The Macbook Pro is actually NOT overpriced (With Ultrabook/Notebook Comparison Chart)

Henry

We've been used to buying overpriced things so far, Look at nvidia, they keep the price way over the top & when AMD matches the perfomance @ a lower price , they magically can Withold losses & drop the price down below the AMD tier, But i've never seen a single thread complaining about how overpriced the mid-tier cards are from nvidia, Pretty much how people act when they are told they're getting a bargain when they are not, Apple is just another company like that whether like AMD or nvidia you decide , Just too many hater once they get a name for themselves & start moving products .

Good points: Price manipulation isn't what pisses people off. It is likely more related towards Apple's attitude (and that of their fans although I'd argue that Apple themselves encourage that kind of behavior by indulging on it themselves) but people like to point out the price first because is a much simpler argument to present: 3 is more expensive than 2 and both have 5 and 5 when it comes to performance: it's simple, concise, anybody can make the argument.

Arguing about the type of business Apple does as a more vertical company or how they present their products is much more complicated, so people focus on specs.

-------

Current Rig

-------

As much as I don't condone apples anti-competition  activity and people claiming that you need a mac to be a professional, I do think MBP are really nice machines, and I would be quite happy to own a retina with a 650m. I don't really compare price when like any super thin aluminum machines, they are overpriced for the parts you get. I think it's just a premium you pay to get a luxury product, and like nike shoes to get the brand name. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

The build quality isn't as good as you would think, drop it once and you'll have a massive dent, the aluminum is way too soft. Almost every MacBook Pro I have worked on is really beat up. I'd never buy a Pro, 
MacBook airs are way more portable and you get more for your money.

Case: Cubitek MiniCube CPU: i5-3570k @ 4.7GHz GPU: Asus GTX 670 DirectCUII MoBo: Asus P8Z77-i Deluxe/WD RAM: G.Skill Sniper 2133MHz

SSD: Sandisk Extreme 120GB HDD: WD Black 2TB AIO Water Cooler: Antec Kuhler 620 Fans: Corsair SP120 Thermal Paste: MX4

Headphones: Grado SR-80i Keyboard: Corsair K65 Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Monitor: Asus MX279H Phone: HTC One Tablet: Nexus 7 (2013)

I wonder if in a year or two, if it will still be "not overpriced", considering how notorious Apple is at never decreasing the price of their stuff over time.

Apple stuff are only a good buy at the time of release, a year later, it's no longer good enough for the price they are asking.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Love my MacBook Air, never fails me & I like the Mac OS more than Windows....(but I am a gamer so my gaming PC will ofc run Windows), and I really like it because of it's premium quality, like when I brought it at a party (we needed something that could just play music :P) people couldn't take their eyes off of it ;D

I just like it :) It's pretty powerfull too ;)

The only people that care are insecure neckbeards who think bashing either side will make them feel good, and guess what? It probably does. Sane and logical consumers (read: everyone outside of this forum, because this forum is roughly the 0.01% of the actual market) don't care.

They spend their money how they see fit, where they see fit.

Do you clowns make fun of people who buy 10 million dollar homes and say "Well, you could've saved 60% and gotten a home thats got even more rooms and even more space". Do you clowns make fun of people who buy 100k cars for commuting even though a 15k econobox does the same thing?

Do you realize how stupid your 'arguments' would sound in real life? You try to judge people on how they spend their own money and then try and 'mock' them for it or label them as 'fanboys'.

I have a Mac laptop, a built by my hands desktop, I use Windows Phone and have an Android tablet. I game across 3 platforms and I even own a honest to god mechanical watch to check the time and date. Some of you probably just blew your brains reading that because you're too stubborn to comprehend that some people have no problem using everything and some people just don't care about what is "better".

I'll always buy whatever makes the most sense to me. Could be Mac, could be HP, could be Sony, could be motherfucking Voodoo. Whatever works, works and sometimes you pay for ease of use and after sales support, kinda like on IBMs/Lenovos. Their hardware isn't much to write home about, you're paying for after sales support the likes of which we rarely see. You're paying for the longevity and validation, to whatever extent they can manage on a laptop.

You keep throwing around specs as if anyone actually cares. Do you think joe average Best Buy consumer cares? Really? Mac, Windows; all the same. Specs really are just numbers to average consumers. You're being mad at Apple for doing their job as a BUSINESS and marketing their stuff better than anyone else. You can be damn fucking sure that if Razer or HP or anyone could replicate Apple's vertical integration and lunacy level profits that they'd do it in a heartbeat. EVeryone wants money, Apple is just the best at it for now. And thats what makes all you fanboys so upset, is that Apple turned marketing into an artform and that they succeed in marketing to the masses.

Hahaha, well said my friend, well said. ^_^

Can you Imagine if this was linus Mac Tips?  

