How Linus Put my Life Back On Track

Hello Disciples of the almighty Linus!

I want to share my story with the beautiful LTT community about how Linus helped me get my life back on track.

It all started a little less than 3 years ago. I had just started high school, but I had no direction. I used to be interested in automobiles, but I had started to lose track. This, combined with the fact that I had started to live alone, without any parents and the constant increase in bullying (being 200 pounds at the start of high school doesn't help) as well as sack of shit best friends meant that I started to get depressed, for the lack of a better word. Now, nobody in family actually knew any of this (and for the most part, they still don't now), so my grandpa got me a birthday gift that would change my life forever, for the good and the bad; a new laptop. 

This was the first ever PC that I could call my own. I started a Facebook account and everything because the few friends I had told me to. But social media just made me feel even sadder at life. I was constantly contemplating suicide whenever I saw my bullies and bullshit excuses of best friends having fun, going to parties and just generally hanging out. It got to the point that I started drinking. 

Underage drinking. (though it only lasted a couple of days)

My grades were going down faster than ever. My self-esteem was going down even faster. So I decided to start a YT account.

At first I only watched videos from creators like Smosh, FreddieW etc. to cheer myself up. But they only helped while I was watching the videos. Once the videos had finished, I always felt a sudden rush of emptiness and self-hatred again. 
Then I found out about the tech community.

At first I watched videos from people like MKBHD, Austin Evans (or Duncan33303). I saw phone reviews and all that kind of stuff. This kept me interested and got me into technology. But none of this still helped my 'situation'.

Then I eventually found LinusTechTips. And my life has never been the same again.

I got so interested into technology that whenever I would get to meet my mom, usually twice a year for a week or so at a time, I always got something new for my laptop. And before I knew it, my bed had turned into a proper workstation.
I finally found something to live for.

Today, I still don't have any real friends. I still weigh 100+ KG. And I still just keep locked up in my room. 
But I now have purpose. I feel like people now actually talk to me, even if it is only about AMD vs Nvidia (TEAM GREEN BABY). I finally found a purpose to life, and I have to thank Mr. Linus Sebastian for that.

And @LinusTech, if you're reading this, please know that whatever I can do to repay you, I will. You will always have a special place in my heart because you're my only saviour.

Ta.

Dream Build: 
CPU: Intel Core i420 "Blazewell" GPU: Quad Titan GT420s RAM: 420GB Dank Dominator SSD: 9001 TB WD LeafGreen

You can tag Linus with the @ followed by his username: LinusTech. I'll let you do that.

Anyway, if you can and do take small steps, try to find a tech community in real life. If anything, you could go to a university, tech store - a legit one, not Best Buy -, or something. Where I live, I have an old gaming, film, and music store where a lot of gamers I know would love to work there since it's not like working at Gamestop and is generally more laid-back. 

| CPU: An abacus | Motherboard: Tin foil | RAM: 2 Popsicle sticks | GPU: Virtual Boy | Case: Cardboard box | Storage: Cardboard | PSU: 3... Er... Make that 2 hamsters | Display(s): Broken glass | Cooling: Brawndo | Keyboard: More cardboard | Mouse: Jerry | Sound: 2 Cans of SpaghettiO's |

Sorry to hear you had a tough time at school and such :(

Glad to hear you're happier in life now though :)

Stay strong buddy!

i guess we could be friends if you want? you're story sound very interesting and you may could help others

msi z97m gaming - i5 4690k @4.4ghz 1.2V corsair h110 powercolor r9 290x pcs+ - 8GB corsair vengeance dual channel @2133mhz - thermaltake smart power se 730watts - intel 530 series 240GB ssd seagate 1tb 7200rpm - corsiar obsidian 350D - 2x enermax tb silence 140mm - logitech x-530 - sony mdr xb600 - medion 24'' 1080P cm storm quickfire tk white edition with cherry mx red cheap but awesome mouse #GloriousPaintMasterRace

Awesome story man, I know youtube videos (especially Linus') have helped me get through hard times as well. I've probably watched all of his videos at LEAST twice. 

RIP in pepperonis m8s

Welcome to the nerd kingdom that is the forum :)

I think the beautiful part of technology is there's SO MUCH TO LEARN and it's shaping our futures as a society. It's the tech lovers like you that might change the way the world works in the future.

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

You can tag Linus with the @ followed by his username: LinusTech. I'll let you do that.

Anyway, if you can and do take small steps, try to find a tech community in real life. If anything, you could go to a university, tech store - a legit one, not Best Buy -, or something. Where I live, I have an old gaming, film, and music store where a lot of gamers I know would love to work there since it's not like working at Gamestop and is generally more laid-back. 

Where I live, most people still think that Core 2 Duos are the fastest thing ever. And everybody is a part of the console peasant race.

I did meet a guy a few months ago in my school who love PC gaming. Even though he has a really crappy rig (Socket 775 Core 2 Duo, GT 210), we both share a very similar passion for the glorious master race.

Dream Build: 
CPU: Intel Core i420 "Blazewell" GPU: Quad Titan GT420s RAM: 420GB Dank Dominator SSD: 9001 TB WD LeafGreen

I have been where you are feeling wise. Linus also helped me. I didn't and still don't have it as bad as you do. I know your pain. If you want to talk just pm me. :)

This is a beautiful story, and I can relate to this. I weigh 200+ as well, get bullied, etc.

