Corsair K65 Mechanical keyboard mini review

omricn

* I originally posted this at the peripherals section, but thought it'll be of better service here. (if you think it is inappropriate to double post this please tell me so I will remove it..)

I just got me a corsair K65 keyboard and wanted to write a mini review on it, sort of a "what to expect when buying the Corsair K65".

So, here it goes..

The corsair K65 is a 10-keyless fully mechanical keyboard, which features all cherry mx red switches. you can search for the tech specs of it obviously but I want to describe it coming from a first experience with a mechanical keyboard.

The keys\switches:

Cherry mx red switches are the "lightest" ones of the bunch, they require very little pressure in order to actuate, and they do feel very light and fluffy.

The keycaps are raised and the board is missing that generic key-plate meaning the keys seem "naked"' which is a very refreshing and nice to look at feature. also, as a plus, this means cleaning the keyboard is now very easy.

It will take some time to get used to these switches though, I often find myself thinking I didn't press a certain key, then pressing it again in order to correct myself, only to realize I did press it in the first place, this is all due to the high actuation point, you don't need to press the keys all the way down in order to get the output.

mx-noled_zps18f7dead.png

The noise:

Coming from a very silent Microsoft BT keyboard, this keyboard seems very noisy to me, but it also is supposed to be the quietest of the bunch. ordering sound dampening o-rings from WASD-keyboards or ebay is supposed to make it quieter, I'll update as soon as I receive them.

The size:

The Corsair K65 is a 10-keyless board, which means it's missing the numpad. this can be a pro and a con, I mostly see it as a positive attribute. if you lack space on your desk, or just want a very nice and minimalist board, this one is definitely for you.

I did seem to miss the numpad's enter key, but that is quite negligible.

Other than the lack of a numpad, the K65 is fully sized, not featuring any funny awkward down sized random keys.

K65_A_zps6ebf3633.png

The built quality:

Well I really don't think I can say this enough: Corsair is, in my opinion, one of the best peripherals manufacturer quality wise. this board is beautifully constructed, gunmetal grey anodized aluminum chassis, very rugged and relatively heavy, it's built like a tank and looks like it should receive some sort of "best looking keyboard" award.

k65-aluminum-800_zps3690c5b5.png

the cord:

The K65 incorporates a detachable braided cord, which is routed to the keyboard via a cable management route, and connects to the board via mini-usb. very useful if traveling, or if you're like me, for sometimes putting it in the drawer when needing the extra desk space.

It could have been a little longer to enable better cable routing through the desk though.

k65-cable-800_zps0900a709.jpg

Final thoughts:

After years of switching between peripherals, mostly mice but also keyboards, I came to a conclusion that if it takes a little time to get used to, it mostly means it's special rather than bad. yes, if you buy a generic microsoft\any other brand keyboard, you'll get to typing\gaming in no time. but this thing, is a little more than that. it requires you to get to know it, to put your hands on it and navigate it, feel it, look at it. it's indeed special.

In my honest opinion, if you're looking for a 10-keyless mechanical keyboard, you simply can't go wrong with an aluminum chassis, cherry mx-red fully mechanical, detachable cord, premium quality board as the K65.

Full disclosure:

I am a serious Corsair fan.

IMG_20140606_154316_zps4b4b0463.jpg

Coolermaster HAF 912 advanced | i5 3570k @ 4.2ghz | MSI gtx 660ti pe oc | Gygabite z77x-d3h | 8GB g.skill ripjaws| Samsung 830 ssd  | Seasonic m12II 620w

Corsair M45 mouse | Corsair K65 Keyboard | LG 27EA33V 27' ips| 

•  

I originally wanted this keyboard but I realised that it did not have backlight so I bought its bigger brother, the K70. Nice review by the way.

I originally wanted this keyboard but I realised that it did not have backlight so I bought its bigger brother, the K70. Nice review by the way.

Actually the K70 isn't available where I'm from, I think I would have gone for it (only the silver one though) if it would've been.. I honestly believe it's the most beautiful keyboard on the planet :)

And thanks :)

Coolermaster HAF 912 advanced | i5 3570k @ 4.2ghz | MSI gtx 660ti pe oc | Gygabite z77x-d3h | 8GB g.skill ripjaws| Samsung 830 ssd  | Seasonic m12II 620w

•  

Actually the K70 isn't available where I'm from, I think I would have gone for it (only the silver one though) if it would've been.. I honestly believe it's the most beautiful keyboard on the planet :)

And thanks :)

Oh really? That's weird.. oh well the K65 is still an incredibly solid keyboard to last for years

Oh really? That's weird.. oh well the K65 is still an incredibly solid keyboard to last for years

Or at least until the K70 will become available and I'll sell the K65 and get it ;) 

(Though I think it's been discontinued.. :( )

•  

OP, please edit your post so it can be read in Night theme.........(grey text in grey background ftl)

OP, please edit your post so it can be read in Night theme.........(grey text in grey background ftl)

I changed the text color to grey, but when reading in day-time it's grey on white.. how come your comment (for example) is light grey on dark grey when in night time mode, and black on white in day time mode, but when I change text color it stays the same color regardless of the theme? whet am I doing wrong?....

EDIT- I don't know what's going on.. THIS post I'm just writing has no issues when switching themes..

•  

Well I got the wasd red keys+arrows and the red o-rings from 'wasd keyboards'  and as promised here they are:

hMoiz2n.jpg

mvy4Kg0.jpg

I only fitted o-rings on the wasd keys for now, will do the rest later this week, but man do they make a difference.. they make the keys feel "mushier", which is a good thing with red switches as they are so soft, and they dramatically reduce the noise the keys make. 

Now this is a perfect keyboard :)

•  

• 1 month later...

I bought this keyboard for a friend and man I really dislike MX Reds,there so light that by just lightly touching a key it would actuate(then again I find MX Blues to be too light ! xD)but man when I played a game with it,it felted really nice !

Overhaul I too recommend this keyboard for gaming but not really for typing unless you're really precise about your key strokes ^^ (i'm not xD)

And great review by the way !! :D 

Now only if they'd release an RGB version.

You gotta do you girl. I always say you gotta do you. And if he's doing him, then who's doing you? Because right now, it seems like no one's doing you.

- Stefani Stilton (she / her) 🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍⚧️