My experience with Five-Four Club

WolfStrong

Thought I'd give my experience and review with Five-Four, as honestly, it is a mixed bag for me. Signed up a little over a month ago (maybe 2?), and have got 2 packages in the mail. I have canceled my membership after I realized that their larger sizes just don't fit me well, which started my negative experience.

Ordering online was easy enough, as well as a smooth interface that allows you to select exactly what style and size you are. I filled this all out...and waited....and waited. It was a good solid few weeks before I got my order. When I got the first package in, the first thing I noticed was that the regular tshirts seemed...well..cheap. They just seemed abnormally thin, and maybe this was the intended design, but to me, this screams cheap. The next thing I noticed is that the XXL simply did not fit, and seemed more like a large or XL, so these things do run small. I can deal with a little thinner of a shirt if it is big enough, but thin and too small, not a good combo. The other thing that struck me was that even though I specified exactly what kind of style I like, their system seem to have sent me a mix of both, with more of what I said I did not like, rather than what I did.

At this point, I thought, 'no big deal; I paid some money, got clothes that I'm not happy with, so I'll just cancel and be done with it'. I go on the website, and that is when the first red flag pops up; there is no cancel button. Great, the only way to cancel your membership is to call in. Sure, you can sign up very easily by yourself online, but to cancel, no, you have to call in. Well due to work constraints, and their call centers limited hours, it takes me a few days to call. I call in and cancel, the guy on the phone was nice (even with 30 minute wait times....no joke), and I was happy that they seemed very friendly and didn't try extra hard to keep you as a customer. 

Well, a few weeks later I check my account when I get an email from them saying another shipment is on its way. Sure enough, a few days after I called in, a second charge showed up on my account to Five-Four. I get the package in, and without opening it, call in again for the second time (again...another LONG wait time).

I explain the situation to the rep, and basically, what they told me was that I had called in on the 13th, and my billing cycle was the 10th (the charge showed up on the 15th, 3 weeks after the first charge), and because of this, "The order was already placed and money sent out for it". I asked about returning the unopened items, and was straight up told that they do not offer refunds or returns. The only way that this makes sense to me is that Five-Four does not actually make any of this, rather has clothes very cheaply made in China or something that they place large orders for and just give their customers a split of whatever they happen to order; this would explain the non-accurate selection as well as the ability to do no returns/refunds, lower quality, and why they had to 'send out' the order with payment

So now I am out an extra $65 for clothes I won't wear, that I ended up just donating a few days later. It is a nice concept, but honestly, it is a bigger headache to me than just going to Wal-Mart for some low quality clothing for cheap. I simply can NOT recommend this service to anyone, and would warn anyone looking into it to just go and read some reviews for yourself, especially people's experience with canceling (which I wish i would have done before I signed up). Let my experience be a lesson.

I hope not everyone shares this experience, but it was mine.

EDIT:

Just thought I'd check Yelp...apparently I'm not the only one with this exact experience: http://www.yelp.com/biz/five-four-culver-city

Linus, I really hope you drop these guys quick as a sponsor. I was hoping my experience was just isolated, but it seems all too common.

Yep. I don't like the concept. I have no experience with it though.

"If violence does not work, try more violence"

thank you very much for the PSA. I can't order this anyways, but it's good to know and there is just no way that they would send me exactly what I want. I prefer going shopping anyways

It seems really sketchy overall that they say it's "$120" worth of clothing and none of it says a real brand that anybody knows on it...

It seems really sketchy overall that they say it's "$120" worth of clothing and none of it says a real brand that anybody knows on it...

Five Four is the brand, and the $120 worth is per their retail pricing. So they could price a normal T-shirt at $30 and send you four of them and keep their word.

For me, it seemed like too much of a hassle to let them know not to send goofy boat shoes or wayfarer knock-offs to drive up the margins on that $120. On top of that, I didn't really find any clothes that I liked. The idea is neat, but it isn't for everyone.

I think its a great concept, but I am very picky anyway so i wouldnt try it.

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s

CPU: Intel core i7-4770 --- CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 --- GPU: Asus Geforce GTX 970 Strix --- MB: Asus Maximus VI Hero --- RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB

Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D --- PSU: Corsair AX860i --- SSD: Seagate 120GB --- HDD: Seagate 2TB + Toshiba 1TB --- ODD: Asus External DVD-R

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2013 Ultimate --- Mouse: Logitech G602 --- Mousepad: Corsair Vengeance MM600 --- Monitor: LG 29UM65

It may be common but I'm hoping the sponsorship with Linus Media Group brings in enough customers for them to sort out any issues that currently have.

One can only hope. Unfortunately I've dealt with these kinds of companies quite a lot, and rarely do I ever see them get better if they are already on the 'bad' side. On a similar note, I've heard some good reviews about Dollar Shave Club, though it is a service I will never sign up for as I am a die-hard fan of my safety and straight razor with Mitchell's Wool Fat Shaving Soap, and you would have to pry them all out of my cold, dead hands. They do seem like a great company though from what I've read.

It would be nice if Linus actually got some of their stuff.  They probably have a special set that actually seems to be good quality that they send to people they sponsor.

If this is a reoccurring incident I don't think they should be welcome in our community.

Thanks for the PSA OP. Thankfully I somewhat enjoy shopping for clothes and am fairly picky with what I wear.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

• 4 months later...

One can only hope. Unfortunately I've dealt with these kinds of companies quite a lot, and rarely do I ever see them get better if they are already on the 'bad' side. On a similar note, I've heard some good reviews about Dollar Shave Club, though it is a service I will never sign up for as I am a die-hard fan of my safety and straight razor with Mitchell's Wool Fat Shaving Soap, and you would have to pry them all out of my cold, dead hands. They do seem like a great company though from what I've read.

I actually signed up for dollar shave club and I have to say I have really enjoyed the service. I think I pay 8 dollars a month because I opted for the top tier razors which actually leave a nice shave. Obviously they aren't the best of the best and the blades wear down in about 3 to 4 uses but since I get four heads a month (1 head for each week) I don't feel ripped off. The after shave is fantastic as well, and most importantly their site is easy to navigate. They even have an option to get razors every other month if you don't shave often. So all in all I'm happy with them. Sad to hear five four is shitty though.

This month they sent me two button shirts and last month I received 2 tshirts and jeans; claiming they're a 120$ value is an exaggeration.

I really hope linus and luke respond, but doubt it because they're getting their stuff for free and is sponsored by them.