4k TVs, would you recommend buying one?

Imabigmac

I would say yes and also no at the same time. Yes because they are now more cheaper than they were for example 1-2 years before. And for the no part is that even though the 4k tv that are made by big reputable companies I still think that there's still time for them to mature and perfect them. 

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

I bought into the 3D hype, year one. At first, there was little content. By year three, there were too many titles to watch. Personally, the glasses got old. With 4K, I expect way faster adoption. I expect Holiday 2014 to bring in lots of 4K content and by Holiday 2015, HDTVs will be hard to find. Whether or not the consumers are buying, Samsung will stop shipping HDTVs to stores. Even HD Netflix looks way better on a UHD TV.

I'm in Germany. Maybe I should have mentioned that fact in my previous post.

I don't really play many games for gameplay anymore honestly. I play most games just for the graphics.

• 2 weeks later...

Me and my dad watched a sample 4K video on a 4K Samsung TV at a Best Buy. All I can say is that it was probably the best looking video/picture quality that I have ever seen.

I say if you have the money, then sure, get one, but be warned: there's not a lot of 4K content out right now, but lots of it is certainly on the way. Plus, you can pick up a 4K TV for $1,000 or less now, which for a 4K TV, is a very good price.

COMIC SANS

Well today I got a ridiculously good deal on a 4K TV and a home theatre setup, for less than 2900$, and that was with Swedish prices, which is kinda overpriced, like the 55" 4K TV costed less money than a 60" Sony regular tv, like WTF?

Case: Corsair Carbdie 330R Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P Asus Z97-A CPU: AMD FX-6300 i5 4690K 3.5 GHZ + 212 EVO GPU: ASUS GTX 760 DirectCUII Ram: Corsair Vengeance LP 8gb (2x4gb) HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB PSU: Corsair CX500M
Monitor: AOC Q2963pm 29'' 21:9 IPS Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Mousepad: Mionix Sargas 320 Headset: HyperX Cloud Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 RGBIKEA Headset/Headphone Holder

Well today I got a ridiculously good deal on a 4K TV and a home theatre setup, for less than 2900$, and that was with Swedish prices, which is kinda overpriced, like the 55" 4K TV costed less money than a 60" Sony regular tv, like WTF?

Nice, hows the picture quality? Colours? Sharpness? Viewing angles? Motion playback?

Post some pics as well if you're able to!

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Nice, hows the picture quality? Colours? Sharpness? Viewing angles? Motion playback?

Post some pics as well if you're able to!

Yeah will do that, only problem is that I don't have the tv yet, going to pick it up in the store today ;)

Case: Corsair Carbdie 330R Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P Asus Z97-A CPU: AMD FX-6300 i5 4690K 3.5 GHZ + 212 EVO GPU: ASUS GTX 760 DirectCUII Ram: Corsair Vengeance LP 8gb (2x4gb) HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB PSU: Corsair CX500M
Monitor: AOC Q2963pm 29'' 21:9 IPS Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Mousepad: Mionix Sargas 320 Headset: HyperX Cloud Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 RGBIKEA Headset/Headphone Holder

• 3 weeks later...

NO!

There isn't enough content and they are not of good enough quality yet.

Projectors are the future .

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

NO!

There isn't enough content and they are not of good enough quality yet.

Projectors are the future .

I 100% disagree that Projectors are the future. At least in the way they are now.

OLED is the short term future, no question about that. And long term, I think there are two directions that will happen:

1st, Light Emitting Paint and/or micro-thick OLED display technology - the ability to either imbed a display into practically any surface, or the ability to paint a special chemical onto, say, your wall, and turn it into a 300" HDTV.

2nd - long term: Holographics - which I suppose you could potentially call projector technology, but that's splitting hairs and being pedantic as Holographics are so utterly completely different from modern projector technology that it's like saying horse carriages are the future because they also have wheels, just like a Bugatti Veyron ;)

FYI I'm thinking more Mass Effect Style rather then Star Trek Holograms/Holodeck, although eventually that may be the future too, who knows?

