[Completed] Project N64 PC: A Kaveri HTPC inside a Nintendo 64

SageC

Wow. I really love the ghetto feel of this mod :D i approve  :lol:

Wow. I really love the ghetto feel of this mod :D i approve  :lol:

it's  a bir ghetto but it works out well :D

#killedmywife #howtomakebombs #vgamasterrace

subbed.  You might consider adding more vents maybe.  Or just dump it in a fish tank with some mineral oil like slick did :D

• 3 weeks later...

Update #2 - 6/30/2014:

Short little update here. 

So in between all the rain that's been happening here I finally managed to find a window to paint. The primer I used is SEM black self etching primer and the paint is PlastiKote Old Ford Blue engine enamel and Universal Black engine enamel. The primer worked out fine and the paint worked great for the first coat but started to peal when I applied the second, so I had to sand it down and apply more paint. The final product looks okay you can still see the peeling if you look hard enough but I'm still happy with how it turned out.

Before I apply the primer.

V1TGQVNl.jpg

After the first coat of primer.

obfk4zcl.jpg

After the paint's been applied, the imperfections don't really come out on camera but they definitely are visible in person but I still think it turned well and the colour really looks great.

G8Cauxql.jpg

cGICdXOl.jpg

I also tried to make a new back plate when the paint was drying but unfortunately I applied the pressure in the wrong place while lining up the drill press.. and it cracked in half, so there's that. I'll probably still end up making a new one but maybe a bit later.

voplCcol.jpg

Alright so that's it for this quick update, I should have another one sometime this week, so look forward to that!

Thanks for reading!

N64 HTPC: [Completed]

Main PC: i7 4770k @ 4.2 Ghz | Be Quiet! Dark Rock TF | Asus Z87 Maximus VI Formula | G Skill Ripjaws X 16GB | Zotac GTX 1070 | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | Seagate 1TB Hybrid | Samsung 840 EVO 128GB | Corsair 1200i | Thermaltake Core P5

Cool build. :P

System 1: Thermaltake Element Q - Thermaltake 220W SFX - Asus AT5IONT-I mini-ITX - Intel® Atom™ D525 onboard 1.8GHz Dual-Core HT - Integrated NVIDIA® ION™ - 2x 2GB Kingston DDR3 - Samsung 120GB 840 Series - Scythe Kama Rack 3.5 - Asus DVD-RW

System 2: Thermaltake Element Q - Thermaltake 220W SFX - Asus E2KM1I-DELUXE mini-ITX - AMD E2-2000 onboard 1.75GHz Dual-Core - Integrated AMD® Radeon HD 7340 - 2x 4GB Kingston DDR3 - Samsung 120GB 840 Series - Scythe Kama Rack 3.5 - Asus DVD-RW

Building: Bitfenix Prodigy Black - Corsair AX860i - Asus Maximus VII Impact - Corsair Hydro Series H100i - Intel® Core™ i7 4790K - Asus Matrix Platinum GTX 980 4GB - Corsair 16GB Dominator Platinum 2x 8GB DDR3 2400MHz CL10 - Samsung 1TB EVO 840 Series

Sweet. What is the cooler, though (sorry if I missed it)?

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Sweet. What is the cooler, though (sorry if I missed it)?

It's the Scythe Kozuti Low Profile CPU Cooler. I can't vouch for it's effectiveness as I've not been able to test it yet but it's the only cooler of this size that could cool a 95w TDP processor.

Main PC: i7 4770k @ 4.2 Ghz | Be Quiet! Dark Rock TF | Asus Z87 Maximus VI Formula | G Skill Ripjaws X 16GB | Zotac GTX 1070 | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | Seagate 1TB Hybrid | Samsung 840 EVO 128GB | Corsair 1200i | Thermaltake Core P5

Well fuck me, just a friendly reminder that epoxy and any sort of paint don't mix well.

jdUk3wnl.jpg

DAMN.

Gaming Computer | Case: CM Storm Scout II | MB: Asus P8Z77-V LK | CPU: i5 2320@3,6ghz | GFX:  MSI GTX 770 Gaming | RAM: 8gb DDR3 @ 1333mhz | Storage: 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Monitor: 1x Asus VG248QE @ 144Hz , 1x Samsung SyncMaster SA300 @ 77hz OC'd 

Other Device's | Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE@OmniROM | Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1@OmniROM | Laptop: Lenovo ThinkPad T61 Win 8.1

Crap. That stinks. :(

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Crap. That stinks. :(

Yeah, like literally, I almost threw up when I cracked open the tube of epoxy. That stuff reeks like no other glue I've smelt before,

And yeah it also sucks that the logo got screwed up. My only idea now is to scrape off the old logo, so I'm left just with the clear piece of plastic and get a decal printed off to put on the back of it.

Dayum , i should get a job to get the money to make stuff like this.

Well shit ;/ try super glue ? ;D When in doubt, Duct Tape ;D

That is the most adorable little radiator I've ever seen. Its a shame he never finished it.

Update #3 - 7/6/2014:

Alright guys, new update here.

I finally got the hardware to get this thing up and running! And got the switches mounted permanently in the top of the case!

So I took a trip to Memory Express to pick up the hardware I needed to get this thing to run. A AMD 7850k, Curcial M500 120GB mSata SSD, and A Kingston Fury 8GB 1866Mhz stick of memory.

wmpUZX8l.jpg

The SSD, this thing is pretty damn tiny. The diagram under it is 1:1 picture of a 2.5" hard drive believe it or not.

7Z6vFYUl.jpg

Installed!

