Project Rained-On [2011-Rig Rebuild || completed]

Mounted the two Noiseblocker Eloop B12-4 fans in the front using the EK Uni mounts and cable ties.

aprNRr1l.jpg

Vh7W8Z5l.jpg

I filed some gaps into the front plastic frame to allow for the cables to run behind the motherboard tray.

bOHUjQAl.jpg

A1TkTeHl.jpg

Personal Build Project "Rained-On"

helped building up the CPU Overclocking Database and GPU Overclocking Database, check them out ;)

#KilledMyWife #MakeBombs #LinusIsNotFunny || Please, dont use non-default grey font colors. Think about the night-theme users! ;)

Today I decided to give my keyboard a clean, since I havent done this since I got it.

keycaps taking a bath in 1/10 isoproyl alcohol solution

htQbr9Hl.jpg

out to dry over night

mELaijVl.jpg

also I went ahead, completely disassempled the whole keyboard and removed the pcb

oTmQaz0l.jpg

one of the leds just broke, so I thought one of the soldering connections might have come loose, due to heavy keyboard mashing :P

unfortunately this wasnt the case, even after reinforcing the soldered connections it didnt work. Now I am working on getting a replacement led

LRSTh37l.jpg

Back on my K70 MX red. God, this feels so weird, my fingers want to puke :D

helped building up the CPU Overclocking Database and GPU Overclocking Database, check them out ;)

#KilledMyWife #MakeBombs #LinusIsNotFunny || Please, dont use non-default grey font colors. Think about the night-theme users! ;)

Back on my K70 MX red. God, this feels so weird, my fingers want to puke :D

Whats your normal keyboard? I have browns and reds feel super weird to me too.

Pentium G3258 @ 4.2GHz | Asus R9 290 | MSI Z97s SLI Plus | 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 1600MHZ | Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | 250GB 840 Evo |Evga Supernova 750W | Win 7 Home Premium | Corsair Obsidian 800D |

i5-2450M @ 2.50 GHz | 8GB RAM | 500GB 5400rpm HDD | Nvidia gt630m | Win 8.1 Pro |

Whats your normal keyboard? I have browns and reds feel super weird to me too.

Its called Code Keyboard and has Cherry MX Greens, so basically heavier blues

Hey, the package from Nils aka MDPC-X and the usb connectors from HongKong arrived yesterday! Time for some more cabling work...

This includes redoing the power distribution for pump, fans and led strips and also doing some custom usb peripheral cables. Since my computer has a new place on my desk, I figures I might as well build the cables for the exact legth they need to be. Time to dust off my never existent soldering skills. :D

hiYa8AJl.jpg

So this is the 4pin molex --> 4pin molex + 2pin 12V molex + 2pin 12V 3pin fan adaptor, that I mentioned with the drawing earlier in the build log. 

hurwJETl.jpg

Still waiting for the 0.14mm2 cables (~AWG 28) for the usb stuff to continue and possibly end this madness of a rebuild this weekend. Also I might reorganize the build log as in including links to the individual updates on the front page and spoiling out some pictures...

The lighting is now wired up correctly and installed ...well, almost. The strip for the black acrylic died for some reaseon (I accidentally ripped it appart *derp*), so I will get a new one soon. Also tomorrow I will start trying out some stuff with the custom braided usb cables, but I think the front side of the rig is mostly finished actually. So here is another glamour shot with terrible lighting ;) Oh and I also installed the cable in place holder thingy on the gpu cables

WTaT72al.jpg

The coolant will be changed once more soon, too ...probably tomorrow.

So, this morning I just tried to create a usb a to mini b cable for my o2 odac. and guess what it worked!!

If you have shaky hands, I can not recommend soldering usb cables, especially smaller than a type connectors. even those were a pain in the ass, this one cable took me one hour. but Im happy with the result :)

Ynnf5Nvl.jpg

SGkEewgl.jpg

HAHA, UPDATE TIME!

IM DONE, ITS FINISHED ...mostly...

