The Macbook Pro is actually NOT overpriced (With Ultrabook/Notebook Comparison Chart)

Henry

EDIT: Added a Slick quote

EDIT 2:
GUYS, please no fanboy arguments or argue about "Oh Apple is evil, all hail Gayben(wut)". I want this to be a "spec for spec" thread so that finally, people can actually look and see how the specs are on the rMBP and why it is *not* overpriced with less ridiculous fanboy arguments (most of which are just based on personal preference).

EDIT: Just added the Dell XPS 12, Dell XPS 15, Acer Aspire S7, and I gotta say, I'm disappointed in you Dell.

In this thread, I will be comparing popular ultrabooks/notebooks including: Macbook Pro with Retina Display 13in and 15in, Razer Blade, Asus Zenbook, and Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro. I will probably me making a larger chart if needed later on.

Here's a chart I made:

Regardless of your guys' software preference, spec wise, the Macbook Pro with Retina Display is very competitively priced with the these ultrabooks/notebooks. And if you have something you hate about OS X, you can always use Windows.

I would say the most competitively priced in this chart is the Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro with the eCoupon from Lenovo ($1099.99 as of 8/21/2014), however, Apple hater or not, it's undeniable that the rMBP is competitively priced with many ultrabooks/notebooks.

So, done reading the chart? You probably will say something like "Well thats interesting, but Ive seen better GPUs (mostly this, since the CPUs are excellent) and CPUs on much cheaper computers that aren't listed like gaming laptops (which you shouldn't be comparing to a macbook which definitely not meant for gaming). Why is that?"

@Henry

Can you put the defenition of overpriced please in the OP so people shut up:

overpriced  (ˌəʊvəˈpraɪst)    — adj   charging or charged at too high a price

Can you get the same/better performancefor less. Yes

Can you get a similar product for less. NO

Hence it is not overpriced.

PEOPLE STOP SAYING IT IS PEOPLE WHO SAY IT IS CANNOT JUSTIFY IT WITH ARGUMENTS BASED ON FACTS THERE IS JUST NO WAY.

( I never type with caps lock but this time i really feel the need.)

Apple doesn't focus on RAW performance, they have an excellent CPU, display, i/o, build quality, and all the other specs. So overall, they are great. What isnt so great, is gaming performance because they dont put all the money of the device heavily towards the GPU like a gaming laptop, because they ARENT GAMING LAPTOPS (please fanboys just stop). Apple just doesnt make products for gaming, period. Its for everyone else. Literally, ANYTHING if you do stuff that doesnt have something very GPU intensive. then its great for you. However, if you are a gamer, well, I'd be on the lookout for @LinusTech and his upcoming new video on the Razer Blade 2014.

But wait, if its overpriced, then it means its too high a price right? And, to most people, the rMBP is considered expensive. Doesnt that mean its overpriced? Not exactly. The pricing on the great specs you get (maybe not GPU, but everything else, definitely)make it not overpriced. Like seriously, PCIe SSDs and the other stuff added together are damn expensive. They're not gaming machines. Or meant for gaming. Just about everything else.

Here are some of Linus's statements:

"We all know, at least the folks who are somewhat PAYING ATTENTION know, that SPEC FOR SPEC, HARDWARE FOR HARDWARE, if you actually tried to build the exact same thing, apple PCs are FAIRLY competitively priced these days with an equivalent PC"

0:40

And to emphasize what I mean about the fact that you can get better performance for less, BUT, different overall spec and hardware for hardware, it wouldn't be as good OVERALL (yes, it needed to be bolded, italicized, and underlined):

"Apple's hardware choices are not always the best bang for the buck, and by choosing completely different hardware, similar performance can be achieved for much cheaper (usually with not as good storage, ram, display, build, etc etc)" 

1:10

More words of a very knowledgeable ex-category and ex-product manager at NCIX and has over a decade of PC knowledge:

"Our viewer base and our forum community tends to kinda hate on Apple a fair bit, but let's be honest guys, industrial design COSTS MONEY. The SAME people who are drooling over how beautiful the One M8 is and talking about how great it is and its you know, fantastic that an android phone has such great design are the same people who are gonna call an iPhone worthless...when that stuff costs money. Having good build quality and good industrial design COSTS MONEY."

