HDMI Splitter confusion?

Do I have an Xbox One (I know, shame on me) and I want to be able to connect it to my monitor on top of my desk and to a 46" 720p television about 8 feet away from my desk. My monitor is a 24" 1080p screen. If I buy a splitter, and I have both screens turned on and on the right input, will each screen run at its own native resolution? Thanks!

does your monitor not have dvi connectors?

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

What you could do is get something like a capture card that will allow you to display the xbox one on through the screen and then get a chromecast for your 46" tv and stream from the pc to it. 

Main Rig - Case: Corsair 200R   Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z270-GAMING-K3  CPU: Intel i5 7600 RAM: Corsair H55 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 3000MHz SSD: Crucial MX500 1 TB 

HDD: 2TB WD Green  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1660 Ti 6GB Windforce  PSU: Corsair CX 600W  

HTPC - Case: CiT MTX-007B   Motherboard: Biostar H61MGV3, CPU: Intel i5 2400  RAM: Patriot 4GB 1333MHz SSD: 240GB Toshiba SSD PSU: 180W CIT (Came with case)

Corsair 200R Front Bezel Mod

does your monitor not have dvi connectors?

yes it does but the Xbox doesn't

Do I have an Xbox One (I know, shame on me) and I want to be able to connect it to my monitor on top of my desk and to a 46" 720p television about 8 feet away from my desk. My monitor is a 24" 1080p screen. If I buy a splitter, and I have both screens turned on and on the right input, will each screen run at its own native resolution? Thanks!

Okay so I think we require some clarification here. What exactly are you trying to accomplish? You want to output your XBox One to both a 46" 720P TV as well as your 24" 1080P Monitor at the same time?

If so, then you can use an HDMI Splitter, but ALL MONITORS WILL RUN AT THE SAME RESOLUTION. You'd have to output 720p, unless your TV supports taking a 1080p signal and internally downscaling it (I'm not sure, you'd have to check the specs or try it).

There is no way to output the native resolution to both via an HDMI splitter, as all it does is duplicate the image. You could use a capture card and then downscale it on the fly, but that'd be a clunky setup.

Basically, you should output to 720p, OR upgrade that TV to a 1080p unit.

What you could do is get something like a capture card that will allow you to display the xbox one on through the screen and then get a chromecast for your 46" tv and stream from the pc to it. 

This sounds like a pretty bad way to do it. Not only would he need to buy a chromecast and capture card, but I can't imagine it would be a very good user experience.

If you get the right HDMI splitter and both inputs support the same output then yes, you should be able to. I use one of these only with 4 inputs and 2 outputs and it works for me. http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10113&cs_id=1011310&p_id=8155&seq=1&format=2

Both his screens use different resolutions. He'll have to use the lowest common denominator (In this case, 720p).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Okay so I think we require some clarification here. What exactly are you trying to accomplish? You want to output your XBox One to both a 46" 720P TV as well as your 24" 1080P Monitor at the same time?

If so, then you can use an HDMI Splitter, but ALL MONITORS WILL RUN AT THE SAME RESOLUTION. You'd have to output 720p, unless your TV supports taking a 1080p signal and internally downscaling it (I'm not sure, you'd have to check the specs or try it).

There is no way to output the native resolution to both via an HDMI splitter, as all it does is duplicate the image. You could use a capture card and then downscale it on the fly, but that'd be a clunky setup.

Basically, you should output to 720p, OR upgrade that TV to a 1080p unit.

Yes, you are correct. I would like to use both of the screens at the same time. I have heard from other forums that each HMDI signal is independent and can carry its own signal no matter the resolution. The TV is only 720p and my monitor is a 1080p, and the Xbox One can output a 1080p signal AND a 720p. Does that still mean that both screens will run at 720p?

Yes, you are correct. I would like to use both of the screens at the same time. I have heard from other forums that each HMDI signal is independent and can carry its own signal no matter the resolution. The TV is only 720p and my monitor is a 1080p, and the Xbox One can output a 1080p signal AND a 720p. Does that still mean that both screens will run at 720p?

Each HDMI signal from the computer or source would be independent. But both outputs from the splitter come from the same source, which is output at a specific resolution. The splitter is only taking the resolution and duplicating it.

If some sort of Active HDMI Splitter with a GPU scaler installed exists, then I've never seen one.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

No as Xbox One Rarely ever outputs 1080p instantly stopping your monitor from running at native Res... and I do believe most spiltters (if not all) send the same exact signal twice so maybe it'd work if the XB1 sent 1080p and your TV could just downscale it but XB1 can't so yeah probably not with out some expensive settup.

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

This sounds like a pretty bad way to do it. Not only would he need to buy a chromecast and capture card, but I can't imagine it would be a very good user experience.

I could be but it is a suggestion and could be worth a try. 

Main Rig - Case: Corsair 200R   Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z270-GAMING-K3  CPU: Intel i5 7600 RAM: Corsair H55 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 3000MHz SSD: Crucial MX500 1 TB 

HDD: 2TB WD Green  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1660 Ti 6GB Windforce  PSU: Corsair CX 600W  

HTPC - Case: CiT MTX-007B   Motherboard: Biostar H61MGV3, CPU: Intel i5 2400  RAM: Patriot 4GB 1333MHz SSD: 240GB Toshiba SSD PSU: 180W CIT (Came with case)

Corsair 200R Front Bezel Mod