Photography Gear for a Sunny Vacation

hello guys,

I'm going on vacation in a few weeks and would like to hear some recommendations of things that I can't go with out for taking great pictures or maybe some good tips for shooting in very bright environments.

Cheers

Rebel T4i + macro lens + telephoto + standard + tripod.

Also UV filters for all of those.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

hello guys,

I'm going on vacation in a few weeks and would like to hear some recommendations of things that I can't go with out for taking great pictures or maybe some good tips for shooting in very bright environments.

Cheers

Invest in a good UV filter, to protect your eyes

Maybe a ND filter or polarising filter, can make some really dramatic photos

Honestly bright conditions are the best, you can open up your aperture, select a fast shutter speed and go to town 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Honestly bright conditions are the best, you can open up your aperture, select a fast shutter speed and go to town 

Aw yeah...

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

UV filter are useless on digital cameras. They were made for film cameras when EV light affected film. Digital camera sensors already have a UV protection layer on them. 

Anyways, a polarizing and ND filter would work wonders. Also get a variable ND filter if possible. Since this is a vacation and not a photoshoot carry light. I'm assuming that you already have a camera. 

Shooting with the sun behind your subject or they will have racoon eyes and will be squinting. Find shade to shoot in also.  

UV filter are useless on digital cameras. They were made for film cameras when EV light affected film. Digital camera sensors already have a UV protection layer on them. 

Anyways, a polarizing and ND filter would work wonders. Also get a variable ND filter if possible. Since this is a vacation and not a photoshoot carry light. I'm assuming that you already have a camera. 

Shooting with the sun behind your subject or they will have racoon eyes and will be squinting. Find shade to shoot in also.  

thanks. I already have a Canon 7D, 15-85mm lens and a 55-300mm lens,  I also have a tripod...what do you mean by Standard?

ND filter is a neutral density filter right? Should I get a darker or brighter one?

thanks. I already have a Canon 7D, 15-85mm lens and a 55-300mm lens,  I also have a tripod...what do you mean by Standard?

Standard/general purpose lens.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Yes a ND filter is a neutral density filter. If you get a variable ND filter you'll have multiple stops to work with, and not just one. 

this

Variable ND filters are amazing

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Why a macro lens? Just curious. 

@OP, maybe also thinking about getting lens hoods for your lenses. 

I agree with the guys above.  A ND filter and a Circular polarizer are great in Sunny/Bright places.  The ND filter will be needed if you want to open up your lens and get that nice blurry background.  Just curious, but where are you headed.  Sometimes what's more important than planning your gear is planning your shots.  

That said, if this is a vacations and not a "photo vacation" remember to have fun with the people you are with and experience the sights not just with your camera but with your own senses too!  Have fun!!

CPU AMD Ryzen 2700 X / Motherboard  / RAM 4 x 4GB  / GPU Zotac 1080Ti Amp Edition / Case Fractal Design Meshify C / Storage Samsung 850 PRO / 1TB WD Black & 2TB WD Green / PSU / Cooling Noctua / Keyboard Ducky Shine 2 / Mouse Logitech G700 / Sound O2 Amp/DAC & Audioengine A5+ speakers

So you can make nice macros?

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

So you can make nice macros?

What purpose does that serve on a vacation? Most people would want just a generic wide angle lens such as a 18-55, 18-105, 18-140, etc. 

What purpose does that serve on a vacation? Most people would want just a generic wide angle lens such as a 18-55, 18-105, 18-140, etc. 

I like taking macros. I take them everywhere. Some people may not. Every photographer is different.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Well the great thing about macro lens is that they can take portraits too. 

Ture, my Sigma 150mm 2.8 is a killer macro lens and also a great portrait lens too.  Its just a bit too heavy to have in my bag 100% of the time.

CPU AMD Ryzen 2700 X / Motherboard  / RAM 4 x 4GB  / GPU Zotac 1080Ti Amp Edition / Case Fractal Design Meshify C / Storage Samsung 850 PRO / 1TB WD Black & 2TB WD Green / PSU / Cooling Noctua / Keyboard Ducky Shine 2 / Mouse Logitech G700 / Sound O2 Amp/DAC & Audioengine A5+ speakers

hello guys,

Cheers

Canon 50D/60D/70D, prime lens, zoom lens (24-105mm recommended), tripod, and a few filters eg. polarising and ND.

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

@OP, maybe also thinking about getting lens hoods for your lenses. 

I think in one of DigitalrevTv's videos they said that they are useless

I agree with the guys above.  A ND filter and a Circular polarizer are great in Sunny/Bright places.  The ND filter will be needed if you want to open up your lens and get that nice blurry background.  Just curious, but where are you headed.  Sometimes what's more important than planning your gear is planning your shots.  

That said, if this is a vacations and not a "photo vacation" remember to have fun with the people you are with and experience the sights not just with your camera but with your own senses too!  Have fun!!

we're going to Crete, Greece. Last time I was there it was really hot and sunny all day and I'm more used to shooting in not so brown and bright places

Ture, my Sigma 150mm 2.8 is a killer macro lens and also a great portrait lens too.  Its just a bit too heavy to have in my bag 100% of the time.

I looked up the Sigma 150mm F2.8 lens and it's pretty expensive was it really this one: http://www.amazon.de/Sigma-HSM-Objektiv-Filtergewinde-Canon-Objektivbajonett/dp/B004M18N1G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1405417652&sr=8-1&keywords=sigma+150+2.8

@chicksoup yeah, my lens is the older version but it wasn't cheap. I personally would not take it on vacation since it is fairly heavy. I think a polarizer will do you well. Lots of blue sky and blue water in around Crete I'm guessing?

Looking at your gear, " I already have a Canon 7D, 15-85mm lens and a 55-300mm lens, I also have a tripod..", I would recommend the following since you have your zooms covered (and if you can afford it) :

35mm or a 50mm prime lens.

I find both lenses pretty versatile. I prefer the 35mm if using a crop sensor as you get a wider angle of view. Prime lenses allow me a greater range of depth of field.

I shoot Nikon so I don't know Canon glass. I can recommend Sigma 50 and 35 primes but they are pricey. I'm sure there is a Canon 50mm 1.8 that sells for $200 use but I'm not sure.

@chicksoup yeah, my lens is the older version but it wasn't cheap. I personally would not take it on vacation since it is fairly heavy. I think a polarizer will do you well. Lots of blue sky and blue water in around Crete I'm guessing?

Looking at your gear, " I already have a Canon 7D, 15-85mm lens and a 55-300mm lens, I also have a tripod..", I would recommend the following since you have your zooms covered (and if you can afford it) :

I find both lenses pretty versatile. I prefer the 35mm if using a crop sensor as you get a wider angle of view. Prime lenses allow me a greater range of depth of field.

I shoot Nikon so I don't know Canon glass. I can recommend Sigma 50 and 35 primes but they are pricey. I'm sure there is a Canon 50mm 1.8 that sells for $200 use but I'm not sure.

+1 on a nice 35 or 50mm prime. They are fun to use and easy. Not quite as much to worry about. Other than that, I would also recommend an upgrade to your 15-85 if that is the "kit" glass. Rent a 17-55 fixed aperture (2.8 is common) and see how you like it. 

Also, more batteries, and a car charger!

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

I think I'm going to get the 50mm f1.8 II from canon since it's really cheap and got great reviews :)