58:03

Here is our overlord @SlickPC 's quote (sorry Linus, Luke is just more slick):

"There is reason to like a mac - they have very nice build quality and very high ease of use, while their OS is not for me I have suggested them to specific people many times... a macbook pro retina dual booting windows and linux would be my favorite laptop... blind hatred of mac doesn't help anything"

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/201599-why-isnt-there-a-section-for-mac/?p=2733725

Folding for LTT since April 2016.

You're paying for the machine time that is used to make one of the chassis for the computer. Then you are paying for the hardware.

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

Folding @ Home Install Guide and Links | My Build

Yes /Thread

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Yeah of course, over 50% of the price is just for this:

Apple_gray_logo.png

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I think some of the upgrades are for sure like the amount they charge for CPU bumps or memory, but if I was going to own a laptop....

well you pay alot for the new and build quality, but macs have a great resell value

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

no its not, to build a pc with the same specs at that size you will pay about the same maybe a little less, there has been some comparisons 

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

I don't think they are overpriced, not the base models at least.

My PC CPU: 2600K@4.5GHz 1.3v Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 MB: ASUS Maximus IV RAM: Kingston 1600MHz 8GB & Corsair 1600MHz 16GB GPU: 780Ti Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, Samsung 830 256GB SSD, Kingston 128GB SSD, WD Black 1TB,WD Green 1TB. PSU: Corsair AX850 Case: CM HAF X. Optical drive: LG Bluray burner  MacBook Pro, Hackintosh

Just because I can't afford one doesn't mean they're overpriced. You can get a more powerful machine for less money but power isn't everything. Experience is, and power helps but good looks, light weight, backlit keyboards, high res IPS panels, etc help too. That's not a priority for me to have but still, adding these in does cost money. Also, Apple is the only vendor to have its own OS. Love it or hate it, that's expensive R&D. And for all the flak people give it, it does actually work really well. Just because not many games run on it doesn't mean it's bad. Still, I don't own a Mac anymore. I've lost the taste for it.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

I don't think macbook pros are over priced.  I haven't seen many laptops with the specs, display, battery life, and build quality of a macbook pro for a lower price.

XEON E3 1231v3 | GA-Z97MX GAMING 5 | XFX R9 290 | 16GB RAM | CRUCIAL MX100 256GB | WD BLUE 1TB | EVGA SUPERNOVA 850W | CORSAIR 350D

Specs for spec yes. But the build quality is exceptional and you are getting a very complete package, if apple floats your boat then I would buy one.

Exactly, your not paying for extreme hardware. Your paying for the design and development of exceptionally stable hardware (like workstation grade)

Edit: also what laptop can you find with an aluminum unibody casing, 1600p screen, workstation grade hardware (that's why windows computers crash more often) and a 9 hour battery.

Edit, Edit: not to mention its ultrabook style portability.

My System Specs: (Short list) i7 4770k, GTX 780, many SSD's, a 2 TB HDD(deceased :( ), Corsair 650D. Full list: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/kchriz6097/saved/8dh7YJ

Upgrade Plan: Acquire some Black Noctuas then add 16 or 32GB of 2133MHz memory

Exactly, your not paying for extreme hardware. Your paying for the design and development of exceptionally stable hardware (like workstation grade)

I agree its very good quality stuff, but its still competitive spec for spec. Not for gamers (if u do any gaming at all, use bootcamp for Windows of course) though.

Similar specs for this devices start at 600, as you go up and add things like more storage, better screens, etc. You start matching or exceeded Apple prices. However the decisive factor here is that with a PC you can say "Why would I need a touch screen on a laptop?" or "Yeah give me a hybrid sshd or dual drives I need more space" or even "I'm ok with a TN 720p screen if it's going to save me 300 bucks" etc. You get that all so important choice.

I don't actually blame people who do not want to think about this stuff and decide "Whatever Apple decides is good for me, that's what I'm going with" In fact for most consumers without a very real budget constrain, I'd recommend it: just buy a macbook pro. What I dislike is people pretending that they don't pay a price premium because of that, to me that's just a rationalization.

