The future of VR - Is this possible?

Hey there LTT-forums,

first off, let me apolegize, if I put this into the wrong forum section, I don't know where else I can put it.

And I am not an employee of anyone I will talk about, so I am NOT here to sell you something, I just wanna talk about an idea.

Okay, so I watched the ControlVR video and it looked AWESOME!

But then something struck me: Can't we make without hands, just a full fledged helmet, lets say, like the nervegear in SAO (Sword Art Online)? (pic below)

c20121011_sao_anime_44_cs1w1_720x.jpg

You might think: "Would be cool, but how?"

This is where it gets fun, because for that actually to achieve you would have to measure brainwaves. Can we do this? We actually can!

There are a couple so called "Neuroheadset" brands out there, Emotiv is one of them and they can not only measure your brainwaves,

you can also train the computer stuff, like pulling an object.

emotiv_epoc_neuroheadset.jpg

I've had this idea grumbling in my head since Oculus started back in the days on Kickstarter and I watched their video, I watched some "review" videos when Oculus showed off their VR expierence to the public.

These neuroheadsets aren't new, they exist for a couple of years now, I think the first time I heared of them was in 2011 in a video from Athene.

Back then, it wasn't as good as it is nowadays.

So, Oculus VR "Headset", well, just the screens in front of your eyes, combined with a Neuroheadset in one device...

HELL, I think we actually would be able to get SAO IRL.

IMO THAT would be the real deal!

What do you guys think?

If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

I really have no interest in anything to do with VR, reality is what i escape, not re-create.

Le Bastardo+ 

i7 4770k + OCUK Fathom HW labs Black Ice 240 rad + Mayhem's Gigachew orange + 16GB Avexir Core Orange 2133 + Gigachew GA-Z87X-OC + 2x Gigachew WF 780Ti SLi + SoundBlaster Z + 1TB Crucial M550 + 2TB Seagate Barracude 7200rpm + LG BDR/DVDR + Superflower Leadex 1KW Platinum + NZXT Switch 810 Gun Metal + Dell U2713H + Logitech G602 + Ducky DK-9008 Shine 3 MX Brown

Red Alert

FX 8320 AMD = Noctua NHU12P = 8GB Avexir Blitz 2000 = ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 = Sapphire Radeon R9 290 TRI-X = 1TB Hitachi Deskstar & 500GB Hitachi Deskstar = Samsung DVDR/CDR = SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W 80 Plus Gold = Xigmatek Utguard = AOC 22" LED 1920x1080 = Logitech G110 = SteelSeries Sensei RAW

What about VR Headset + Neuroheadset + Control VR

So you SEE your environment, your thoughts are interpreted AND so are your movements

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/06/08/oculus-rift-compatible-control-vr-gloves-put-the-whole-virtual/

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Well, the thing is, it would get pretty expensive getting ControlVR, OculusVR and the Neuroheadset.

I'll explain a bit how I think it is better for just OculusVR and the Neuroheadset:

You can train your PC in some way what you are thinking right now. For example, if you think of the letter A, your PC will start typing the letter A.

So, if you think of moving your hands, your PC moves hands (like in the E3 demo of ControlVR).

How awesome is that? You could literally put on the Neuroheadset + OculusVR (and ofc headpohones/headset for audio), lay down in your bed and freaking own at computergames.

Of course this could be used not only gaming, but that is not my field of expertise.

I really have no interest in anything to do with VR, reality is what i escape, not re-create.

and you avatar says how you do it......gulp gulp gulp :P

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

Come on people :P
I really wanna talk about it and wanna know if that might be possible in the near future

You can train your PC in some way what you are thinking right now. For example, if you think of the letter A, your PC will start typing the letter A.

So, if you think of moving your hands, your PC moves hands (like in the E3 demo of ControlVR).

How awesome is that? You could literally put on the Neuroheadset + OculusVR (and ofc headpohones/headset for audio), lay down in your bed and freaking own at computergames.

Of course this could be used not only gaming, but that is not my field of expertise.

The problem I see with that, is that its unnatural. 

With VR I want as close as possible to real life, ie ControlVR. It just does what I want.

Those neurothings (atleast that I have seen) all work by recognising a certain pattern and you recreate that pattern.

This is what I will think when I want to do fireball. It learns it and then does it. 

Just seems clunky and disconnected from real life.

If I want to type I don't actively think, "move finger to A" or if I'm gaming "move hand left and down". I just do it.

Doing a thought for each would be not only strange but also very hard for complex movements.

Also just the hassle of the crazy large amounts of movements even just 1 hand has, its a lot to learn.

In the future? Maybe, but I've yet to really see anything that is good enough in a industrial application never mind cheap enough to be considered consumer.

For now ControlVR dev kit is pretty damn cheap compared to what those sorts of things would normally cost, and they are aiming for lower. That seems like a better bet for now.

I personally am waiting to see how Oculus enter this area, as a decent input method is the next thing we need after a decent HMD.

CPU: 6700k GPU: Zotac RTX 2070 S RAM: 16GB 3200MHz  SSD: 2x1TB M.2  Case: DAN Case A4

Maybe not in the near future, but in maybe 10-20 years, technology would advance to the point where complex motions and actions can be interpreted from brain waves, as well as complete environments can be projected into the mind. So basically, SAO. 

Right now, mind-controlled devices use simpler actions, which are more easy to isolate. Brain waves of more complex actions (or multiple simultaneous actions) aren't as easy, as the wave patterns probably superpose, making it trickier to interpret/isolate. 

A less bulky SAO headset with wireless connectivity (hopefully Wifi signals improve dramatically by then too) would be ideal. 

If I want to type I don't actively think, "move finger to A" or if I'm gaming "move hand left and down". I just do it.

Your brain is actually doing this without you even realizing it. Whatever action you do, it usually happens like this:

I want to do x -> Brain reads necessary sensory inputs (touch/smell/sight/hearing) -> brain processes it, and selects the appropriate motions -> signals sent to muscles to execute the action.

All of this happens so fast, that it gives the illusion of "just doing it". The above steps occur by conscious thought or even subconscious thought. Muscle memory works by making an action more instinctive - a likely explanation for how that occurs could involve the above steps being processed at a subconscious level. 

Your brain is constantly active at both levels (conscious and subconscious). 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

that makes no sense...

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

Virtual reality and reality are two different things. Also, realistic doesn't mean it's identical to reality. 

VR doesn't have the same flaws that reality does. You can eliminate undesirable things in VR, like emotions, death, pain, etc. Controllable by stimulating different parts of the brain. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2