XBMC Questions

Got a few questions in setting up XBMC on my NUC:

Is there anyway to backup the XBMC installation (settings, playlists, add-ons) so i can copy it from one machine to another?

Can i edit the top level screen to instead of having "TV, Pictures, Music, etc" to instead have it point to some sort of custom folder for each option like "Anime, TV, Movies, Add-ons, System"?

What is the easiest way to edit large number of files to fix their naming formats so that XBMC can read their data? (I have about 8tb of sources that seem to need updating)

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

Backup: info is on xbmc wiki page, good source of info there.

That said you only really need one 'master' library, enabling uPnP is an easy way to gain access from other devices.

Menu: easy to do on skins other than the default one.

Renaming: I use 'theRenamer' for TV + movies

Backup: info is on xbmc wiki page, good source of info there.

That said you only really need one 'master' library, enabling uPnP is an easy way to gain access from other devices.

Menu: easy to do on skins other than the default one.

Renaming: I use 'theRenamer' for TV + movies

Got any tips on which skins i could look at?

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Phones:

To batch rename files, I use Adobe bridge (it comes with photoshop)

To have custom menus like anime documentaries etc:

First have all anime in a anime folder, all monies in movie folder etc

On xbmc, go to videos... Add videos... Select anime folder (TV shows genre)

Now in the videos menu... Create a smart play list... Call it anime play list or whatever...

Now. Create a 'new rule' where 'path' 'contains' then click browse and your anime folder should appear close to the top of the available directories on your computer.

Ok. Now you've created a play list.

Go to settings, probably skin settings (it depends what skin your using, basic skins won't allow you to create custom menus, I recommend aeon mq5 skin)

Then go customise menu or something, there'll be a list of all the menus like shutdown, movie, music.

Here you can show or hide these menus, or create custom ones. I prefer to use an existing one that I won't use like 'concerts' or 'live music'.

Rename one to 'anime' and set the function of a 'video playlist' then it will probs you to select a created play list aka anime play list.

When you go back to the home menus you anime menu should be there.

Gotta go back to work now I'll type a bit more when I wake up tomorrow (if someone else else doesn't help out)

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

You might need to experiment to see how the NUC likes some of the 'heavier' skins.

Try 'Aeon nox', it's a popular skin with lots of features.

You might need to experiment to see how the NUC likes some of the 'heavier' skins.

Try 'Aeon nox', it's a popular skin with lots of features.

Couldnt get the latest version to work, but i got 4.1.9.6 to install. Tried to find the problem in the log file but there was nothing logged that was helpful.

I guess ill have to spend a while trying to tweak this to do what i want, thanks for the tip.

Primary:

HTPC:

NAS:

Phones:

Did you install via the xbmc menu?

Or just an external installer?

Use the xbmc wiki, it is extremely useful and lots of step by steps :)

Menu goes from top screen:

System > appearance > skin

Click on skin name at top, which is likely 'confluence'.

This takes you to installed skins to 'turn on'.

You can easily try others through 'get more' button down the bottom.

Further 'default' skins can be chosen this way.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I also recommend Aeon Nox for the Skin and FileBot for renaming.

I touched on XBMC when I did my HTPC build here might help http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/190433-wip-stream-machine/