Does anyone know where to get lenses for google cardboard?

andrew63677

Not sure if this is the right section to post this or not but if you haven't heard google recently showed google cardboard which is basically a makeshift oculus rift for your phone. You can check it out here https://developers.google.com/cardboard/ . Anyways, the link to the lenses they have on that site is sold out and i can't find anything like them anywhere else. Any of you have any idea where i could get some?

The link that YOU gave us tells you where to get the lenses. I found them, having never even been on that page, within a couple seconds. Come on man >.<

I really wish that we'd just make organic hardware already, that grows and adapts to the demands it needs to meet. That way, grannies' computers can be floppy sacks of organicness and the 12 year old Minecrafters will look like the guys that only do bicep curls, and the nerdy programmers will finally have justice, with their body-builder rigs that skipped leg day.

CPU: i7-4770k 4.8GHz | Motherboard: Asus Maximus Hero | RAM: 16gigs 2133MHz | GPU: SLI Gigabyte OC 2gb 770's | Case: INWIN GRone | Storage: 1tb Blue, 60gb SSD | PSU: Silencer MK II 950w | Cooling: Modded H100i

if you had read my post i said that the lenses that they linked to are sold out and i'm looking for different ones.

Ah. Apologies. It doesn't say out of stock on my end. Are you in US or EU?

I really wish that we'd just make organic hardware already, that grows and adapts to the demands it needs to meet. That way, grannies' computers can be floppy sacks of organicness and the 12 year old Minecrafters will look like the guys that only do bicep curls, and the nerdy programmers will finally have justice, with their body-builder rigs that skipped leg day.

CPU: i7-4770k 4.8GHz | Motherboard: Asus Maximus Hero | RAM: 16gigs 2133MHz | GPU: SLI Gigabyte OC 2gb 770's | Case: INWIN GRone | Storage: 1tb Blue, 60gb SSD | PSU: Silencer MK II 950w | Cooling: Modded H100i

Ah. Apologies. It doesn't say out of stock on my end. Are you in US or EU?

No worries. US.

No worries. US.

Huh. Same. I don't see it out of stock. I'm assuming you checked before posting this, so it's probably not back in stock yet.

edit: Can't put it in cart, guess it is out of stock. Don't know where to get it otherwise.

Huh. Same. I don't see it out of stock. I'm assuming you checked before posting this, so it's probably not back in stock yet.

edit: Can't put it in cart, guess it is out of stock. Don't know where to get it otherwise.

Thanks for trying anyways. Did it say how much they cost for you? Mine just says they are currently unavailable.

No worries. US.

if you had read my post i said that the lenses that they linked to are sold out and i'm looking for different ones.

go to a $1 store and find the things that make text bigger on pages. Those work according to people ive spoken to.

The lenses are pretty hard to find actually. It also did not help that Google changed their recommended lenses from 40mm focal length to 50 focal length. What that equates to is 7x to 8x magnification. 8x is 50mm and 7x is 41mm I believe. Therefore if you find 7x kid binoculars and break them open then you should have it. Try and make sure they are 25mm diameter by measuring them with a ruler. I do realize that may be impossible, but if the lenses are 24mm they will fall out. If they are bigger I guess you can just cram them up in there. Either way the 25mm diameter is just as important as the 40-45mm focal length

Or, if you want to skip all the hassle and just order the correct lenses with free US shipping order here: http://www.unofficialcardboard.com

Hi.

There are other sources as the German retailer who fortunate enough to be called by the Google guys.

For example http://www.surplusshed.com/lens.cfm .

I have measure the distance from the center of this "slot" for the cardboard, that holds the lenses, to the surface of the smartphone.
With a digital calipper, ~41,3mm, not "45mm". The focal point begins at the center of a lens.

Do you want to be more accurate, add the thicknes of the gorilla glas (the image is under the glas) :-) .

Actually ~0,7mm.
The perfect focal point would be 42mm.

The google guys recommend "biconvex". But "double convex" is "biconvex" with two different sides, for even less distortion (as a normal biconvex).

All lenses $4.50, the few (nothing exact) biconvex, all double convex (~16-55mm diameter) and with and without anti reflective coating (in this construction with only one lens and no external light not important, perhaps is the shimmering surface even a disadvantage).

Will someone try large lenses? 
I am interested in the results with large lenses. Maybe you reached ​​a larger field of view, can move the eyes.
For example, 55mm diameter, uncoated, 41mm focal point. 
Stock #: L11441 
That's the biggest lens. 
But at the same price as the small one-inch lens or 16mm lenses. 

Or 45mm diameter, coated with exactly 42mm focal point. 
Stock #: L11156 

U.S. citizens could order faster and possibly cheaper, and share the experience. 
I have to wait 10-20 days when I order, and pay attention the tax.

Look this picture from a hard hand made version from ebay:http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NjU1WDkyOA==/z/gREAAOSwDk5TtZHP/$_57.JPG
It seems these are not the 1 inch lenses.

My thought:
Two cardboard. At the outer sides a thin flexible cardboard glued.
In "rails" movable lens holder.
The flexible paperboard at the edges slide along the inner walls.
You can adjust the interpupillary distance.