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I 100% disagree that Projectors are the future. At least in the way they are now.

OLED is the short term future, no question about that. And long term, I think there are two directions that will happen:

1st, Light Emitting Paint and/or micro-thick OLED display technology - the ability to either imbed a display into practically any surface, or the ability to paint a special chemical onto, say, your wall, and turn it into a 300" HDTV.

2nd - long term: Holographics - which I suppose you could potentially call projector technology, but that's splitting hairs and being pedantic as Holographics are so utterly completely different from modern projector technology that it's like saying horse carriages are the future because they also have wheels, just like a Bugatti Veyron ;)

FYI I'm thinking more Mass Effect Style rather then Star Trek Holograms/Holodeck, although eventually that may be the future too, who knows?

¨

We are going a little further ahead than I was thinking. OLED and especially the painting wall thing is still some way off...Meanwhile, Projectors are at a price level now where I think far more people should consider them. I can't imagine what a big 4K OLED tv is going to cost. The price for big tvs is just too expensive. Theres a reason why very few companies are earning money on tv production. OLED has the same problem as plasma. Its expensive, and until the technology is more mature, it has problems with burn in....something which plasma finally got a handle on but it was still too expensive to produce so people prefered ugly LED instead. I miss panasonic plasma:-(

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

¨

We are going a little further ahead than I was thinking. OLED and especially the painting wall thing is still some way off...Meanwhile, Projectors are at a price level now where I think far more people should consider them. I can't imagine what a big 4K OLED tv is going to cost. The price for big tvs is just too expensive. Theres a reason why very few companies are earning money on tv production. OLED has the same problem as plasma. Its expensive, and until the technology is more mature, it has problems with burn in....something which plasma finally got a handle on but it was still too expensive to produce so people prefered ugly LED instead. I miss panasonic plasma:-(

100% agree with you there. I cried inside when Panasonic announced their exit of the Plasma industry. I miss the Kuro's! I'd still like to get my hands on one some day, but that's more and more unlikely as sooner or later there won't be any good condition Kuro's left in the world that still operate.

100% agree with you there. I cried inside when Panasonic announced their exit of the Plasma industry. I miss the Kuro's! I'd still like to get my hands on one some day, but that's more and more unlikely as sooner or later there won't be any good condition Kuro's left in the world that still operate.

Exactly. Their last plasma series was as near to perfect tvs as you can get. Even the cheap Panasonic TC-PS60  was/is amazing. The 55 inch was priced at 700 dollars.

hope to find the VT model used in good shape at some point. It was out of my pricerange from new

Also don't forget HDMi 2.0 is only just out and without it you can't game on any 4k tv at 60fps...

Gaming Rig:CPU: Xeon E3-1230 v2¦RAM: 16GB DDR3 Balistix 1600Mhz¦MB: MSI Z77A-G43¦HDD: 480GB SSD, 3.5TB HDDs¦GPU: AMD Radeon VII¦PSU: FSP 700W¦Case: Carbide 300R

Also don't forget HDMi 2.0 is only just out and without it you can't game on any 4k tv at 60fps...

Good point, but for the average person, that won't be an issue because:

1. While there are some console games that run at 60 FPS, I think it's safe to say that most AAA console games run at 30 FPS.

2. Most people won't be hooking these up to a PC.

3. Most content is in either 24p or 30p.

4. Also some 4K TV's get around that by using DisplayPort

So yeah, early adopters always have to sacrifice refined technology for the chance to be the first to own.  Obviously 60 Hz input is desirable, and I think Q4 2014 we'll see a ton more 4K TV's with HDMI 2.0 and/or DP just in time for Christmas shopping season. Hopefully anyway - not that I'll be buying a 4K TV anytime in the near future.

HDMI 2.0 is now the norm for the current UltraHD models of major brands. I wonder how soon the material would come though (outside of Netflix).

