Twitch streaming and DVR features come to the AMD Gaming Evolved Client

Abakan

http://community.amd.com/community/amd-blogs/amd-gaming/blog/2014/06/19/twitch-streaming-and-dvr-features-come-to-the-amd-gaming-evolved-client

Today we’re happy to announce some new features that will bring even more gaming excitement to those millions of users. These features are BETA additions to the AMD Gaming Evolved Client. They will be completely polished soon, but in the meantime we invite you to try them out.

The first of these features is digital video recording, or DVR. Just like the popular feature many people use with their TVs, the new DVR feature is always recording your gameplay, making up to the last 10 minutes available for replay, saving and sharing. The next time you bust an astounding move, you’ll be able to share it with all your friends. The feature is intended to be left always on, so you never have to worry about forgetting it, and the overhead required to keep it running in the background is minimal. It’s a terrific way of saving and sharing your best moments, including the ones you didn’t plan for.

As great as DVR is, sometimes a recording is not what you’re after and only live action will do. For that, we’re happy to announce that Twitch is now integrated into the AMD Gaming Evolved Client. Twitch is the leading platform for live game streaming. Now you can use it to share live gameplay, broadcast tournaments and show your skills to the world, all from within the AMD Gaming Evolved Client.

What do you guys think? Still looking this over and trying to find out if there are hardware and software requirements.

Beware the irrational, however seductive. Shun the ‘transcendent’ and all who invite you to subordinate or annihilate yourself. Distrust compassion; prefer dignity for yourself and others. Don’t be afraid to be thought arrogant or selfish. Picture all experts as if they were mammals. Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence. Suspect your own motives, and all excuses. Do not live for others any more than you would expect others to live for you.

Good, because I plan on doing a lot of streaming, and since i'm going to be buying a AMD CPU and GPU, it will be a lot smoother going.

I saw it some time ago. I like that they are really trying to make this app worth having. The rewards in the store are meh for me, but I know of people who would love those games for free (effectively). I'd only want the GPUs personally. 

It's actually a really good app. I'm split though. There are so many people trying to make a social media website for gamers. The console corporations (particularly Sony & their streaming stuff with PS4), many PC program people (Raptr, for example). Some websites (Duxter, for example). But I think what makes a social media website good/strong is centrality. Like, it being this fractured is a bad thing considering what they want to do. Too many slices of the pie basically.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Sorry but it's a repost: [TechReport] AMD Gaming Evolved Adds Recording/Streaming Capabilities

I was going to make a comparison for some reason they only allow you to record games compatible with Raptr.

It's nice, but I think it would have been better if they had just included it in Catalyst instead, and allowed you to record anything.

This is pretty cool. Hopefully they can make it work as well as shadowplay. From what i have seen shadowplay looks great.

goddamn let's just be straight forward with it and call it "AMD Shadowplay" instead of making new shit up

The only way it's involved with AMD is that it is on the Raptr client which has AMD branding... Unless I missed something regarding AMD specific performance features.

Sorry but it's a repost: [TechReport] AMD Gaming Evolved Adds Recording/Streaming Capabilities

I was going to make a comparison for some reason they only allow you to record games compatible with Raptr.

It's nice, but I think it would have been better if they had just included it in Catalyst instead, and allowed you to record anything.

I figured it would be. 

Well, it only works with Raptr overlay compatible games because it uses the overlay & the program to do the streaming, so it makes sense to me why it is like that. 

I imagine it would work with games that aren't guaranteed to be compatible if they did work with the overlay though.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

goddamn let's just be straight forward with it and call it "AMD Shadowplay" instead of making new shit up

If we follow that logic isn't shadowplay Nvidia's FRAPS ?

Shadowplay does a fair bit more than fraps.

Error: 410

Shadowplay does a fair bit more than fraps.

I'm sure it does but i mean, they both "essentially" do the same thing 

Also it's nice to see that amd users aren't left behind and can also enjoy recording their gameplay without performance drops

I haven't tried streaming since I don't have anywhere near fast enough upload speed to do it but I used the Game DVR and it seems really easy and doesn't chew up as many system resources as others do

current build and total cost   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/150083-thrift-shop-build/

I apologize for my crappy English I'm American

i recorded a powerpoint presentation with fraps once 

that shit works with every freaking window opened, so practical to see how much fps you get on MS Word

Sorry about the repost, this landed in my twitter feed straight from AMD, I should have gone back more than two days in my search. I think it's super interesting and I'd like to know how they plan to keep the hit on the system 'minimal', and what 'minimal' means exactly. What makes ShadowPlay so appealing is the tiny footprint it has on the system, orders of magnitude better than Fraps; but it's locked down to Kepler and beyond. I'm very very curious and if I get lucky and score a reply from AMD I'll post an update. -I've gotten them to reply before, but I'm not holding my breath for more info. Does anyone know, or can anyone imagine a scenario where they may make a more formal announcement? 

