ASUS Direct CU II GTX 780(not TI) =>artifacts in Unigine Heaven Benchmark only!

i have got a question! does anyone here owns the ASUS Direct CU II GTX 780 model and has run the heaven benchmark too? I just wanted to ask them whethere any of them has ever seen weird artifact during the benchmark! I personally own 2 of these cards, and already have RMAed one for that reason. The weird thing is I saw these artifacts in all these 3 cards! But interestingly they are perfectly fine in every other benchmark and games (like 3dMark,WatchDogs and so on). All these cards have no othere issues whatsoever, runs cool(reaching only 61C in single mode and 71C in SLI), gpu boost pushes them till 1228MHz core and I ran quite a lot stress testing and I found 0 anomaly or other artifacts! Now, I though there might be something wrong with my system then and I used my old gtx580s in SLI(and also in single mode) to verify and found that there is no such artifact when I use these old cards, and thats the same with 750ti, gtx 280 & gtx285 !!! What am I missing here? I would be glad if people here with the same card would reply and clarify if they see the same anomaly too! Thanks.

My setup (if that halps to diagnose the issue)

i7 47770k, gigabyte ga-z97x-gaming gt,8gb ddr3 g-skill ripjaws, 850w psu, and all the cards i have mentioned,and i run only single 1080p monitor. no overclocking in anywhere whatsoever. :mellow:

i7-4770k | 8gb Gskill Ripjaws @1600 | 2x GTX 780(Asus Direct CU II) in SLI & GTX750Ti for PPU | Gigabyte Z97x Gaming GT | 850W XFX

Strange, I see it in Valley with everything maxed out. The hills in the distance have a white artifact at times. I figured it was just an issue with the test because I didn't seem to notice anything in Heaven but then again maybe I didn't look close enough. I am also running 2 of them, OC'd at 1140/6800. I also turned the OC down considerably and still noticed it in Valley. I'm interested in this now too. I run 3 1080p monitors but 2 are driven from my CPU, the rest of the specs are in my sig.

CPU: AMD 5950X    MB: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero    RAM: HyperX Predator 64GB    GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090 Ti FE    SSD: Seagate FireCuda 530 2TB    
PSU: EVGA 1200w P2    COOLING: EK AIO Elite 360    CASE: Fractal Design Torrent 
   DISPLAY: LG CX48 4k OLED    AUDIO: HIFIMAN Arya SE

What color are the artifacts, if they are white that's from the new nVidia beta driver. 

Mine are white but I'm not running the beta driver.

CPU: AMD 5950X    MB: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero    RAM: HyperX Predator 64GB    GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090 Ti FE    SSD: Seagate FireCuda 530 2TB    

@Kryptyx,

dang! so u have the same cards and u see the anomaly too!!!! now i am super curious!!! why is it like this? no other cards that i own has the same issue!!!! i tried everything possible(like tinkering with benchmark settings and all) and found no way to minimize those occassional and minute yet bugging... do u have other cards to test and see if its definitely associated with our 780s???

thanks for replying :):)

i7-4770k | 8gb Gskill Ripjaws @1600 | 2x GTX 780(Asus Direct CU II) in SLI & GTX750Ti for PPU | Gigabyte Z97x Gaming GT | 850W XFX

What color are the artifacts, if they are white that's from the new nVidia beta driver. 

Mine are white but I'm not running the beta driver.

yep, mine are white too.... they are like occational flickers of strange shape randomly,, not very easy to figure out though! if u r looking from a distance then u might think those are pure effects or rain drops.... but they still bugs me nonetheless... and i am not running beta drivers either. the last whql release that came out with watch dogs(forgot the exact release number and am in office now so no way to check and post, sorry).

yep, mine are white too.... they are like occational flickers of strange shape randomly,, not very easy to figure out though! if u r looking from a distance then u might think those are pure effects or rain drops.... but they still bugs me nonetheless... and i am not running beta drivers either. the last whql release that came out with watch dogs(forgot the exact release number and am in office now so no way to check and post, sorry).

There's nothing wrong with your card, it has to do with the 700 series and Unigine (Valley/Heaven). I get the white occasional flickers too when I run those benchmarks.

Run 3DMark11 or 3DMark Fire Strike you won't get any artifacts in that benchmark.

I wouldn't worry about it, it has to do with Unigine, not with your card.

but then again i dont see these artifacts in gtx 580s,750ti,gtx280,gtx285 !!! none of them.. why only in the 780s??? i understand its not really a huge deal given the circumstances, but i just am curious! it would be interesting to see posts from owners of 780s from other brands like evga,msi,gigabyte etc.

There's nothing wrong with your card, it has to do with the 700 series and Unigine (Valley/Heaven). I get the white occasional flickers too when I run those benchmarks.

Run 3DMark11 or 3DMark Fire Strike you won't get any artifacts in that benchmark.

totally second u. i ran 3dmark full and the firestrike alone and they runs smoothly! and no artifacts whatsoever..

Yeah 3dmark had no issues for me as well. I wasn't really worried too much about it since I knew it was good in everything else. Thanks for the feedback, I suppose its just something to do with the engine they are running.

I wouldn't worry about it, it has to do with Unigine, not with your card.

@BiG StroOnZ  well, from ur signature i saw u own 780 from evga,.... then it clearly something with 780chipset(if not 700 in general since i didnt find any artifact in 750ti) and unigine...not too worried anymore. i am not the only one with 3 faulty card then :lol: .. thanks.

I have an evga 780 and I also get white artifacting in valley.

I have an evga 780 and I also get white artifacting in valley.

thanks for letting me know... :)

@BiG StroOnZ  well, from ur signature i saw u own 780 from evga,.... then it clearly something with 780chipset(if not 700 in general since i didnt find any artifact in 750ti) and unigine...not too worried anymore. i am not the only one with 3 faulty card then :lol: .. thanks.

It's mostly GK110 that has the problem. 

If you go through this thread you can see a bunch of other people have the problem too:

http://forums.evga.com/33788-driver-released-m2168651.aspx

It's mostly GK110 that has the problem. 

If you go through this thread you can see a bunch of other people have the problem too:

http://forums.evga.com/33788-driver-released-m2168651.aspx

yep, u r right.. 780s(including most other flagship of 700series) are build around GK110 whereas 750ti is GM107....guess this is some kind of architectural issue.. else the other architectures would have the same effect... i wish other GK110 owners would post here too, since i cant have my hands around those cards...

• 1 month later...

Not to revive this but thanks everyone for this post. I too have the problem with a Gigabyte 780 and was about to RMA it. So glad I came across this :)

5.1GHz 4770k

My Specs

Intel i7-4770K @ 4.7GHz | Corsair H105 w/ SP120 | Asus Gene VI | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LP | 2x GTX 780Ti| Corsair 750D | OCZ Agility 3 | Samsung 840/850 | Sandisk SSD | 3TB WD RED | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Corsair RM850 | ASUS PB278Q | SyncMaster 2370HD | SyncMaster P2450