I was actually looking at 4K TVs recently I currently have a 32" Samsung FHD TV that's about 5-6years old and was looking at the 48" Samsung U8500. I was wondering a few things like is there still hardware limitations in these newer models? For example is there something in these TVs that will make them almost obsolete by later 4K models within 2years?

With HDMI 2.0 does this mean that this TV is capable of 4K 60Hz? or is there still limitations in the panel?

Is it worth waiting 1-2years for OLED and how much more expensive do you expect OLED TVs to be in comparison to LED/LCD? I know this last question is one that is fairly hard to answer but there are a few OLED models out at the moment for points of reference.

Thanks

I was actually looking at 4K TVs recently I currently have a 32" Samsung FHD TV that's about 5-6years old and was looking at the 48" Samsung U8500. I was wondering a few things like is there still hardware limitations in these newer models? For example is there something in these TVs that will make them almost obsolete by later 4K models within 2years?

With HDMI 2.0 does this mean that this TV is capable of 4K 60Hz? or is there still limitations in the panel?

Is it worth waiting 1-2years for OLED and how much more expensive do you expect OLED TVs to be in comparison to LED/LCD? I know this last question is one that is fairly hard to answer but there are a few OLED models out at the moment for points of reference.

Thanks

Short answer is yes: There likely will be features added over the next 3-5 years that will make a current UHD TV considered "obsolete". With that in mind, it won't make your UHD TV suddenly stop working or something.

As for HDMI 2.0. Yes, in theory, this solves most of the issues. It has the necessary bandwidth for 60hz at 4K. HOPEFULLY that means the manufacturers will use a 60Hz panel and enable that refresh rate. I definitely recommend checking the specs though before buying just to make sure.

As far as OLED, while I know there are a very minor amount of OLED UHD TV's available at market, I believe they're still quite expensive. Waiting 1-2 years will not drop that price by much, but in my personal opinion, OLED is way better than LCD is (including LED LCD). But there's no way to predict the price 2 years from now. Basically I would say, look at what is available, and see if you can afford OLED UHD now. If you can't, then you probably still won't be able to in 2 years. I'd say 3-5 years is a guess before OLED UHD becomes affordable to the average person.

Short answer is yes: There likely will be features added over the next 3-5 years that will make a current UHD TV considered "obsolete". With that in mind, it won't make your UHD TV suddenly stop working or something.

As for HDMI 2.0. Yes, in theory, this solves most of the issues. It has the necessary bandwidth for 60hz at 4K. HOPEFULLY that means the manufacturers will use a 60Hz panel and enable that refresh rate. I definitely recommend checking the specs though before buying just to make sure.

As far as OLED, while I know there are a very minor amount of OLED UHD TV's available at market, I believe they're still quite expensive. Waiting 1-2 years will not drop that price by much, but in my personal opinion, OLED is way better than LCD is (including LED LCD). But there's no way to predict the price 2 years from now. Basically I would say, look at what is available, and see if you can afford OLED UHD now. If you can't, then you probably still won't be able to in 2 years. I'd say 3-5 years is a guess before OLED UHD becomes affordable to the average person.

Thanks very much for the response! So if I couldn't wait 3-5years before upgrading do you think buying this year will make a big difference from buying within the next 2 years?

Honestly if the TV can play 4K native at 60Hz I'd be very very happy but I can't seem  to find the refresh rate listed on the model which makes me a little cautious 

Thanks very much for the response! So if I couldn't wait 3-5years before upgrading do you think buying this year will make a big difference from buying within the next 2 years?

Honestly if the TV can play 4K native at 60Hz I'd be very very happy but I can't seem to find the refresh rate listed on the model which makes me a little cautious

Look at supported resolutions and decoders. 60p capable 4k units normally support HEVC.

This thread is quite old, but I wouldn't recommend it right now, come back after a year or so.

The most common result of insufficient wattage is a paperweight that looks like a PC