Intel Pentium G3258 vs. AMD Fx 6300

Now I'm even more doubtful. You're not meant to stress-test haswell CPU's with Prime 95 (Devils Canyon is haswell with better TIM) because it pumps too much voltage into your CPU. The problem should still occur with devils canyon.. Also, I use IBT and 10 is enough to ensure stability but I'm surprised it made it to 10 lol. Pics? I'm finding it so hard to believe lol.

1. do you really think I don't know what MY cpu is?

2.Linus runs prime95 for 24 hours apparently.

That's why I use prime95 after IBT.

3. You don't realize that Pentium G3258 is a BAD ASS cpu.

I find your lack of faith in the Pentium disturbing.

cycle9.png

cycle10.png

The first round was faster because I started watching anime after first one.

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

G3258. the chipset will last you longer. I have it, other than the fact I had to play bf4 at 15fps avg. (mind you it was probably because of my dying h80i) 

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

G3258. the chipset will last you longer. I have it, other than the fact I had to play bf4 at 15fps avg. (mind you it was probably because of my dying h80i) 

Battlefield 4 never dipped below 40 for me(siege of shanghai levolution is a b**ch) and is usually above 60 average fps depending on map.

Why do you even bother watercooling a g3258?

Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

Battlefield 4 never dipped below 40 for me(siege of shanghai levolution is a b**ch) and is usually above 60 average fps depending on map.

Why do you even bother watercooling a g3258?

because I was going to upgrade to i7 in november. but it was defective anyways and i'll probably sell it. my stock cooler is quieter than that stuff

must of been the crappy cooling my pc was getting.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

because I was going to upgrade to i7 in november. but it was defective anyways and i'll probably sell it. my stock cooler is quieter than that stuff

must of been the crappy cooling my pc was getting.

Maybe you should just change the fan to something decent instead?

Maybe you should just change the fan to something decent instead?

I'll probably replace the stock cooler with something a little better but not a h80i. 

Computing enthusiast. 

1. do you really think I don't know what MY cpu is?

2.Linus runs prime95 for 24 hours apparently.

That's why I use prime95 after IBT.

3. You don't realize that Pentium G3258 is a BAD ASS cpu.

I find your lack of faith in the Pentium disturbing.

cycle9.png

cycle10.png

The first round was faster because I started watching anime after first one.

1. Human error is a thing. People can lie from time to time. 

2.I don't doubt linus said that you should run prime95 for 24 hours, I 100% agree with that. But I believe he most likely used prime95 in the past and says the previous statement if you still use prime95. If for some reason he is.. if you do a search online you can see the consensus is don't because it puts more voltage into your cpu that it needs (I'm pretty sure he says it in a couple of his videos too..). If linus isn't too busy maybe he can comment on this @Linus .

3. I am aware the g3258 is a badass cpu, I never said it wasn't. I just find it hard to believe you got such good results from it on a stock cooler. People give the stock coolers a lot more flack than they deserve but they aren't that good to my knowledge.

Also, they totally got Kanburus facial expression in the first pic you posted right.

more questions is FCLGA1150 same as LGA1150, i mean can the fit the same cpu, if i want to upgrade to i7 later down the line. On intel's site it says FCLGA1150 but on the motherboards it says LGA1150

LGA: land-grid array

FCLGA: flip-chip land-grid array

Flip chip means they ball the die and then flip it onto the package, LGA is just the socket connector. LGA is just abbreviated FCLGA these days.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

That's not how it works ;)

For example, Starcraft, Dota 2, etc they won't use over 2 cores.

However Battlefield 4 is a different story.

Pretty sure Dota 2 is multithreaded since one of its updates....at least on my PC running Dota 2 results in all cores being used equally

Just noticed.....so many Anime avatars O.oxD

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

I doubt it's stable. Reviews I've seen are usually 4.7Ghz on a H100i or something similar.. I know they improved the TIM but on the stock cooler that's pretty much not possible..lol.

Stock cooler rocks a copper core, so it's not exactly a throw out cheapy. I've seen people run 4.7 GHz time and time again on just the Hyper 212 EVO.

$99 Pentium G3258 + MSI Z97 Mobo - $10 Rebate = $89

If you live near a Micro Center how could you go wrong for that price.

2 cores vs "3" cores. I would choose 6300 in this case. I prefer more cores so I can multi-task without any slow downs. However in many games the Intel will have better performance but nothing huge and life changing.

Games = Fast cores > More cores (most of the games dont use more than 2 cores anyway). 

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

(most of the games dont use more than 2 cores anyway). 

False. This is 2014, Almost every game made now uses 3+ threads besides maybe a few indies. However the faster Intel cores will make up some of the difference sometimes but not all the time.

I think the only game I have that uses 2 threads is Borderlands out of the 60 I own.

False. This is 2014, Almost every game made now uses 3+ threads besides maybe a few indies. However the faster Intel cores will make up some of the difference sometimes but not all the time.

I think the only game I have that uses 2 threads is Borderlands out of the 60 I own.

