June 20th 2014 - The WAN Show Document

LinusTech

Once again I'm relying on the community to save me from watching my own show... If you're watching the show and wouldn't mind filling in the timestamps in the below Google Doc... You're AMAZING!

https://docs.google.com/a/linusmediagroup.com/spreadsheets/d/1BVB46NW2hrHjTYGLUmLMxrfy-01b3-qmneQOpDVgREw/edit#gid=204492671

News Items Ubisoft allegedly imposing artificial limits on PC graphics

(Original links left at the bottom of the doc)

Source 1: neogaf.com (Mod info)

Source 2: kotaku.com (Statement)

Source 3: spong.com (Statement)

Source 4: softpedia.com (FC4) Incorrect (Misquote - I’ve listened to the podcast personally, and, in Hutchinson’s defense, at no point did he actually say this. - Forbes)

Source 4.1: forbes.com (FC4)

- Two modders “Kadzait24” and “The Worse” released mods to unlock original graphics effects.

Mod’s effects:

- Changes to the default fog values, enabled bokeh DOF for the main cameras, stuttering Improvements, E3 2012 Bloom, performance Improvements, Enabled Headlight Shadows, LoD Changes, reflection changes, added 3 new cameras to the game(closer, normal, further), rain changes (High quality rain drops, properly reacting to light, etc), lens flare, lighting changes, civilians density changes.

- More improvements coming as they are found

Comparison Pictures:

- Modded: 1 2 3 4 5 (Sourced from Forbes)

Ubisoft Response:

- The dev team is completely dedicated to getting the most out of each platform, so the notion that we would actively downgrade quality is contrary to everything we've set out to achieve. We test and optimize our games for each platform on which they're released, striving for the best possible quality. The PC version does indeed contain some old, unused render settings that were deactivated for a variety of reasons, including possible impacts on visual fidelity, stability, performance and overall gameplay quality. Modders are usually creative and passionate players, and while we appreciate their enthusiasm, the mod in question (which uses those old settings) subjectively enhances the game's visual fidelity in certain situations but also can have various negative impacts. Those could range from performance issues, to difficulty in reading the environment in order to appreciate the gameplay, to potentially making the game less enjoyable or even unstable.

Thanks for playing Watch Dogs and stay safe on the mean streets of Chicago.

-The Watch Dogs Team

Far Cry 4:

- Ubisoft Montreal’s creative director Alex Hutchinson has confirmed that PC is the lead development platform for Far Cry 4.

- What Hutchinson did say is that Ubisoft primarily develops on PC with the exception of the Assassin’s Creed franchise, which is developed using the console as its lead platform. The exact quote was ”But because we develop on PC, you’ve never really seen on console the ultra-high PC version before.”

- ”So even out of the box, even day one, we just stuck the code on the new consoles and we were able to dial it all the way up.So as a console player you’re already getting by far the best version we can ship.”

- Forbes says: “Far Cry 4 is confirmed to boast Nvidia’s GameWorks libraries on PC. And as stunning as next-gen console games are starting to look, high-end PC graphics hardware blows them out of the water even without extreme optimization.”

Kickstarter Drone Detection System

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: SinisterBagel

Source 2: kickstarter.com

- $500 (basic model)

- Patents filed to “safeguard technology”.

- Not intended to “counter” military drones.

- The Personal Drone Detection Systems are intended to counter small, personal drones with cameras and other sensors that are not being regulated.

- Uses triangulation to detect drones.

- When a drone is detected it sends a message through your tablet smartphone or PC.

- The Primary Command and Control Module can typically communicate with nodes up to 200 feet away. Each Detection Sensor Node can typically detect drones within 50 feet in all directions.  Frequency detection range is 1MHz - 6.8GHz.

- Linus - “This would go well with that video of the woman assaulting the guy over the drone on the beach.”

EA plans to change how it makes games

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: Rafy

Source 2: pcgamer.com

- Last year EA was voted the worst company in America.

