DSLR Camera Brands?

Hilo,

If I am buying a DSLR camera, what is generally the best brand? Or are they all about even? Looking on the cheaper side of things, like low-mid range

Thanks

Yo whats up.

Canon or Nikon 

My Stuff! :D

My Stuff
  • Main Build - Soon to change due to it being dead
  • 4790k @ 4.7Ghz
  • Corsair 750D
  • Swiftech H320
  • MSI Z97s SLI
  • 7950 Vapor-X
  • 16GB Corsair Vengance  Blue LP 1600Mhz 
  • 120GB Samsung 840
  • 2TB Seagate Barracuda
  • Corsair HX750
  •  
  • ​Peripherals
  • Logitech G700s
  • Bitfenix, Corsair, and Darkside cable extensions
  • Das Professional with Cherry MX Brown's & Custom Keycaps
  • 3x ASUS VS238H-P w/ Triple monitor mount in PLP
  • AudioTechnica ATH-M50's 
  • Blue Yeti Microphone
  • TurtleBeach PX3 Wireless
  • Logitech C920 Webcam 
  • Precision Audio Bookshelf Speakers 
  • AudioSource AMP-100
  • Logitech G27 Racing setup
  •  
  • Laptop - Acer 7750G-9855
  • i7 2630QM
  • AMD 6650M GPU
  • 120GB Samsung 840 EVO
  • 8GB RAM
  • Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 
  • Blu-ray Drive
  •  
  • Netbook - HP Pavillion DM1
  • AMD E-450 APU
  • 4GB RAM
  • 500gb HDD
  • Cell Phone - OnePlus One 
  • 5.5-inch 1080p Screen
  • Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 processor @2.5Ghz
  • 13 Megapixel rear camera
  • 5 megapixel wide angle front facing camera
  • 3100 mAh non-removal battery
  • AC wifi
  • Cell Phone #2 - Nexus 5
  • 5 Inch 1080p Screen
  • Snapdragon 800
  • 8 megapixel rear camera
  • 1.3 megapixel front camera
  • 2300 mAh non-removable battery
  • AC wifi
  • Upgrades for 2014
  • GTX 970
  • i7 4690k
  • 16gb RAM 
  • 1x 1440 or 1600p Monitor 
  • Das Mechanical Keyboard

They're all the same when it comes to features and usability. No one brand is better than the other, thats usually just blind fanboy talk. 

Even with lenses, with all the adapters out there its never an issue. 

I have roughly 10 grand in Canon glass, so I won't be switching anytime soon. I need some compelling reason to switch to Nikon or Panasonic or Fuji or Samsung or anyone using different lenses and mounts. 

Lenses matter a whole lot more than the body they are attached to. 

I don't know about the best brand, but both my Canon 450D and T5i have been amazing. The 450D has been through years of abuse and it still works great. 

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

They are all good. just look at what the lenses cost. do you want to make videos or mainly pictures. Like you said: pretty much every new dslr gives you the same quality pictures. it's just a queston of how much efford you want to put into that picture. then there are features like autofocus and burstrates. i bought a sony alpha 65 so i could get 50 fps in video and with awesome autofocus. 
How much do you want to spend?

wow... pretty empty here...

Canon and Nikon are the most popular DSLR brands. If you're looking for entry level gear grab either a D3200 or a 1200D. Remember that bodies get outdated quickly unlike lenses which can serve you for many decades.

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

and get a AF-S 50mm f/1.8G, it's afford, last long time and great lens. Its really up to you.

They're all the same when it comes to features and usability. No one brand is better than the other, thats usually just blind fanboy talk. 

Even with lenses, with all the adapters out there its never an issue. 

I have roughly 10 grand in Canon glass, so I won't be switching anytime soon. I need some compelling reason to switch to Nikon or Panasonic or Fuji or Samsung or anyone using different lenses and mounts. 

Lenses matter a whole lot more than the body they are attached to. 

lemme see.

most popular around is Nikon or Canon, i prefer Nikon though. Just my personal preference.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

lemme see.

most popular around is Nikon or Canon, i prefer Nikon though. Just my personal preference.

CDqX2WYh.jpg

Just some. 24 1.4 and a older 70-200 f/2.8 non-IS are the other noteworthy ones not pictured. 

Is that a 70-200 f/2.8 IS II? I wouldn't mind being the owner of that 50mm f/1.2. Personally I by far prefer Canon, but mainly because of their excellent range of glass that's very easy to navigate compared to Nikon's offerings. 5D Mark II's are great value for money these days as well. Nikon has produced some proper good cameras as well though.

Is that a 70-200 f/2.8 IS II? I wouldn't mind being the owner of that 50mm f/1.2. Personally I by far prefer Canon, but mainly because of their excellent range of glass that's very easy to navigate compared to Nikon's offerings. 5D Mark II's are great value for money these days as well. Nikon has produced some proper good cameras as well though.

Yup, its a beefy (not so little) lens. I'm glad it has a tripod collar. At this weight of lens, hand held is just asking for sore wrists. 

