NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Review

flibberdipper

Since quite a few of you wanted me to do a review on this, it was the first one that I did this week at my grandma's.

2mnnrfc.jpg

INTRO

I finally got my NZXT Sentry Mix 2, and I’m very happy with it. It looks nice, the LEDs come in colors people will actually like including one feature I am rather fond of), and it controls my fan speeds. For $30 USD, I couldn’t really ask for more in a fan controller.

LOOKS

It looks simple and kinda clean. The lines give the face a nicer look, the sliders look appealing (although they are glossy, but it isn’t that bad), the switch that controls the LEDs is hidden rather well, and for some stupid reason I like the font used on the LEDs on the front that tell you which fan you are controlling. The PCB is white (probably would go well with an all-white build, even though you will never see the white part of the PCB), and the wires are black and kind of like the ones that come with the Corsair power supplies now. The text on the fan headers isn’t that annoying, and you probably will not notice it, or you won’t notice it that much.

FUNCTIONALITY/CONNECTIVITY

In order to use this to its full potential, you will need to plug in two molex power connectors. You can use two SATA to molex power adapters, if you don’t have molex power connectors on your power supply. There are 6 fan headers, each of which is individually controlled (obviously). Each channel can be delivered up to 5 watts of power, which I’m okay with since I’ll only be using 4 fans. You can adjust the fans between 100% power and 40% power. I would have liked to see it go down a little bit lower (30% or 25%), since my fans can go pretty low. However, they aren’t that noisy, so this is just a minor complaint. One of the great features that the controller has is that regardless of where you have the fans set, the controller will deliver 100% power to each channel to make sure your fans will actually start up. It also remembers which color you had it set to (obviously, it would be kind of foolish of NZXT not to include that feature).

THE LEDs

There are five colors for the LEDs: White, blue, red, green, and orange. You can also turn the LEDs on and off, which is a great feature. The colors are great on them, and the red, green, and blue are overall the best. The blue seems to be the brightest, but the green is the coolest (I might be a little bit biased there). The white is probably the darkest of the bunch though. And I do have one complaint about them (and it is a rather small one). You can't dim the LEDs. That kinda stinks, since I want to see them at night, but I don't want them to be off (they can be distracting when you're gaming late at night). I included a video showing you the colors and that it has the ability to turn the LEDs on and off. Just be warned that my camera sucks and that the colors are a ton better in real life.

SHOULD YOU GET IT?

If you want a basic fan controller (or even just a fan controller in general) this is a great buy. I was able to get mine for $30 off of NZXT’s website, and even though this is not the fanciest, nicest, or coolest fan controller on the market, for the price I don’t think that you can go wrong. It has some of the most common colors for builds, including an option to turn the LEDs off entirely, it can deliver a decent amount of power to each one of the channels, and it’s just generally a great buy for the price. Unless you have a custom watercooling loop or a lot of power-hungry fans that need 5 watts or more, this is a perfect fan controller for most people.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Here you go, @Epitome @The_Strict_Nein @CatCloud @Askew @Prokart2000, since you guys wanted to see it, it was my top priority to get it done while I was at my grandma's. :)

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Nice review as always man, when you get your canyon pentium tray and get an ASUS Z-97 platforum so you can review/compare Fan Xpert 3 to this controller, I hear the ASUS integrated controller is supposed to be as good as a fan controller.

Nice review as always man, when you get your canyon pentium tray and get an ASUS Z-97 platforum so you can review/compare Fan Xpert 3 to this controller, I hear the ASUS integrated controller is supposed to be as good as a fan controller.

If you want to get a 20th Anniversary Pentium and a Maximus VII Hero for me, be my guest. ;) If I had money I would just break down and get them.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

If you want to get a 20th Anniversary Pentium and a Maximus VII Hero for me, be my guest. ;) If I had money I would just break down and get them.

Sorry man I'm not rich, my system is i5 based and I run a 670 so although I've got a better PC than you (not trying to brag just saying) it isn't anywhere near what some people have got on this forum and as much as I'd like a 780ti I can't have one. :(

If I win the lotto I'll have newegg deliver you a giant fucking hamper of parts to review, no questions.

