Power Supply will it be enough?

Luc401
Go to solution Solved by Guest,

That's an interesting question tbh...... The R9 270 (this is an r9, not a gtx 270, right?) needs <150W on its own, so you should be fine in regards to the total wattage. The +12V rail on that PSU can provide 18A, which should be enough for the GPU as well. I couldn't find any reliable numbers on the CPU though, so you would definitely have to check that. You might be cutting it close here, but I'd say that it will work. That said, I would NEVER use this kind of PSU for that system, I doubt that it's very reliable (and you will be pushing it with this system) and you might be putting your components at risk if it doesn't have the right safety features. Not worth it in the long run, but it would probably work.

I have a old dell pc with a "350watt" power supply and i have a 270 that is currently collecting dust.

The dell pc is running a Intel 870 CPU and currently has a GT220 in it.This pulls 200W under 100% load

Can i throw a 270 in there and it should work?I used a calculator online to calculate the power usage of the pc with the 270 and it said i needed a PSU 321-371W.

Power supply picture : tCa0i3w.jpg

|Casual Rig| CPU: i5-6600k |MoBo: ROG Gene  |GPU: Asus 670 Direct CU2 |RAM: RipJaws 2400MHz 2x8GB DDR4 |Heatsink: H100i |Boot Drive: Samsung Evo SSD 240GB|Chassis:BitFenix Prodigy |Peripherals| Keyboard:DasKeyboard, Cherry MX Blue Switches,|Mouse: Corsair M40

|Server Specs| CPU: i7-3770k [OC'd @ 4.1GHz] |MoBo: Sabertooth Z77 |RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 2x8GB |Boot Drive: Samsung 840 SSD 128GB|Storage Drive: 4 WD 3TB Red Drives Raid 5 |Chassis:Corsair 600t 

That's an interesting question tbh...... The R9 270 (this is an r9, not a gtx 270, right?) needs <150W on its own, so you should be fine in regards to the total wattage. The +12V rail on that PSU can provide 18A, which should be enough for the GPU as well. I couldn't find any reliable numbers on the CPU though, so you would definitely have to check that. You might be cutting it close here, but I'd say that it will work. That said, I would NEVER use this kind of PSU for that system, I doubt that it's very reliable (and you will be pushing it with this system) and you might be putting your components at risk if it doesn't have the right safety features. Not worth it in the long run, but it would probably work.

Thanks , im using it for 2 days for a friend at a lan.Im going to try to downvolt  the GPU just to be safe and disconect the CD reader 

Thanks man

|Casual Rig| CPU: i5-6600k |MoBo: ROG Gene  |GPU: Asus 670 Direct CU2 |RAM: RipJaws 2400MHz 2x8GB DDR4 |Heatsink: H100i |Boot Drive: Samsung Evo SSD 240GB|Chassis:BitFenix Prodigy |Peripherals| Keyboard:DasKeyboard, Cherry MX Blue Switches,|Mouse: Corsair M40

|Server Specs| CPU: i7-3770k [OC'd @ 4.1GHz] |MoBo: Sabertooth Z77 |RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 2x8GB |Boot Drive: Samsung 840 SSD 128GB|Storage Drive: 4 WD 3TB Red Drives Raid 5 |Chassis:Corsair 600t 

It may be enough, but you'd be pushing the edge. The 270x is rated for 24amps so the 270 is prob slightly less. If you do get it to run, I would recommend underclocking/undervolting it.

Motherboard: MSI 770-C45 2606Mhz HT 200Mhz Bclk | CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE 3606Mhz | GPU: ASUS R9 270 DCU2 2GB 1125MHz Core 1500Mhz vRAM

RAM: HyperX Black PC3-12800 1600MHz 9-9-9-20 | Storage: HyperX 3K 120GB SSD SATA II + 570GB| PSU: EVGA 500B 500W              

F@H Stats: 7,077,384pts x 576wu (08/14/2015)                                                                                                    green=stock setting     red=above spec     blue=below spec

System Name: Rocinante = "workhorse"                                                                                                                                           

Thanks , im using it for 2 days for a friend at a lan.Im going to try to downvolt  the GPU just to be safe and disconect the CD reader 

Thanks man

That seems reasonable and should probably work out. It's your risk to take in the end.

It may be enough, but you'd be pushing the edge. The 270x is rated for 24amps so the 270 is prob slightly less. If you do get it to run, I would recommend underclocking/undervolting it.

It's a 270 apparently, and that draws <150W at full load (which is ~12,5A on the +12V rail). Manufacturers tend to overestimate a lot so they have their asses covered when something blows up on a cheap PSU, also the rated Amps on the PSU factor in a whole system. As I said, he is definitely pushing it and it's not the best idea, but it should work out.

That seems reasonable and should probably work out.

It's a 270 apparently, and that draws <150W at full load (which is ~12,5A on the +12V rail). Manufacturers tend to overestimate a lot so they have their asses covered when something blows up on a cheap PSU. As I said, he is definitely pushing it and it's not the best idea, but it should work out.

One more question , this card uses a 6 pin connector.My main rig has plenty of power to share can i just ghetto a 6 pin to another rig?

One more question , this card uses a 6 pin connector.My main rig has plenty of power to share can i just ghetto a 6 pin to another rig?

If I remember correctly there were people who had seperate PSUs just for their graphics cards back in the day, so this could potentially work. You would definitely have to turn on your main rig first though. I'm guessing it's SLI/CF ready and you have 2 seperate 2x (6+2) pin cables, right? So you would use the second GPU cable to power the 270 in the second rig? That sounds pretty wild, but it would definitely strain the dell-PSU less. Maybe read up on tandem PSUs and seperate PSUs for graphics cards and then decide whether you actually want to try it. Oh, and please post in here if it actually works, I'd be very interested tbh.