- CEO Andrew Wilson said the new mandate at EA is to ensure its games are functional and fun at a much earlier stage in the process than it has in the past, to be more rigorous about ensuring quality control through the process and to be willing to delay a game's launch when it's necessary. We have now said there is no alternative. If the build is not playable, you have to push the schedule until it's playable again. You can't eat up that time.

- “Earlier betas, like the one for Battlefield Hardline that went live this month, are also a big part of EA's new way of doing things.” -Wilson

- “This Hollywood blockbuster mentality of, 'Keep all of the information to yourself' is not something that makes sense in today's world We can't keep a secret anyway, so we may as well just start talking about it." - Wilson

T-Mobile Test Drive

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: Ryou-kun

Source 2: reuters.com

- T-Mobile US said on Wednesday it's offering at least a million cellphone users the chance to use an Apple iPhone (5s) in a free one-week trial with unlimited access.

- In cooperation Apple customers can sign up online, receive a free iPhone 5s in two days and pay no charges unless the phone is broken or not returned at a retail store one week later.

- "We believe every Verizon, and every AT&T customer should cheat on their carrier and enjoy every minute of it," said T-Mobile CEO John Legere.

- The carrier's "seven-night stand" campaign asks consumers to allow the company to "woo you with our powerful data strong network" for the week.

- The company also said on Wednesday that music streaming from eight major music providers, including Pandora and Spotify, will no longer count against the data allowance included in consumers' subscriptions.

- T-Mobile customers use 69 percent more data than Verizon, and 100 percent more data than AT&T, according to the company.

GTX 880ti Price/RAM

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: SpeedRookie

Source 2: tomshardware.com

- Rumour stems from a forum post. (-> so from anyone.)

- Rumour is that the new Nvidia GTX 880 and the GTX 880 Ti (which is TBC), will be cheaper than their GTX 780 and GTX 780 Ti predecessors.

- The most realistic thing to believe is that the cards will be cheaper to manufacture, but to expect this to translate to lower retail prices is a bit of a pipe dream. - Tom’s hardware

- There are also rumours from Zauba.com that the GM204 GPU that will carry 8 GB of GDDR5 memory running over a 256-bit memory interface.

- Release of Maxwell expected end of 2014 - start of 2015

New forum landing page

Source 1: linustechtips.com

- Vertical monitors poll

- (none)

Origin Game Time

Source 1: origin.com

- The full game playable for free for as long as there’s time on your Game Time clock.

- This weekend you’ll be able to download Titanfall and play for free for two days straight.

- Origin Game Time games will appear on Origin’s Free Games page when they’re available to download.

- The Origin Game Time clock begins the moment you start the game for the first time, and ticks down in real time. Whether you’re fighting your friends or taking a break, the Game Time clock will continue to run.

- Similar to free game weekends on steam?

STEAM SALE

OLD HDD TEST

DEVILS CANYON

Rapid Fire Super Mario Bros. Glitch

Source 1: kotaku.com

GIF in Source 1

- Appears after having beaten the game once already—grants players infinite lives by spawning SMB's magic beanstalk somewhere it's not supposed to be.

- Grants infinite lives.

VR fan

Source 1: nerdburglars.net

Source 2: kickstarter.com

- Kickstarter campaign.

- Costs $50 + $30 for out of US shipping.

- Plugs into the wall and a USB port.

- Has “thrust vectoring” -> fins like you get in car fans.

- $5700 of $15000 pledged.

- 95 backers.

Cheaper iMac

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: Ate

Source 2: store.apple.com

- $1100

- 21.5” screen

- 1.4GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 (4th gen), Turbo Boost up to 2.7GHz

- 8GB of memory

- 500GB “fusion” hard drive (- possibly a hybrid drive?)

- Intel HD Graphics 5000

...Somebody trolled and just removed all the time stamps...

I should be studying.

Holy crap @mds4075, you're amazing. Half the time I miss the WAN show and it's cause of guys like you that help make stuff better.