It is awesome. I have the really outdated Thermal radar on my P67 Sabertooth but it still works great, and I love how you can set the fan curve and not worry about it ever again :)

Fan Xpert is basically the same, except you can control more fans and more accurately :D I can't wait for a motherboard upgrade, but I really want to get the white Sabranco when asus releases it.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Sorry man I'm not rich, my system is i5 based and I run a 670 so although I've got a better PC than you (not trying to brag just saying) it isn't anywhere near what some people have got on this forum and as much as I'd like a 780ti I can't have one. :(

If I win the lotto I'll have newegg deliver you a giant fucking hamper of parts to review, no questions.

I know. ;) Just make sure the hamper has a lot of bubble wrap and other protective goodies.

It is awesome. I have the really outdated Thermal radar on my P67 Sabertooth but it still works great, and I love how you can set the fan curve and not worry about it ever again :)

Fan Xpert is basically the same, except you can control more fans and more accurately :D I can't wait for a motherboard upgrade, but I really want to get the white Sabranco when asus releases it.

Just get 4 of these, find a way to manage the wires/get enough molex connectors, and you're good. :) Then you can change the fans depending on what you feel like.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Just get 4 of these, find a way to manage the wires/get enough molex connectors, and you're good. :) Then you can change the fans depending on what you feel like.

So if you feel happy you turn the fans up, and if you're sad you turn them down?

I prefer to have them change depending on the temperature of my components, tbh...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

So if you feel happy you turn the fans up, and if you're sad you turn them down?

I prefer to have them change depending on the temperature of my components, tbh...

haha I just change them depending on what I'm doing. Up if I'm gaming or something, down if I'm doing light image work or word processing.

So limited with Windows 98. :(

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

haha I just change them depending on what I'm doing. Up if I'm gaming or something, down if I'm doing light image work or word processing.

So limited with Windows 98. :(

Oh i see...

What, are you waiting for windows 455 to upgrade or something...?

Spoiler

Oh i see...

What, are you waiting for windows 455 to upgrade or something...?

No, just have to run Windows 98 on good 'ol HELIOS. Speaking of which, I feel that there is an update coming soon... ;)

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

I know what you mean about that Sabranco. It's going to be a limited edition run, so I'll probably have to pay through the nose for one, but I want it so bad

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

I know what you mean about that Sabranco. It's going to be a limited edition run, so I'll probably have to pay through the nose for one, but I want it so bad

No way. They can't make that limited edition. There will be thousands of people who will want to buy it...

It will probably cost the same or a little more as the sabertooth, because its basically just the same thing, just white.

Spoiler

thanks @tmcclelland455 nice ltt music lol

My Setup :P

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

No way. They can't make that limited edition. There will be thousands of people who will want to buy it...

It will probably cost the same or a little more as the sabertooth, because its basically just the same thing, just white.

http://rog.asus.com/327972014/asus-tuf-motherboards/tuf-goes-white-meet-the-sabranco/

TUF intends to launch the Sabranco as a limited edition in the coming months.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

Spoiler

thanks @tmcclelland455 nice ltt music lol

No problem. :)

Nice review, although i am a bit sad that there is no yellow led option. 

Would have made more sense, and the ability to dim the damn LEDs. :(

Ooooooooo that sucks.

Will need to buy asap then

They need to make it a full time thing.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

• 3 months later...

Nice review, but what about the packing? I love me some closed cell foam.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Appreciate the review.  Well done.  I want to pick up one of these for myself now. full speed corsair SP140s are loudish.

the BEST part of this controller is that NZXT had the foresight to have the controller REMEMBER your color choice - so that you don't have to add an annoying routine of changing the color every time you turn on the computer

the BEST part of this controller is that NZXT had the foresight to have the controller REMEMBER your color choice - so that you don't have to add an annoying routine of changing the color every time you turn on the computer

Tell me about it. Still miss the ability to dim the lights, but at this price I can deal with it.

No need fan controllers with ASUS ROG boards! #ASUSrog master race

Tho the controller does look nice.

With luck my Gigabyte boards won't suck.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Controller looks nice but sadly its unnecessary for my current build.

'Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'