Mac Pro....Worth it?

I've been wanting to learn how to use adobe after effects for CGI work, Adobe Premiere and Speedgrade (I currently use Final Cut Pro for general editing) and I'm also interested running a few games on the side (with windows bootcamp, of course) and one of my strongest contenders is the Mac Pro other than of course building a PC. Any Suggestions? Use Case: Heavy Editing and very light gaming (I'm mainly a console gamer). I also have great experience with Mac OSX, so yeah. Those are the facts...

build  a hackintosh

msi z97m gaming - i5 4690k @4.4ghz 1.2V corsair h110 powercolor r9 290x pcs+ - 8GB corsair vengeance dual channel @2133mhz - thermaltake smart power se 730watts - intel 530 series 240GB ssd seagate 1tb 7200rpm - corsiar obsidian 350D - 2x enermax tb silence 140mm - logitech x-530 - sony mdr xb600 - medion 24'' 1080P cm storm quickfire tk white edition with cherry mx red cheap but awesome mouse #GloriousPaintMasterRace

The hackintosh concept was highly intriguing to me but because of the hardware limitations, compatibility stuff and riskiness, I discarded it. 

In your situation, it depends - would you benefit from workstation grade hardware, i.e. are you looking for the most stable platform you can get? then go mac pro.

If you are willing to tinker a little, and want a little more choice and upgradability, go with a hackintosh - you can choose which components are most important to you and spend more there.

The people who like OSX tend to be those who aren't bothered about messing around to get the best experience, so I lean towards mac pro. Not much competition.

Everything said by me is my humble opinion and nothing more, unless otherwise stated.

Unless you're a professional and have a genuine need for server grade hardware I don't think the Mac Pro represents very good value. Obviously its cost is justified in quite a few regards but for most use cases a hackintosh is a better option, especially if you want to dual boot do some gaming on Windows. If you've got the cash and are willing to part with it, the Mac Pro is a very special and cool machine. hackintosh's will always have compatibility issues but that's the price (lol) that you pay. My experience with doing it has been pretty positive but that was with a well known and widely used configuration.

tl;dr if you have the money get a Mac Pro

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

I personally don't want to tinker as much. I just want a stable and reliable platform to start doing some proper editing. P.S. Just occasional gaming; not my main focus...

If you're going to mostly use Adobe software, no, just plain don't do it, in it's current shape Mac Pro is unoptimized, but you would get quite a jump in your Final Cut Pro editing app, but I still think it's not worth it.

If you're going to mostly use Adobe software, no, just plain don't do it, in it's current shape Mac Pro is unoptimized, but you would get quite a jump in your Final Cut Pro editing app, but I still think it's not worth it.

True! i hear it is terrible atm, but its bound to get optimised soon. P.S. I would most likely make this purchase sometime in September..

Noooooooooo

I can make you a build with workstation components that beat out the mac. Just please don't buy the trash can, especially because there are so many more programs for windows. I'll make it so that you can also install mac osx on it.

I'll get home soon and make the build. I'll need 20 or so mins.

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

True! i hear it is terrible atm, but its bound to get optimised soon. P.S. I would most likely make this purchase sometime in September..

Nah, i don't think it's going to get better anytime soon, Adobe doesn't recognize D700 GPU, i mean wtf, why didn't they just name it normally, I think there are some third party fixes you can thinker with, but if adobe is your aim, try building a hackintosh, but remember, hackintoshes are illegal, so i wouldn't even bother with that.

Noooooooooo

I can make you a build with workstation components that beat out the mac. Just please don't buy the trash can, especially because there are so many more programs for windows. I'll make it so that you can also install mac osx on it.

I'll get home soon and make the build. I'll need 20 or so mins.

Thanks! 

@FluxVortex37, you could just go with a high end 27" iMac and max it out to your liking. Just an option that you may/may not have considered. ;)

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

@FluxVortex37, you could just go with a high end 27" iMac and max it out to your liking. Just an option that you may/may not have considered. ;)

I did consider it but too weak in terms of specs...(even the highest end one)

I expect most on here to tell you to build your own PC. IMO most of them are missing the point.

If you can afford it and want a small computer, then get whatever you really want. I've heard someone say that he likes to take his computer with him when he travels so he can edit his videos right then and there. That's something I wouldn't want to do with a huge tower.

I don't really play many games for gameplay anymore honestly. I play most games just for the graphics.

I expect most on here to tell you to build your own PC. IMO most of them are missing the point.

