• RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2400Mhz 8GB
  • HDD: 2x Kingston HyperX 3K240GB
  • PSU: CoolerMaster V850 Fully Modular
  • Case: Custom Scratch Built

Cooling

• Radiator- XPSC AX 360mm
  • Pump - EK DC12-400
  • Blocks [CPU]XPSC RayStorm XSPC / [RAM]Universal Memory Copper Waterblock 
  • Fittings - Bitspower Multi-Link adapter 90 degrees/ Bitspower Multi-Link Adapter/ [Many!]
  • Tubing- ShakMods 10/12 Clear Rigid Acrylic 
  • Sleeving- Telios [Lutro0/E22]

Sponsors and special Mentions

msi-G-series-logo.jpg

Sponsored - MSI Gaming 7 Motherboard & MSI 270x GPU

partners-col-2-kingston.jpg

8GB Kingston HyperX Beast 2400Mhz]

2x 240GB HyperX 3K SSD's

D132-Coolermaster1.jpg

Cooler Master V850 Fully Modular PSU

8x JetFlo 120mm White LED Fans

forumlogo_final4.jpg

For going the extra mile to source the Bitspower Fittings and Hairibos!

Sponsor-logo.png

For super fast shipping and service

logo.png

For providing the Liquid - Mayhems Aurora 2 Red

Introduction & Planning/Concept
I've been sat on some ideas for a good while  since I did my last Project "Time Filler" back late last year. It was never going to be something I'd use the clue was in the name. it was more nothing more than something to take my mind of my bad health at that time.

My health is little better now, I spent some time recently using what I’d learnt on the last build, blending it with a pretty random idea I had, and aimed to  turn it into something practical. Rather than use MSpaint which I've used the past...I know!

I decided to delve into 3D drawing applications and  Sketchup was a logic choice. Now I have to be honest getting the grips with the software was tougher than I expected, Sure the tutorials are on YT but I wanted to just jump in and see what I could do...or not, needless the say the first drawing didn’t the hit mark…and wasn’t as I'd hoped. The overall shape is there, maybe if you squint your eyes or roll your head?

case3-1-Copy-copy.jpg
case-render2-Copy-3-copy.jpg

Nope. Afraid not. So yeah not great!, but working in 3D I could see this random idea I have working. I took the easy route and spent a few hours watching tutorials and getting the grips with Sketchup. Using some premade models from the online warehouse, Next attempt was a step in right direction.

Left [second attempt] Right First [ first attempt]

new-Copy-2-copy.jpg
new2323142-Copy-2.png
I've never used anything like this but I can’t recommended it enough for planning, being able to change things on the fly is extremely helpful
front-2-Copy-copy.jpg
new2323142444-Copy-2-copy.jpg

After laying the tubing route into place, I moved onto rendering, again much time was spent looking at tutorials and downloading free plugins and such. I’m still very much at the low end of learning curve, it’s been hit and miss but I’m happy at this point. I used many different render plugins and the images speak for themselves, some are poor others a little better.lllllllllll-Copy-3-copy.jpg
mbnmbnmnbmnb-Copy-2-copy.jpg
232332-Copy-3-copy.jpg

Now the top chamber is set to act as  point for all external cables, USB,Power, everything like that, I want to channel them and have they all coming out at the same point. I’m avoiding all clutter when possible. The render doesn’t show everything I have planned, like I said I’m learning as I go, 

The case is split into 3 chambers. 2, large [left and right] 1 small [centre] and can they all can viewed internally from multiple angles... I'll be using short but neat cables for the PSU wires and such.

I’m not going  for a more traditional route, hiding all cables around the back approach. The opposite I suppose, I want something that looks good no matter where you look. Now the design as is, does have some pretty obvious flaws and I’ve addressed most of them. Since I took the screenshots posted here, I’m meeting my brother in a few days to have the main frame fabricated.

66-Copy-3-copy.jpg

55555-Copy-3-copy.jpg

glossy-Copy-3-copy.jpg

saturday-Copy-3-copy.jpg

FAQ
I've rounded up athe most common PM's, Tweets,Emails and grouped them here
Q- Dust! Whats the plan?
A - Filters will be added in due course

Q- Why is the GPU aircooled?
A- It's a non reference mid ranged card, no block exists. Options are the new alphacool ones or a GPU change, More likely the latter in time.

Q-What is the liquid
A- Mayhems Aurora 2 Red

Q-The I/O port is restricted, isn't that stupid?
A- Not at all the base had a large cutout for access, also how often do you really need access? I have extensions from the USB 3.0 ports for any additional devices I may add in the future.