The 1.2 is a right PITA to AF, so I really MF a lot with it. That and the AF motor is from prehistoric times and is slow as balls. 

Yup, its a beefy (not so little) lens. I'm glad it has a tripod collar. At this weight of lens, hand held is just asking for sore wrists. 

The 1.2 is a right PITA to AF, so I really MF a lot with it. That and the AF motor is from prehistoric times and is slow as balls. 

I had the pleasure of handling an IS II last time I was out for a shoot, it sure as hell is a heavy piece of equipment, it produces great results though. As you said the 1.2 isn't exactly practical either but looking away from that fact it's an amazing piece of glass. It's like a black hole of light.

For photos: Nikon >>>>> Canon >>>>>>>>>Sony >>/>>other

For video: Canon > other

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Hilo,

If I am buying a DSLR camera, what is generally the best brand? Or are they all about even? Looking on the cheaper side of things, like low-mid range

Thanks

If you're interested in getting into photography I would look into getting a Pentax K-50. You get a lot of high end features in an entry-mid level camera. You can get a nice overview at http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/pentax-k50/pentax-k50A.HTM

Also check out the reviews for the Canon and Nikon entry level cameras on http://www.imaging-resource.com/ . I've found them to be one of the most knowledgeable and least bias sources for reviews. And don't get suckered into thinking there are only two camera companies. Sony, Pentax, Panasonic, Fujifilm, Olypmus, etc have excellent cameras in their ranges. Keep an open mind going in  :)

For photos: Nikon >>>>> Canon >>>>>>>>>Sony >>/>>other

For video: Canon > other

THIS RIGHT HERE! THIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIS!

video is leaning more towards canon, and pictures to nikon.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

When it comes down to it there are three companies which are seen as the major brands: Canon, Nikon and Sony. These each have a decent range of cameras/ lens/ extras. The other brands generally fall off a little bit when it comes to certain types of lenses and compatibility with certain products.

I have always been a Canon man, but that is because my first camera was a Canon and I could not be bothered to jump ship for a few extra pixels. There used to be a larger difference between their cameras a few years ago when the 5D MK II first came out, but now a days there is a lot less in it. The market share of the three major brands are all fairly similar.

Canon is better for video, as they have higher bitrates. I am a Canon user and I'm being unbiased (it's hard, yo.) in saying that Nikon is slightly better than Canon, but the difference can be negligible sometimes.

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

Nikon, Canon, and Sony are the big ones (not so much sony). 

Between Canon and Nikon, Canon has better video. They have (up to) twice the bitrate of a Nikon camera in the same price range.

Nikon camera tend to have more Megapixels, but Megapixels obviously isn't all that matters in a camera.

I am not 100% sure, but I do believe that Nikon does better in low light.

Nikon and Canon are really well known.

The big difference is,obviously, the lenses,but also that Canon is used more in video production.

Other brands are : Sony,Pentax,Olympus,Leica,heck,there's even Sigma!

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Nikon and Canon are really well known.

The big difference is,obviously, the lenses,but also that Canon is used more in video production.

Other brands are : Sony,Pentax,Olympus,Leica,heck,there's even Sigma!

If you're buying a Sigma camera then you seriously need to reevaluate some life choices...Sigma/Tamron make some good glass, but terrible (*linus voice*) cameras. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

If you're buying a Sigma camera then you seriously need to reevaluate some life choices...Sigma/Tamron make some good glass, but terrible (*linus voice*) cameras. 

Exactly why I said "heck,even Sigma!"

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Sigma for a body? Eh...

Sigma for glass? They've really stepped up their game lately. The 35mm was a beauty to use and this 18-35 seriously craps on Canon's 16-35 in so many ways.

They aren't playing around these days with their glass

the best brand depends on your usage and wishes quite alot.

above me there where already a few reasons given, but a friend of me recently learned a few interesting facts about canon and nikon.

canon:

lower shutterspeeds, wich incrases the effectivesness on pictures with movement, as in example sports or animals.

(lowest shutter speed is 1/4000 sec on 600D according to canon.)

nikon:

has better sharpness for portrait and scenery pictures, for things like school pictures or architecture.

i wouldn't be able to say anything about other brands, but they probarlly hace their own ups and downs.

so the brand that is the best is more baised on what you are willing to do with it, but for alround everything might perform the same.

since you also need to purchase lenses for DSLR's i would go for a canon or nikon DSLR, since they got a wider range of avilability(atleast in the netherlands)

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

canon:

lower shutterspeeds, wich incrases the effectivesness on pictures with movement, as in example sports or animals.

(lowest shutter speed is 1/4000 sec on 600D according to canon.)

nikon:

has better sharpness for portrait and scenery pictures, for things like school pictures or architecture.

1/4000 isn't uncommon, hell, my D7000 can go to 1/8000--although, you very rarely ever need to go that fast. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

1/4000 isn't uncommon, hell, my D7000 can go to 1/8000--although, you very rarely ever need to go that fast. 

that is high!(or low...)

but all i have to do it with is the info form my friend and what i could find myself, since my own DSLR kinda erghmm... broke...

May the light have your back and your ISO low.