Also a note to @LinusTech, probably don't give everyone a public document. Everyone stuffs it over, maybe people should just paste links like mds so noone griefs everything.

"The best solution to a problem is usually the easiest one" - GLaDOS 2011

Specs here if needed: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/HVf6f7

Thanks, bai!

The doc is just about completed. http://bit.ly/WANtoc20June2014

We have pasted it into the document Linus put out. The sheet is called Final.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1l0-sqGRr_MW5_qyiz11KicKZFRZbvSl1-k9aE3h-tzA/edit?usp=sharing

Mines not as good as yours but i have more details just in case.

I realized you guys were working on one too halfway trough mine.  :lol: i got sick of the trolled one.  :wacko:

Still no 1080?!? Dang it... :(

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Linus, you added the wrong time code sheet to the video description...

Linus, the time table in the description is wrong, it is the one from last week wan show, fix it. 

-Desktop: Asrock H81M-HDS R2.0, Pentium G3258 4.2 ghz OC, Palit GTX 750 ti StormX, Kingston HyperX Fury 1600 4gb, Seagate Baracuda
-Laptop: MSI GE620DX, i72670QM 2.2 Ghz, 8GB 1333mhz Ram, GT555M 2GB DDR3.
-Gaming peripherals: Razer Deathadder 2013, Superlux HD 681 Evo Razer Goliathus Control Medium sizeCm Storm Quickfire TK white edition.

wow. ubisoft have gone full retard 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

i havent watched it yet , but ... Kudos..

Details separate people.

1:03:55 Mention of devilzzz ...LMAO :lol:  

Wishing my son a HaPpY BiRtHdAy and physX talk with me mentioned made for an awesome show for my family. :)

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

About Linus edition fan. I would buy 1 fan just to have in the box has a collectors item but I hope it says on the fan and box Linus edition. 

CPU: 3770K | Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Formula | GPU: GTX 1080Ti SLI | Ram: 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 | PSU: Corsair AX1200i | Storage: 2x Samsung 840 pros | Case: Corsair 650D | Cooler:  Corsair H100i with Noctus NF-F12 fans | Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG278Q

Your new Homepage looks awesome! If I may I leave a suggestion - it would be great if the Messenger and Notifications buttons would also be on the new frontpage. Even without this will be great - this could become my main source for news about Tech and Videogames! Really excited about it!

CPU: AMD R5 5600x | Mainboard: MSI MAG B550m Mortar Wifi | RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 Rev E | GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Armor | Case: Xigmatek Aquila | PSU: Corsair RM650i | SSDs: Crucial BX300 120GB | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB | Crucial m500 120GB | HDDs: 2x Seagate Barracuda 4TB | CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 | Casefans: Bitfenix Spectre LED red 200mm (Intake), Bequiet Pure Wings 2 140mm (Exhaust) | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

about the VR fan idea. imagine a few surrounding you and it would denote which direction is blowing for things like golf games where the ball is at the mercy of the wind. or for a sniper who needs to take wind into account for the physics on the bullet. the fans are a good idea

corsair 600t, msi z87-g45, intel 4770k, 16g patriot viper low-pro ram, asus direct cu2 780, crucial 256gig ssd, seagate baracuda 1tb,

In the "Intel "Ask the expert" Sponsor Spot" Linus talked about how a person he knows was talking about all the things Intel considered for bringing a CPU to market. He says he'll post the link but I think he only did so in Twitch chat. Anybody have the link?

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

Hey guys,

Is there a compressed .mp3 version of the show, so i can listen it on my smartphone or without using the internet??

I know i could download it from youtube but 700+mb, well...

It's hard to keep tuned if you work all day and study at night. Sure it will help a lot.

Thanks, and keep this excellent work!  :D

(sorry for bad english, not my native language)

• 1 month later...

At 32:14, I didn't quite understand what Linus was trying to say. Did he mean the GTX 680 was a win for us or it was a rip off?

Any help from anybody would be much appreciated.

Anyone???