Q-What's the paint type, rattle can?
Poweder Coat

Q-What tubing did you use?
A- I was given some PETG from a friend a while a go. The OD is to large for the Bitspower fittings, even with filing/sanding. I used ShakMods 10/12

I have something out of the box in mind but it might prove a nightmare…we shall see., I’m not going  for a more traditional route, hiding all cables around the back approach. The opposite I suppose, I want something that looks good no matter where you look. Now the design as is, does have some pretty obvious flaws and I’ve addressed most of them. Since I took the screenshots posted here, I’m meeting my brother in a few days to have the main frame fabricated.

I love the design and look, and those are some beautiful renders.

However do you not think it will look ugly with the cables sticking out the top? What if you inverted the design and had the IO on the bottom with some small feet, then you could run the cables wherever you want?.... just a thought, though that might be incredibly impracticale

Look forward to see more of this

followed!

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Epic...subbed.

Nice first post haha, welcome to LTT  :D

Thanks for the welcom :)

:D

I love the design and look, and those are some beautiful renders.

However do you not think it will look ugly with the cables sticking out the top? What if you inverted the design and had the IO on the bottom with some small feet, then you could run the cables wherever you want?.... just a thought, though that might be incredibly impracticale

Look forward to see more of this

followed!

Thanks for the feedback, Indeed this was a clear issue with the version of the mockup I posted. See below for the new revisions ;)

[insert "dis gon b gud" gif here]

Seriously, this looks amazing! I can't wait to see how this thing turns out!

Thanks for the that

Due to  legal reasons and complications, The company involved said they would rather I not to show much of the actual fabrication process or their equiptment. Anyways the exterior frame was made with two sheets bent that meet at the middle.

2014-04-22_16.14.511-copy.jpg

Their was a few blunders between some of guys that helped with the welding. It’s not all bad though I'll just make this one....
MK1

280px-MARK1.jpg

The main issue is that the top plate has been fitted the wrong way, meaning the PCIE bracket won’t work, it’s a two minute fix to cut it out and flip it over but once the rig started to shape, the sheer size of this thing really hit me. I had to seriously consider keeping as it, or downsizing. Its and empty frame and looks can be deceiving.  Once the components and tubing go in it’ll fill pretty quick.

I decived to mock fit some parts and  perhaps rejig the design, and then if needed go  back to the shop. 

DSCN2967-copy.jpg

This plate top for motherboard and PSU is upside down...whoops

DSCN2970-copy.jpg

DSCN2969-copy.jpg

DSCN2973-copy.jpg

DSCN2968-copy.jpg

The mesh won't be staying, it was just a random off cut that was going spare. So yeah metal work looks well..so so at this stage, it’s nice seeing it in the flesh and putting pen to paper, then moving to sketchup and now this.

The mock up version  sat here in front of me for the last couple of weeks or so, the more I've played around I realized it needs to be downsized for sure. With that said it was back to sketechup to trim it down some.

Aside from trimming it down a fairly obvious flaw is present in MK1, the bottom chamber had the most visual pleasing point imho, but was hard to see this area, being so low down. Obvious fix is to 180 degree flip the entire design, bringing the main tubing up top. 

I've shrunk to overall sizes down from a mammoth 65Hx65WX40D to 50x50x40, now that might not seem that much, but really it is. The top and bottom chamber are now 100mm instead of 150mm. I rotated the radiator also to compensate for the reduction. 

The middle chamber has also been reduced allowing the two side chambers more room,

Anyways this is where I'm at currenty.  just waiting for more shop time

jjhj-copy.jpg

back-side-copy.png

rea-side-copy.png

front-copy.png

side-copy.png

jjhj.jpgjjjj-copy.jpg

fsdgdfgdfg-copy.jpg

What I’m showing atm is just a brief frame, the cosmetics changes I have planned will make a significance difference. The new design allows a fill and drain port to be added in more accessible and logical point too.

I’m not able to post potential parts,specs and such until I finalize current conversations with some people. I’m not aiming for extreme or even high end tbh, it’s more a visual project than a power house.

Awesome, just awesome.

:D

I'm a little behind schedule for a few reasons. Mostly lack of machine time at my local CNC/Fabrication. It's been has been a nightmare try to get shop floor time since they took on additional work. Target for MKII is middle of next week.

