Devils Canyon Prime95?

Go to solution Solved by tuberolector,

Use Intel Extreme Tuning Utility. Every other program messes with the voltages, but Intel Extreme Tuning Utility does not.

Hey everyone I'm going to be overclocking a DC chip today and just remembered that a lot of ppl weren't recommending prime95 with haswell use. Is that still the case with DC? Or should I be fine running it for 24 hours? Thanks.

| 5820k+EK supremacy nickel+acetal white 4.5Ghz | X99 Deluxe | Enthoo Luxe | 2x gtx780+komod NV full cover block | Corsair AX1200i | WD blue 500gb |

Kingston V300 120gb | Samsung 840 Evo 500gb| Bitspower D5 vario+Res combo | primochill advanced LRT tubing (Solid White) |

| Alphacool Nexxos MONSTA dual 120mm Black Ice nemesis GTX360 triple 120mm | Noctua NF-F12 X4 | Bitspower true silver 1/2ID 3/4 OD compressions (various angles) |

Devils Canyon is still Haswell mate

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Devils Canyon is still Haswell mate

I know I just thought maybe Prime had been updated by now to not mess with haswell but I guess not, thanks everyone.

| 5820k+EK supremacy nickel+acetal white 4.5Ghz | X99 Deluxe | Enthoo Luxe | 2x gtx780+komod NV full cover block | Corsair AX1200i | WD blue 500gb |

Kingston V300 120gb | Samsung 840 Evo 500gb| Bitspower D5 vario+Res combo | primochill advanced LRT tubing (Solid White) |

| Alphacool Nexxos MONSTA dual 120mm Black Ice nemesis GTX360 triple 120mm | Noctua NF-F12 X4 | Bitspower true silver 1/2ID 3/4 OD compressions (various angles) |

Use Intel Extreme Tuning Utility. Every other program messes with the voltages, but Intel Extreme Tuning Utility does not.

Probably what I'll end up doing.

Probably what I'll end up doing.

You can use Prime95, just set voltage to manual/constant.  That goes for every stress test, set your voltage to manual/constant.  The people who had problems with Prime95, are the people who left voltage on adaptive when stress testing, that caused excessive amounts of voltage to go through the chip and in turn fried their CPU.  User error, not software.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

You can use Prime95, just set voltage to manual/constant. That goes for every stress test, set your voltage to manual/constant. The people who had problems with Prime95, are the people who left voltage on adaptive when stress testing, that caused excessive amounts of voltage to go through the chip and in turn fried their CPU. User error, not software.

This isn't an issue with the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility. That's why I recommended it.

This isn't an issue with the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility. That's why I recommended it.

ETU uses Prime95 as its Benchmarking Engine, google it if you don't believe me.

Any benchmarking utility is fine for use so long as voltage is set to manual/constant.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

How reliable is XTU? I ran it for an hour without issue then randomly had a BSOD in CS:GO of all things... tweaked the voltage slightly and haven't had one yet. Not sure if it was just random or if the OC was still slightly unstable. I'm running 4.7ghz on 4790k on adaptive vcore which maxes at 1.294

What is the typical test duration to be considered stable?

CPU: AMD 5950X    MB: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero    RAM: HyperX Predator 64GB    GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090 Ti FE    SSD: Seagate FireCuda 530 2TB    
PSU: EVGA 1200w P2    COOLING: EK AIO Elite 360    CASE: Fractal Design Torrent 
   DISPLAY: LG CX48 4k OLED    AUDIO: HIFIMAN Arya SE