Start of video -  Yeah,  its still a mac

fade to black

Mac fans jump up and down screaming BRILLIANT!!!!

As a former owner of a MacBook Pro late 2011(music hobby), I honestly think they are overpriced. Good quality and I still like them, but definitely overpriced.

●CPU: i7-4790K w/H100i ●Mobo: MSI Z97 MPower ●RAM: Corsair 16GB Dominator ●GPU: EVGA ACX SC 780 3GB(X2) ●SSD: 850 Pro 256GB ●Case: 450D ●PSU: AX 860i ●Monitor: Asus PB278Q 1440p

no its not, to build a pc with the same specs at that size you will pay about the same maybe a little less, there has been some comparisons 

Comparing Macbooks to desktops :L

You could build a desktop for cheaper that will perform better than laptops in general.

Whatever happened to the self built laptop market anyway I heard about it twice and knew a person who was thinking about it but that was it xD.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

Whatever happened to the self built laptop market anyway I heard about it twice and knew a person who was thinking about it but that was it xD.

Yeah I do remember laptop "barebones" and such. Some laptops still have sockets for CPUs so it is possible to customize them and with thunderbolt we might eventually get GPU enclosures for external GPU's and then we could be back in business.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I love how you compare the Razer Blade to the MBP. The MBP is using an integrated graphics. The RB is using one of the most powerful mobile-GPU solutions currently on the market (since the 880m wont even fit in the small chasis). The build-quality of the Razer Blade is on-par, if not better than, the MBP (yes, i own both). The customer service at Razer is also ( in my experience) on-par with Apple's "geniuses". Also, you are forgetting that the RB also includes a 3k resolution touch-screen IGZO panel while the MBP uses some IPS-based non-touch panel. Completely different beasts apart from the 256GB SSDs and form factor. Also, using an educational discount (which required no authentication), my 256GB Razer Blade was $2,100.

The fact of the matter is that from a technical standpoint they are over-priced. The question is merely if the brand name, "customer service", and uni-body are worth the price. As more and more laptops with similar (if not better) build quality show up, we will see the price of Apple's laptops truly come into question by the masses.

Desktop: ASUS ROG Maximus V Formula - 3570k @ 4.2 Ghz - Gigabyte GTX 670 WF3 - G.Skill 16 GB 1600Mhz - Antec 900W - 128GB Crucial M4 - 2TB Hitachi HDD - NZXT H440

Mobile: Nexus 6P (current)  - Razer Blade 256 GB Laptop

http://www.razerzone.com/store/razer-blade

$2600 - 870M / Intel® Core™ i7-4702HQ Quad Core Processor with Hyper Threading 2.2GHz / 3.2GHz

http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/macbook-pro?product=ME294LL/A&step=config

$2600 - 750M / 2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 Turbo Boost up to 3.5GHz

High end Apple skimps on the graphics 

http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/macbook-pro?product=MD101LL/A&step=config

$1200

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834257667

$700

So for $500 more you get a aluminum unibody , osx , and a better QA

Low end its more expensive for the same hardware.

I love how you compare the Razer Blade to the MBP. The MBP is using an integrated graphics. The RB is using one of the most powerful mobile-GPU solutions currently on the market (since the 880m wont even fit in the small chasis). The build-quality of the Razer Blade is on-par if not better than the MBP (yes, i own both). The customer service at Razer is also ( in my experience) on-par with Apple's "geniuses". Also, you are forgetting that the RB also includes a 3k resolution touch-screen IGZO panel while the MBP uses some IPS-based non-touch panel. Completely different beasts apart from the 256GB SSDs and form factor.

It was dead obvious the OP spent hours and hours looking for examples he could throw up that the mbp was on par price wise with.  A quick search on newegg for i7 laptops and you can find a bunch significantly cheaper than a macbook pro.  

If you are judging purely on horsepower the macbook pro is definitely more expensive (sometimes significantly so) than what you can get in a PC.  

The entire argument is getting old and it kind of amuzes me that the board is suddenly filled with people wanting to highlight macs.  Its almost as if some mac forum somewhere decided to come invade traditional PC based forums to try to start big mac v pc threads.  

As a former owner of a MacBook Pro late 2011(music hobby), I honestly think they are overpriced. Good quality and I still like them, but definitely overpriced.

At the moment, they are not overpriced. Prices back then were worse.

http://www.razerzone.com/store/razer-blade

$2600 - 870M / Intel® Core™ i7-4702HQ Quad Core Processor with Hyper Threading 2.2GHz / 3.2GHz

http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/macbook-pro?product=ME294LL/A&step=config

$2600 - 750M / 2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 Turbo Boost up to 3.5GHz

High end Apple skimps on the graphics

http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/macbook-pro?product=MD101LL/A&step=config

$1200

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834257667

$700

So for $500 more you get a aluminum unibody , osx , and a better QA

Low end its more expensive for the same hardware.