Well he owns 270, I dont think he is gonna be playing that kind of games.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Well he owns 270, I dont think he is gonna be playing that kind of games.

a 270 is good enough to play any modern games at 1080p, in fact the 270 is a card that overclock very well and once that done it wont trail your 760 by much!

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

This is the Tech Talk with the Intel Engineer, with a question specifically from me on June 20th of this year:

Start listening at minute 24:30

--"Game developers have been telling us for years that Hyperthreading and more cores will have a more linear effect on performance, and for years this has remain untrue.  Do you think Hyperthreading will soon show more profound performance gains when it comes to gaming in the near future?  If so, how long?  It seems like it has been 3 or more years that recommended specs have been telling us to buy i7s, yet the performance difference is negligible when comparing an i5 and i7.  Does it make sense to try and "future proof" by going with an i7 over an i5."

--"Realistically what game developers do is develop to the lowest common denominator, which is still 2 cores."

Another soundbite at Minute 33:30:

"Why would we release a consumer grade chip with 6 cores when software is not taking advantage of it?"

He says that rhetorically.

"Dual core is the bottom of the stack....We are moving forward as the software calls for it, but until we see demand for 6/8/10/12 cores in the mainstream world, what advantage would Intel have at releasing these parts, that can't really be utilized, it is really a niche place for 8 threads to be utilized."

The most telling moment of the stream starts at minute 60, there is too much to list word for word so I will summarize:

Intel wants more thread utilization, they want to push us up the stack because technology is there.  They are frustrated that software hasn't caught up, but when you look on Steam, and you see what kind of systems people have, the vast majority is dual core.  So if I'm a game developer I am designing the game for dual core because that is where the money is.

Listen to the stream starting from minute 60, and you will understand that games are not being made for more than 4 threads.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

he keeps posting that everywhere just ignore him, its true many games nowadays love to use more threads an 4 thread cpu is a minimum to consider imho.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

That's not how it works ;)

For example, Starcraft, Dota 2, etc they won't use over 2 cores.

However Battlefield 4 is a different story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUlS5Q7tEJI

Granted it is single player but there are example on youtube of multiplayer such as https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjV-kKz12To.  While not as future proof, more than playable.

he keeps posting that everywhere just ignore him, its true many games nowadays love to use more threads an 4 thread cpu is a minimum to consider imho.

Oh I know. Just look at watch dogs the Pentium gets crushed. =/ 

all games that r9 270 can run  

As an owner of said card, can confirm you can run just about every game I've thrown at it (at high-ultra for that matter!)

Here's an interesting review of an OC'd Pentium, that beats even the 8350 in Crysis 3 based on average fps (just by a little). Now this is just a case study, not the end all be all review but it's telling that the dual core has the potential to beat amd's 8 core in intense games like crysis 3

http://techreport.com/review/26735/overclocking-intel-pentium-g3258-anniversary-edition-processor/3

Wow, so much misinformation in this thread about the g3258 like I see on countless forums.

1. Buy the g3258. Between fx6300 being old as hell, and the mobo selection being horrible, I won't consider AMD until they release something new.

2. Don't bother buying a third party cooler if you don't have one already. You can still overclock it high enough before diminishing returns and without it getting too hot. Intel stock cooler is underrated. It's quiet and this one actually comes with a copper core.

3. Most games USE 1-2 cores and this thing still performs great in multicore games due to its core performance. Having issues with Watch Dogs isn't any issue in my mind, as that game is just horribly optimized in the first place. Blame the devs, not the cpu.

4. You do not need a Z board to overclock this cpu. Stop spreading misinfo. Many h81's can OC it and be stable. Search Google to find which will work. There's a good thread on Anand.

5. Finally you can practically get a g3258 for ~$30 if you can get in on a newegg combo with mobo. Even if the fx6300 is better in some areas, nothing can touch the g3258's $/performance.

No game effectively utilizes 8 threads, not even Battlefield 4. They do take advantage of the available threads, tho the code is utter shit when it comes to utilizing anything beyond 4 cores.

A lot of the fault lies within' Microsoft. DirectX is one of the main reasons why AMD microprocessors don't game very well. It's not just a restriction in games themselves, but also in the API that they leverage.

To give you an idea of what I mean for every game that uses DirectX, the frame time is ultimately determined by the latency of the thread running on just core #0.

Microsoft is trying to get their head in the game (DirectX 12) before someone comes along and proves it's been them the whole time (e.g. explains why they are working diligently with AMD on DX12).

All this breaks down to a logical explanation of why a dual core Pentium can best a eight core FX even in heavily threaded games.

Wrong again Nanosuits, wrong again.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

I completely agree with I_build_nanosuits fx6300 if you don't plan on upgrading in the near future the Pentium if you do intent to upgrade to an i5-i7 soon.

I completely agree with I_build_nanosuits fx6300 if you don't plan on upgrading in the near future the Pentium if you do intent to upgrade to an i5-i7 soon.

i won't upgrade till the playstation 5 

Specs: AMD FX 6300 @ 4ghz, Asus R9 270 OC, 8gb Corsair xms3, Cooler Master GX 550w PSU, WD 500 blue, Gigabyte  GA-970A-DS3