Book suggestion for Java? (€30-40)

as96

What book should I buy to learn Java? 

Searching online I saw that a lot of people suggest "Thinking in Java", but I'm not sure, any suggestions? 

It's not my first language, I already know C# and have a basic knowledge of C (learned it at school but except for that never really used it)

There are lots of free tutorials on the internet...

Java is really easy to learn.However,it's different from C#,as Java is an object-oriented programming language.You'll need some getting used to.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

However,it's different from C#,as Java is an object-oriented programming language

(C# is object-oriented as well, so he's good there)

(C# is object-oriented as well, so he's good there)

Well...nevermind then.

That's a disatvantage of not knowing C# D:

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

• 4 weeks later...

I'm still looking for a book, can you suggest me one?

I can do better than that, I can give you a pdf copy of a decent one. I'll give you details when I get home tonight (busy at work right now) :P

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

I like the Head First series. They do have a book on Java, but I didn't read it.

This series also tends to polarize people, they either like or hate the way it's written. That beeing said they are fun to read imo.

I think some are also available for free, but I rather not post the link, cannot decide if that's really legit. Just google it.

I can do better than that, I can give you a pdf copy of a decent one. I'll give you details when I get home tonight (busy at work right now) :P

Thank you  :D

I like the Head First series. They do have a book on Java, but I didn't read it.

This series also tends to polarize people, they either like or hate the way it's written. That beeing said they are fun to read imo.

I think some are also available for free, but I rather not post the link, cannot decide if that's really legit. Just google it.

I heard that the "head first" book is outdated, it's true? 

Well...nevermind then.

That's a disatvantage of not knowing C# D:

C# is basically Microsoft saying "Hey, that Java is pretty popular, right? Why don't we make our own version and then charge money to develop with it?"

I prefer C# to Java, though... it has some nice stuff brought in from C++ that is useful. Preprocessor directives, structs, pointers (a restricted and very guarded implementation of pointers but they are there for if you need them)...

I heard that the "head first" book is outdated, it's true? 

Well it's not the newest, I give you that. It's probably based on Java 1.6, and I don't think the basics changed (that much) to this day.

Many Universities use Java Concepts by Cay Horstmann as an introductory book. I've read it and it is indeed good for an introduction to OOP with Java.

It is a bit on the expensive side though, but I'm pretty sure you can find a "discount". :)

Want to solve problems? Check this out.

Many Universities use Java Concepts by Cay Horstmann as an introductory book. I've read it and it is indeed good for an introduction to OOP with Java.

It is a bit on the expensive side though, but I'm pretty sure you can find a "discount". :)

I can think of a great many places to obtain said "discount"  :lol:

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.