-------

Current Rig

-------

You pay $1000+ for a laptop with a integrated intel GPU.

"your paying 1000+ for a laptop with poor build quality" Its all relative to what your looking for.

Also who in their right mind would buy a macbook for gaming

My System Specs: (Short list) i7 4770k, GTX 780, many SSD's, a 2 TB HDD(deceased :( ), Corsair 650D. Full list: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/kchriz6097/saved/8dh7YJ

Upgrade Plan: Acquire some Black Noctuas then add 16 or 32GB of 2133MHz memory

You pay $1000+ for a laptop with a integrated intel GPU.

GT 610M equivalent. Also, not everyone is a gamer. Like I said in the chart, not meant for gamers (though light gaming is fine, and great if u use bootcamp to use Windows).

Spec for spec, u get the best build quality in a laptop. Look at the chart :P

The problem people seem to have with these comparisons to Apple products is not factoring in preference. Obviously a big issue is people constantly saying the products are overpriced which for quite some time they were. However even if they aren't anymore there is no point to constantly bringing it up and defending or bashing the product. People will use what they want to use, a lot of people do not like Apple designs and do not like what they get for the asking price. That is fine and that is their choice, Windows laptops are just as good as Macs when it comes to designing rather than gaming. I have used both extensively and found only subtle differences in UI and no difference in performance. The point being, people will use what they prefer and stating they should use something because you think it's better is ridiculous. These threads really need to stop being created.

@LinusTech 

You need to do a review on a Macbook Pro with Retina Display. I will legit pay you.

I honestly wouldn't think you'd like it. See the hackintosh videos and comments on it when he said he actually had trouble even installing OSX and stuff like that because he was unfamiliar with and didn't know a single person that used Apple computers. He just couldn't be fair without taking an extremely long time (I'm talking months) to get familiar with it.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Gah... this thread pushes me so close to buying a retina MBP... but... must wait for broadwell!

proud owner of alienware 13 with graphic amplifier and also a alienware X51 gaming PC!!! really powerfulL!!

xoxo samantha <3

I honestly wouldn't think you'd like it. See the hackintosh videos and comments on it when he said he actually had trouble even installing OSX and stuff like that because he was unfamiliar with and didn't know a single person that used Apple computers. He just couldn't be fair without taking an extremely long time (I'm talking months) to get familiar with it.

It took me maybe a day to get used to Mac OS. Two days in and I was doing everything I needed to be able to. It would not take Linus months to learn how to use a Mac. 

Edit: also what laptop can you find with an aluminum unibody casing, 1600p screen, workstation grade hardware (that's why windows computers crash more often) and a 9 hour battery.

Edit, Edit: not to mention its ultrabook style portability.

They are good i agree but there hardware is NOT workstation grade, there is very little difference between hardware in apple and other laptops since they dont develop most of there hardware they get it from companies like Samsung (Screens and probably flash memory) , LG (Screens), intel (cpu) etc. Workstation grade hardware would raise the price alot. 

It took me maybe a day to get used to Mac OS. Two days in and I was doing everything I needed to be able to. It would not take Linus months to learn how to use a Mac. 

I don't disagree, I'm just going by what he says for example when talking about reviewing the Galaxy S5: He refused because he could only have it for a week. For me it would be more than enough to make a value judgement, but he feels like he has to give it a more thorough everyday usage because extra details can be noticed. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

I honestly wouldn't think you'd like it. See the hackintosh videos and comments on it when he said he actually had trouble even installing OSX and stuff like that because he was unfamiliar with and didn't know a single person that used Apple computers. He just couldn't be fair without taking an extremely long time (I'm talking months) to get familiar with it.

Of course he would have troubles installing OS X, it was not on officially supported hardware

He's never taken the time to actually try and switch to a MacBook before, plus u can always install windows

Gah... this thread pushes me so close to buying a retina MBP... but... must wait for broadwell!

dude that's me too. My parents are buying me a mac when I get a 2000 on the SAT but I need to wait for Broadwell... The sad thing is that the Broadwell version will be better than my i5 2500k..