JXN9YkVl.jpg

The RAM. I really wanted to go with a high clocked, like 2400Mhz, daul channel 8GB kit to really get every last bit of performance out of the APU but unfortunately I wasn't able to fit a stick in the first slot due to the CPU cooler being to large. So I had to go with this, luckily it's 1866Mhz which isn't awful but it's still not great. Also thanks Memory Express for the big ass in store warranty sticker for a product that already has lifetime warranty, real useful...

lITzxEjl.jpg

Dem pins! This is my first from scratch AMD build and I've got to say their method of putting the pins on the processor makes a bit more sense to me.

YBDKkKMl.jpg

Installed! I also have to say their socket system works a bit better too, there's very little risk of bending any pins. The processor just drops right into the socket, no worry of whether or not you have it lined up wrong.

eh0hkBNl.jpg

I also got the buttons glued in. I just used some epoxy for the plastic bits and hot glue for the switches and around the edges.

gZlhMRtl.jpg

The reset button.

0zZPBcEl.jpg

And the start button.

xafqkbol.jpg

From the top.

5XWAPX4l.jpg

No with the essentials assembled I can plug it into a spare power supply and see if it boots.

0qkG8msl.jpg

And everything worked as planned it booted and I got an OS installed on it. All I have to do is redo the back plate, get the actual power supply, and put modders mesh in the cartridge slot and vent hole. 

Here's a pic of how I had to set this thing up to manage to get an Ethernet cable to it, yeah it's a bit ghetto.  :P

iXGE1sBl.jpg

And that's all for now! The project is almost done, I don't expect any more than two more updates or so.

Thanks for reading!

Wow. This is pretty damn good. I approve of your modding skills.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

I challenge you to find some way to get a 2.5" HDD in there, ghetto or not.

Oh, and there's a Memory Express in Alberta? I didn't know that. My Dad lives there and I visit every second week. I'll see if I can visit it. :P

Build: CPU: Intel Core i5 4690k | CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM: 8GB G-Skill Ares 1600Mhz CL9 | Storage: 120GB Samsung 840 Evo + WD Blue 1TB 64MB Cache + Seagate Barracuda 2TB 64MB Cache | GPU: MSI GTX 960 | Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer | Power Supply: EVGA 600B Non-Modular | 

Wow. This is pretty damn good. I approve of your modding skills.

Why, thank you!

I challenge you to find some way to get a 2.5" HDD in there, ghetto or not.

Oh, and there's a Memory Express in Alberta? I didn't know that. My Dad lives there and I visit every second week. I'll see if I can visit it. :P

Yeah, that's why chose this motherboard so I could use a mSata SSD instead of 2.5" device. I plan on using steam in home streaming for modern games on this thing and just basically filling it up with ROMs. So I don't really need the space but it be a nice challenge.  :P

And I think there's five in Alberta if I remember correctly, two in Edmonton and three in Calgary. I've only been to the ones and Edmonton and the prices aren't great, the Customer service is a hit or miss, and they keep any hardware more expenses than a case fan in the back of the store. It's definitely no Micro Center, but eh, it's nice to have a local place to get hardware in a pinch.

Why, thank you!

Yeah, that's why chose this motherboard so I could use a mSata SSD instead of 2.5" device. I plan on using steam in home streaming for modern games on this thing and just basically filling it up with ROMs. So I don't really need the space but it be a nice challenge.  :P

And I think there's five in Alberta if I remember correctly, two in Edmonton and three in Calgary. I've only been to the ones and Edmonton and the prices aren't great, the Customer service is a hit or miss, and they keep any hardware more expenses than a case fan in the back of the store. It's definitely no Micro Center, but eh, it's nice to have a local place to get hardware in a pinch.

Yeah. Here in Saskatchewan we have OTV. It's really big and has a lot of selection, but their prices aren't too great. Their sales are really good, though. When I bought my 4690k they went for $270 online at E-tailers, then there's shipping. I got it for $250 taxes included.

Build: CPU: Intel Core i5 4690k | CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM: 8GB G-Skill Ares 1600Mhz CL9 | Storage: 120GB Samsung 840 Evo + WD Blue 1TB 64MB Cache + Seagate Barracuda 2TB 64MB Cache | GPU: MSI GTX 960 | Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer | Power Supply: EVGA 600B Non-Modular | 

• 4 weeks later...

Update #4 - 8/2/2014:

Alright, so I'm back. It's almost been a month, sorry about that, the past two weeks I've been visiting Linus in Vancouver (Not actually visiting Linus unfortunately). But I did manage to finish the thing before I left so I got a lot of stuff to show, but before that here's a pretty picture of the Vancouver skyline from Stanley Park.

M4bSGTtl.jpg

The first thing I did was remake the back plate out of aluminium, I just did this with a Dremel and a drill press. It was a lot easier to do than the acrylic one and looks so much better.

Eh43f1Sl.jpg

cwtTpsql.jpg

Painted up and installed.

DJnvn0ll.jpg

I also got the picoPSU Installed and did some cable management.

6PetJyll.jpg

So I guess that's it for this one, I don't want to post the final glamour shot post until I can make proper word string thingys 'cause apparently that's really difficult for me tonight. So expect the final update sometime tomorrow or Monday, but to make up for the short post I guess I'll show off the Rainmeter skin I made to make this thing have a more fluid HTPC experience.

Iq4BA9ll.png

It's based off of various elements from Super Smash Bros menus as you can see below...

zdQ53RBm.pngTTyLDsFm.png

...And features a functioning clock, volume control, power switch, storage used read out, and shortcuts for Chrome, Hyperspin (the emulator front end), Steam (big picture), Youtube (Windows 8 app), Music (Google Play Music), and Netflix (also the Windows 8 app). I'm pretty happy with it considering it's my first completely from scratch skin.  :D