If you can afford it and want a small computer, then get whatever you really want. I've heard someone say that he likes to take his computer with him when he travels so he can edit his videos right then and there. That's something I wouldn't want to do with a huge tower.

That's a good point. :D

The question is: would you really need a xeon or firepros? If not i would build a hackintosh or something. If you do need the stability of a xeon/firepro and the special drivers for it, go ahead. The mac pro isnt a bad choice at all for productivity, for people that need the hardware

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

@FluxVortex37, you probably don't wanna do anything illegal. So I'd say, if you've got a cool $3K - $5K, go for it.

@FluxVortex37, you probably don't wanna do anything illegal. So I'd say, if you've got a cool $3K - $5K, go for it. :D

Yeah! Thnaks!

Yeah! Thnaks!

No wroreis...*cough*...I mean...worries. :P

Thanks! 

The availibility and pricing will vary depending on where you live.

Facts to keep in mind:

The mac pro 3000$ version uses a 4 core

it uses 2 x D300 GPUs

it has 12GB of ECC DDR3 RAM

it has a 256GB PCIe based SSD (speeds ~750 mbps)

Here is the part list i have out together with a site that i use (geizhals.at):

Mobo: https://geizhals.at/supermicro-x9sra-retail-mbd-x9sra-o-a835903.html (260 euros)

CPU: https://geizhals.at/intel-xeon-e5-1650-v2-cm8063501292204-a994406.html (510 euros)

SSD: https://geizhals.at/mushkin-scorpion-deluxe-240gb-mknp44sc240gb-dx-a990803.html (380 euros)

RAM: https://geizhals.at/kingston-valueram-intel-dimm-kit-32gb-kvr13r9d4k2-32i-a782446.html (255 euros)

Case (this is personal preference): https://geizhals.at/kingston-valueram-intel-dimm-kit-32gb-kvr13r9d4k2-32i-a782446.html (110 euros)

HDD: https://geizhals.at/western-digital-wd-red-4tb-wd40efrx-a992027.html (150 euros)

GPUs (x2): https://geizhals.at/gainward-geforce-gtx-780-phantom-2982-a968049.html (390 x 2 = 780 (2 780s cost 780 :P))

PSU: https://geizhals.at/evga-supernova-750-g2-750w-atx-2-3-220-g2-0750-xr-a1083914.html (100 euros)

CPU cooler: https://geizhals.at/enermax-ets-t40-tb-a672830.html (30 euros)

TOTAL = 2575 Euros =~= 3000 US$ in terms of computer parts.

This build features:

• 6 core CPU
  • Server grade components (except for GPUs which were chosen as most professional programs use CUDA acceleration)
  • SSD has 2000 mbps read/write speeds, more than double the speed of the Mac Pro's
  • We have a NAS/Server grade HDD, 4TB (the mac pro has NO HDD at all)
  • the GPUs will outperform the D300 not only in professional applications but also in games (by A LOT). They are also compatible with mac osx.
  • The PSU is gold rated (and made by the reputable super flower) and has enough wattage to accommodate further upgrades AND has a 10 year warranty
  • The CPU cooler isn't anything extreme, but you won't be overclocking so it'll keep your computer very silent
  • I think the case looks professional, with white and black and also a window if you ever want to have a quick look inside or want to show off your computer to your colleagues / family / friends.

If you have any further questions feel free to ask.

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

I've been wanting to learn how to use adobe after effects for CGI work, Adobe Premiere and Speedgrade (I currently use Final Cut Pro for general editing) and I'm also interested running a few games on the side (with windows bootcamp, of course) and one of my strongest contenders is the Mac Pro other than of course building a PC. Any Suggestions? Use Case: Heavy Editing and very light gaming (I'm mainly a console gamer). I also have great experience with Mac OSX, so yeah. Those are the facts...

You should be a comedian when you grow up.

it sounds like you have made your mind up on the mac pro but my 2 cents go with the hackintosh. i have built and used a hackintosh and TBH it was flawless every thing works on it with the exception of imessage (its hit and miss) as long as you use the right parts (intel, gigbyte mobo, and nvidia) your laughing

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

Having only the bast 3000$ Mac Pro, your 12GB RAM will be a bottleneck if you edit huge media files, and worse, only 256GB SSD, which would fill up at a flash in a workstation environment, and no HDD for mass storage. Then Apple likely uses low-end Xeon processors, along with lower-end FirePro cards. Apple simply gets 2/5 of profit per Mac Pro sold, the same with any other Apple device. They have an ecosystem where people will buy overpriced products.