Search out other tech communities over Facebook, you might find something great.

Good luck with the rest of your schooling and have a great future (whether with tech or not).

How to Post Topics, the Right Way / The Ultimate Build Parts List

"4 words. DON'T BE A DUMBASS" ~@Swndlr

It's awesome that you've managed to start turning your life around. Keep it up, and stay positive—I'm sure more positive changes will follow!  ;)

Cheers,

Linus

Where I live, most people still think that Core 2 Duos are the fastest thing ever. And everybody is a part of the console peasant race.

I did meet a guy a few months ago in my school who love PC gaming. Even though he has a really crappy rig (Socket 775 Core 2 Duo, GT 210), we both share a very similar passion for the glorious master race.

I remember reading about one guy who was the only PC gamer in his town and everyone else either didn't play at all or stuck with consoles. As for me, I know a couple of guys who are PC gamers, but since they built their rigs a while ago, their rigs aren't that great compared to today's tech, but they can still play some games. Heck, one guy plays Batman: Arkham City on the lowest settings at sub-30FPS since it's the only thing he can do at the moment until he gets a job or something which he doesn't want to or seems reluctant about. Other people are "Minecraft gamers", console gamers, and JRPG gamers along with those people who play on their phones. One swimmer who's the most laid back person you'll ever meet, only plays on consoles, but it seems he only does it to relieve stress and have fun when he's not swimming. I also know an auto enthusiast who mostly plays racing games. So, PC or console, it won't matter unless the game runs well since racing games are more about competition and stuff over anything else which is funny since the recent trend for racing games on console is to go for 30FPS and pretty graphics over 60FPS for a really responsive racer. Funny enough, Nintendo's Mario Kart 8 runs at 60FPS and 720p while keeping both fun, competition, and an amazing art style/presentation on a a console that's technologically inferior to the Xbox One and PS4. Anyway, said friend even bought a racing wheel that I think might have been from Germany or some thing. I've never met a gamer who's a girl, though. That or I never met one who willingly told others they played video games. I guess, I'm sorta of lucky since my high school was full of tolerant and laid-back people - students and staff. That's still one school compared to thousands of other schools that might be full of jackasses. The swimmer guy? He signed up or almost applied for a university in Alabama. What's the problem there? His religion, I think, and for some reason, I think Alabama has an issue with stuff like that. He didn't get accepted or he took the advice and signed up somewhere else and was accepted by a more open university. I digress, though.

As for the guy you just met, I don't know, get to know him better? Also, people do say that people in high school change. Who knows, maybe some of them will just grow the eff up and stop being assholes or others might become even bigger ones. If anything, know that universities will probably be more open and tolerant as people get closer to being adults and not hormonally-enraged teenagers. If and when - as I repeat this -, you could join a tech club, find a job in a tech field, or meet someone with an interest in tech. Maybe there's a teacher who's a gamer or tech enthusiast. One of my art teacher is a comic book, video game, literature person. He loves Bioshock.

And you always have us. Oh, and if you really need to, talk to a counselor or find one that can help you. It's better to ask then sit and wait while regretting things or letting them go over board.

| CPU: An abacus | Motherboard: Tin foil | RAM: 2 Popsicle sticks | GPU: Virtual Boy | Case: Cardboard box | Storage: Cardboard | PSU: 3... Er... Make that 2 hamsters | Display(s): Broken glass | Cooling: Brawndo | Keyboard: More cardboard | Mouse: Jerry | Sound: 2 Cans of SpaghettiO's |

Well then, welcome!

Also, cheer up, life is good.....  :) It really is.

great story man i hope your life stays like this and u get a nice pc that you can place on your desc and admire all day long

great story man i hope your life stays like this and u get a nice pc that you can place on your desc and admire all day long

I just posted a few pics of my first ever proper PC on this forum
Dream Build: 

Always amazing to me to read stuff like this. 

Some day I feel like we just make videos about tech junk and it doesn't really matter.

Then someone tells me about our impact and I'm blown away every time...

Keep on keepin' on, man. Glad to hear things are looking up for you.

looks great but... why the apple sticker on the top?

Always amazing to me to read stuff like this. 

Some day I feel like we just make videos about tech junk and it doesn't really matter.

Then someone tells me about our impact and I'm blown away every time...

Keep on keepin' on, man. Glad to hear things are looking up for you.

it is also awesome that you made a forum so we can tel you stuf and things like this

You nearly had me in tears. Also why not try and start your own Youtube channel about gaming or tech? It will help you pass the time. It will also build up your confidence, self belief and you will get a lot of nerdy youtube friends. Yay. Who doesn't love a good chat about RAM speeds.

I am happy you found something that keep you going.

Your story is very inspiring man. Just know that you'll always have friends on here. In the meantime you should try to find like minded people who like the same things you do. I have a few people like that and that certainly cheers me up.

Do seek help if you get low like that again though. Therapy isn't for those who are weak or weird. It can really help you out just to be able to talk things out with someone in a nonjudgmental space.

Glad to see things are looking out for you and good luck for the future!

FYI I am also 200+ pounds and the best way to deal with it is to completely ignore comments about it or make them feel foolish with snarky comebacks.

Not that I get comments about it but that would be the best way I suppose. :)