I did the final drain and refill of the loop and used to opportunity to install the quick disconnect fitting on the highest point of the loop. This helps with getting air into the loop in the event of draining.

jgs8nApl.jpg

Its tucked away behind the bezels of the rear compartment just above the 5.25" bays and fan hub, secured with some twist ties for easy access.

J789EnAl.jpg

The cable management on the back is done and mostly sorted. The only thing missing is the lighting for the black acrylic with the ssds. This should arrive today though and be installed within a few minutes.

8WrYSx2l.jpg

The front is done as well, again, apart from the ssd lighting. But the coolant is now at its final white color, the led on the gpu and the ram does give it a redish lighting tint, but I dont mind. The gpu cables are now also properly organized with cable combs and of course zip ties.

aTsM2K6l.jpg

Finally, here is a shot with the acrylic side panel on. I guess you couldnt even notice from looking at the pictures, apart from the mounting latches on the top and bottom.

97CmTUyl.jpg

More pictures will follow when Im actually done, completely, and forever. But for the last holiday week I plan on getting my room and desk ready, do some cleaning and then putting it into position.

stay tuned!

such a nice build, good job

Intel i7 4770k @4.5ghz, Asus Maximus VI Formula, Asus Geforce GTX 780, Corsair h100i, Corsair Neutron GTX 240gb, WD Black 1tb, Corsair 750D, Corsair AX860i w/ Sleeved Cables.

I rarely leave the build logs section.

How about putting a thin bezel around the acrylic using a vinyl wrap or something, just to hide the ugliness of the notches and stuff for attaching the side panel? looking great anyways, well done!

Pentium G3258 @ 4.2GHz | Asus R9 290 | MSI Z97s SLI Plus | 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 1600MHZ | Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | 250GB 840 Evo |Evga Supernova 750W | Win 7 Home Premium | Corsair Obsidian 800D |

i5-2450M @ 2.50 GHz | 8GB RAM | 500GB 5400rpm HDD | Nvidia gt630m | Win 8.1 Pro |

How about putting a thin bezel around the acrylic using a vinyl wrap or something, just to hide the ugliness of the notches and stuff for attaching the side panel? looking great anyways, well done!

great idea, do you have any suggestions what kind of vinyl you would recommend?

So, since I am practically done with this whole rebuild project, I thought Id give you a small final update.

As you can see, I have painted the wall behind my desk gray and rearranged my whole "nerd corner". I know there is a lot of cables, but hey, its computers and stuff, so I dont mind.

Everything is in its final position now, installed and ready to be used.

CJzJ50vl.jpg

Some more closeups of the rig, with all panels on and the ssd lighting installed. The fluid has gotten strawberry yoghurt color again, but I dont care any more, as you cant see it with the white lighting on anyways.

SJJC2k9l.jpg

nLTGAhSl.jpg

Using the dead MSI GTX 780 Ti gaming as a coaster now :D

Q9joGCUl.jpg

I will update the front page of the build log shortly with all the final parts and tag it as finished. If you have any more questions regarding my setup, feel free to ask. ;)

great idea, do you have any suggestions what kind of vinyl you would recommend?

I suggest going on ebay/amazon or to a major hardware or crafts shop (those should have some), then get a colour that suits the build or possibly carbon fibre.

you should get a super expensive custom paint job of a bunch of water drops on the case :)

Looks sick!

5.1GHz 4770k

My Specs

Intel i7-4770K @ 4.7GHz | Corsair H105 w/ SP120 | Asus Gene VI | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LP | 2x GTX 780Ti| Corsair 750D | OCZ Agility 3 | Samsung 840/850 | Sandisk SSD | 3TB WD RED | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Corsair RM850 | ASUS PB278Q | SyncMaster 2370HD | SyncMaster P2450

• 3 months later...

Keyboard: Corsair K70 (Cherry MX Red)

Hey uhh, I'm considering buying this keyboard with red switches next month, can you recommend it? Is it good for what it's worth?