Beware the irrational, however seductive. Shun the ‘transcendent’ and all who invite you to subordinate or annihilate yourself. Distrust compassion; prefer dignity for yourself and others. Don’t be afraid to be thought arrogant or selfish. Picture all experts as if they were mammals. Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence. Suspect your own motives, and all excuses. Do not live for others any more than you would expect others to live for you.

Too bad it's not going to happen.

I tried the OBS with the AMD magic thing, VCE I think it was, and it didn't help my performance.

And I currently can't do it myself as I'm not home, and won't be for some time.

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

I figured it would be. 

Well, it only works with Raptr overlay compatible games because it uses the overlay & the program to do the streaming, so it makes sense to me why it is like that. 

I imagine it would work with games that aren't guaranteed to be compatible if they did work with the overlay though.

Yes but my point was, why limit it to games that can use the overlay? If you ask me, it's a stupid restriction since there is absolutely nothing stopping them from making it able to record anything (like FRAPs, OBS and a bunch of other programs).

It would have been much better if they had included it in Catalyst and not locked it down to Raptr games. I don't really see any reason why they would do it like this other than to make people use Raptr.

The whole "it only works with Raptr overlay compatible games" doesn't make sense to me since that is an artificial limitation. It's not like the H.264 encoding block knows what game you are running and therefore only works with certain games.

No because FRAPS has no DVR feature. That was new and 100% unique to Shadowplay. Also, FRAPS was not the first recording software on the market.

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3591491194

No because FRAPS has no DVR feature. That was new and 100% unique to Shadowplay. Also, FRAPS was not the first recording software on the market.

What do you mean by DVR feature ?

FRAPS was by far the most popular / easy to use

You can setup the overlay for any game IIRC but it's still very limited

I used to have an AMD card. My god, this "gaming evolved, raptr" thing is the stupidest thing ever. Just look at that http://www.amd.com/PublishingImages/graphics/illustrations/140px/before-and-after-auto-optimize.png

That's just a demo picture that is on the loadscreens, yes it's a stupid pic but the actually app is a damn good idea.

What do you mean by DVR feature ?

FRAPS was by far the most popular / easy to use

With Shadowplay you don't have to be recording anything, but it will monitor what you are doing a create a temp file as you play. You can set the parameters to different limits like 5 or 10 minutes, then if something happens in game that you want to save, you simply press a button and it saves the last 5 or 10 minutes of your gameplay. Depending on what you set it to. Just like how a DVR works, you can be watching live TV, not recording anything, but really that DVR is saving a temp file of whatever you are watching. It dumps that file and starts over if you change the channel, but if you are sitting there watching something, you can press record and it will automatically save what ever it is you have been watching ever since you turned on the DVR or last changed the channel.

As soon as you are done playing the game, it discards that temp file. Just like when you change channels or turn off your DVR.

FRAPS may be easy to use but it's quality is crap and the program is a fucking ripoff. $37 if you want to be able to record more than 30 seconds at a time, and absolutely no DVR feature.

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3591491194

With Shadowplay you don't have to be recording anything, but it will monitor what you are doing a create a temp file as you play. You can set the parameters to different limits like 5 or 10 minutes, then if something happens in game that you want to save, you simply press a button and it saves the last 5 or 10 minutes of your gameplay. Depending on what you set it to. Just like how a DVR works, you can be watching live TV, not recording anything, but really that DVR is saving a temp file of whatever you are watching. It dumps that file and starts over if you change the channel, but if you are sitting there watching something, you can press record and it will automatically save what ever it is you have been watching ever since you turned on the DVR or last changed the channel.

As soon as you are done playing the game, it discards that temp file. Just like when you change channels or turn off your DVR.

FRAPS may be easy to use but it's quality is crap and the program is a fucking ripoff. $37 if you want to be able to record more than 30 seconds at a time, and absolutely no DVR feature.

FRAPS will produce higher quality videos than QuickSync, Shadowplay and this AMD feature.

I am not saying that you should use FRAPS, but saying that "it's quality is crap" is simply not true.

FRAPS will produce higher quality videos than QuickSync, Shadowplay and this AMD feature.

I am not saying that you should use FRAPS, but saying that "it's quality is crap" is simply not true.

Don't forget that Quicksync, AMD and nVidia H.264 encoding also have compatibililty issues with Sony Vegas (you either can't load the files, or they don't play-back). That is a major drawback compared to Fraps.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Oh now i get it thanks, i was wondering what was that "temp" folder on GameDVR

Wait. So that's what the DVR feature does? 

YES! I finally have a reason to use RAMDisk. :D

† Christian Member †

Don't forget that Quicksync, AMD and nVidia H.264 encoding also have compatibililty issues with Sony Vegas (you either can't load the files, or they don't play-back). That is a major drawback compared to Fraps.

I have no problems using my shadowplay recorded files with sony vegas...