 8GB Kingston HyperX fury (red) SSD: Samasing 840 EVO 120GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 3GB Windforce Case: Fractal Define R4 windowed PSU: Corsair CX 600W Semi-Modular OS: Windows 7 Home Premium.

Laptop: Dell Laptop - Some crap i5 and 8GB of DDR3 ram. OS: Duel Boot - Windows 8 & Ubuntu! 

Thanks for your sensible response

Happy to help ~ if you need any other information regarding game development just ask me.

The engine should be coded in something fast like Rust with a scripting language as an interactivity layer. For scripting I recommend Python or Lua.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

010010010010000001110011011001010110010100100000011101110110100001100001011101000010000001111001011011110111010100100000011001000110100101100100001000000111010001101000011001010111001001100101

On a more serious note, I would also advise that you use Unity, it's not too hard to get used to and started with, and it'll make your life a lot easier. Making a decent game (FPS or else) is incredibly difficult, it takes a lot of time and skills in a couple of fields (ex: programming, audio, 3D, story (if any), networking, etc). Using something like Unity will help, but you'll still need to dedicate a ton of time if you want your game to be barely playable and remotely successful. :P

Good luck though, I wish you the best with this project. :)

They usually use C++ if 'm not mistaken. Especially UE4.

Developer by day, Gamer by night

CPU - Intel i7 4770k | MOBO MSI G45 Gaming | RAM - G.Skill RipJaws X 1600mhz 4x4gb CL7 | CASE - NZXT H440 | GPU - MSI R9 290 | PSU - Corsair RM850 | SSD - Samsung 840 EVO 128gb | HDD - Western Digital Black 2TB

They usually use C++ if 'm not mistaken. Especially UE4.

It depends on what you're using, I'm pretty sure that most engines (ex; Unity) are coded in C++ but when you write code for it it's either in C# or JS. It's a personnal choice, there are many many pros to using C++ when making a professional game and most game studios use that, but there are also other languages that are great for that and can suit your needs. :)

Like others said, find an engine and use that to learn on.  Unity is very beginner friendly and has a lot of tutorials out there.  

Here's an example link:  http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/start-to-finish-fps-tutorial-10-videos-all-project-files-included.190506/

Dis track?  Jesus christ why'd we even fight a war?  - Ron Cadillac

It depends on what you're using, I'm pretty sure that most engines (ex; Unity) are coded in C++ but when you write code for it it's either in C# or JS. It's a personnal choice, there are many many pros to using C++ when making a professional game and most game studios use that, but there are also other languages that are great for that and can suit your needs. :)

unity is C# or javascript

I'd recommend an object-oriented C language such as c++ or c#. There's not much abstraction so it'll probably be fastest. Maybe Java, since the language itself isn't bad. But the JRE's suck. 

My recent discovery was that it really comes to to what you really need and will need in a near future.

First off, you can do your own engine of course, its better, its efficient, it really listens for your orders , its your baby :)

BUT

Two ways you can go.  

Personally, i found that the language is no longer a barier. i can code in what language i must if the engine really offers me a whole package of what i will eventually need.

I found that out when i was looking for engine for my game.   I knew that i dont wan't to code my own,
and also i knew it will be FPS (Rather MOBA like MMO with FPS view, with necromancy fights and sword mastery , and hunters and wilderness and big maps :) )therefore i settled down for Unity.

Unity is great for every kind of programmer.  It offers really organized intuitive UI for coding / visual coding .

BUT, What my mind was really tangled about was , how come the UDK has so much better graphics and Unity does not (even after applying certain shaders and lighting).

Because, you see, i knew that UDK has some really great features almost ready for FPS . 

And then i tried 30 days trial of Unity PRO , and saw it.    All Image effects, camera effeects, color correction, blooms, advanced shadows, are in PRO package.

And its a game changer.

On the other hand, if you feel you game will need something more than that, you can buy Unreal engine 4 i heard its perfect, and you get the whole source code , so you can implement your stuff or alter the existing ones.

It really just depends on what which engine has to offer. 

I settled with Unity because  i has whole networking done in a week, and i am spending stuff just animating character, and creating all sort of spells, and the rpg game logic behind it.  Don't need to think about programming.  Its also the game is in c# .  Okay, the spells are in databases, and XML, Server is in java, and skill tree logic is in java, on server.

Dont write game based on language.

Write a game based on whatever will offer you things that you will help you implement your vision .

:)

Good luck and have fun.