$2699, not $2600 for the razer.

Even though u get a GTX 870M versus a GT 750M, PCIe ssds are much more expensive than sata m.2 ssds, double the battery life, faster processor, and 16gb of ram instead of 8.

As for the other comparison, u chose the Macbook Pro non retina. This is outdated and discontinued, so yeah, its overpriced and has outdated crap.

Folding for LTT since April 2016.

Apple argument

That made me vomit inside my mouth a bit, thanks for ruining my doritos cheese dip  :angry:

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 GPU: GTX 1070 TI RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB (4x4) Mobo: ASUS Z97-PRO(Wi-Fi ac) PSU: Corsair RM Series RM750 Case: Fractal Design Define R4 no window

Bill Nye vs Ken Ham 

=

Windows vs Apple

All those who are complacent with performance given to them are Mac people or Windows people.

All those who want to push there system beyond its specifications to see what they can really do are are ONLY WINDOWS PEOPLE.

Crazy smart coders and server admins are Linux people and should be feared.

$ per $ apple is more expensive until you get to the maximum of whatever laptops because they will be expensive anyway. 

Show me that new trashcan desktop they built compared to a equal spec pc op

Yeah of course, over 50% of the price is just for this:

Apple_gray_logo.png

Did you not look at the chart? The MacBooks are cheaper than others, despite faster CPUs being a big price factor.

I never said that

you kind of did

JcIM3cM.png

and then there's this

hrzPPNU.png

since you are the one that made this comparison chart and you chose what to put in it i suppose you also stand behind all of the given arguments. What else would be the point of making a comparison chart if you wouldn't agree with any of the given arguments?

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 GPU: GTX 1070 TI RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB (4x4) Mobo: ASUS Z97-PRO(Wi-Fi ac) PSU: Corsair RM Series RM750 Case: Fractal Design Define R4 no window

you kind of did

JcIM3cM.png

and then there's this

hrzPPNU.png

since you are the one that made this comparison chart and you chose what to put in it i suppose you also stand behind all of the given arguments. What else would be the point of making a comparison chart if you wouldn't agree with any of the given arguments?

- amazing *touchpad* was the statement. Not just "-amazing".

K

- amazing *touchpad* was the statement. Not just "-amazing".

K

I feel retarded now. My apologies.

K

I feel retarded now. My apologies.

K

Its okay. But you owe me a cookie. And shrimp.

$2699, not $2600 for the razer.

As for the other comparison, u chose the Macbook Pro non retina. This is outdated and discontinued, so yeah, its overpriced and has outdated crap.

no, I chose there lowest end model for a comparison for low end modles, Its the current one.

spell it "you" 

and on the $2699, its $2199 for 128gb and scales up with larger ssd, so that point is void as both mac and windows SSD's can be upgraded 

so in that the Razer Blade is even a better buy than before for performance per dollar (They both use sata drives)  

It was dead obvious the OP spent hours and hours looking for examples he could throw up that the mbp was on par price wise with. 

This is true. It was worth it to show people though. Not hours and hours, but a long time

Its okay. But you owe me a cookie. And shrimp.

chocolate-chip-cookie.jpg

shrimp-facts-intro.jpg

now we never speak again of this

no, I chose there lowest end model for a comparison for low end modles, Its the current one.

spell it "you"

and on the $2699, its $2199 for 128gb and scales up with larger ssd, so that point is void as both mac and windows SSD's can be upgraded

so in that the Razer Blade is even a better buy than before for performance per dollar (They both use sata drives)

Check it again. Macbook Pro 13 in is not being continued and is outdated, like pretty crap too. You are thinking of retina display 13in.

Razer Blade uses M.2 drive. rMBP uses PCIe drive. What point of mine is void because the ssd's can be upgraded? :\

Eh, the RB is should be just a bit cheaper. Still way better than back when they were $2700 in 2012

Did you not look at the chart? The MacBooks are cheaper than others, despite faster CPUs being a big price factor.

If he saw the chart, he'd be ripping more on the Zenbook :P

So the 15" rMBP is the same price as an Asus Zenbook, and...

The MB has Iris Pro (vs just Iris)

The MB has a 256GB SSD, vs the Zenbok's 2x 128GB in RAID 0, which isn't nearly as reliable and long-lasting a setup.

The MB has a ridiculously long battery life, upwards of 10 hours, whereas the Zenbook has ~6

The MB's trackpad and keyboard are second to none- seriously, Apple's trackpad is insanely good, I don't get how you can even use a normal one after you try it.

The MB's CPU is actually a massive improvement, almost 90% in multi-threaded tasks (via CPU Boss)

So... at least between those two, it's a joke of a comparison, not even mentioning the build quality and support you get with any Apple product.