The real issue the tubing and the guess work involved at this point. If I had the motherboard and blocks to hand, I could map out the holes that need cut 
and have them lasered out before the main horizontal shelves are fixed. The plan was always to have the case fabricated and drill them my self.

The problem I've inherited with overall size reduction is trying to drill out these holes by hand is going to be tricky now, given that the middle chamber is now set to be smaller than before.  I would struggle to get a drill in their and work freely. The plan now is to have the top self made up but not fixed yet. This will allow me to mock it into place and remove it, in and out to mark for tube routes and any cuts I need to make.

The downside of this approach is of-course is time. I should have most of the case ready soon  but I'll need to mark the holes,cut them out, test fit the rigid tubing and then find more time to have the top shelf fitted again. Using some sort of brackets,bolts  on the top shelf has crossed my mind. It does open up options for upgrades,changes and maintenance but would take away from the clean look I'm going for. I dont want to use bolt or rivets that would be seen on the exterior.

This has caused a "what if we do it this way..." chats that has snowballed for a week or two now. As is, I'm not sure what is the right path to take.

Paint and finish where set to be done locally but the business is relocating, and with the projected case weight, shipping isn't' really an option. I'm now searching for someone else to do the powder coating and I can't at this time find anyone. I have sent out a ton of email and made a few calls, fingers crossed I hear back soon.  

The  important above all issue, is that of fitting choice, As you may know we aren't exactly spoilt for choice when it comes to rigid tubing and fittings. All have pros and cons. I've worked with the V1 Ghost fittings from Primochill, they have since been tweaked and are more aesthetically pleasing. 

Even If I was to use the  Primochill fittings in the loop,their are sections that require tight 90/180 bends and I know they would be better suited with 90degree fittings. I'd prefer not to mix fitting types and brands. 

The most viable solution for the look I want, is to use the newer Bitspower Multi-Link adapter 90 degrees fittings

db_file_img_6826_800xauto.jpg

and 
Bitspower Multi-Link Adapter G1 / 4 inch OD 12mm

After some research, particularly from Bill Owen and his team of monkeys, The Bitspower fittings are the best choice here. I wouldn't need to mix any brands and it would look more universal. The pitfall of course is that these are premium fittings. Coming at at £11.99 each for the 90's,  the projected cost went through the roof. 

Even after a design tweak I'm still looking at 35pcs [90s] and a few regular fittings too. This has pushed the cost way above what I had hoped for int region of £450.  I will be looking at the best option over the next few days before making a firm choice. The cheaper approach is to add some bends to the tubes here and their, this could push the cost down a bit but would spoil the look imho.

partners-col-2-kingston.jpg

Just as they have in the past Kingston have stepped in and offered their support. I must express my gratitude to them for being part of the build. What they'll been offering I'll be showing in due course. Their may be another sponsor or two but again more about that soon

Despite a slow start,  I *should* be the next ISERIES Event here in the UK 
Till next time.

ok @CtW 

post-52604-0-02978700-1402138976.gif

post-52604-0-02978700-1402138976.gif

My Setup :P

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

Thanks for the feedback, Indeed this was a clear issue with the version of the mockup I posted. See below for the new revisions ;)

Awesome revision 2 looks way better

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

that's a great lookin cube

lookin  forward to more of this :)

looking forward to your progress :D

CASE: FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE R4  |  MOBO: MSI MPOWER Z77  |  CPU: Intel i5 3570k @ 4.4 GHz  |  CPU COOLER: NOCTUA NH-D15  |  GPU: EVGA GTX 770 SC |

PSU: CORSAIR AX860 W/ RED BRAIDED CABLES | SSD: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250 GB | HDD: WD BLACK 1 TB | FANS: 3x NOCTUA NF-A14 | MONITOR: HP W2371D

KEYBOARD: CM STORM QFR MX BLUES W/  PBT KEYCAPS  |  MOUSE: LOGITECH G502 | MIC: AUDIO TECHNICA AT2020 | HEADPHONES: SENNHEISER HD 558

ok @CtW 

haha

Awesome revision 2 looks way better

100% better yup

that's a great lookin cube

lookin  forward to more of this :)

Much more coming very soon

Those rounded edges look so nice

My favorite part too :)

looking forward to your progress :D

soon!

Quick update with more to follow tonight or tomorrow, The bulk of the case has been fabricated today with the a few smaller cosmetic and structural supports to be added soon. 

I've also located a local business to do the powder coating. I'm still sat on the fence about fittings and tubing route but now that I have a live version to work with rather than 3D model, I should be able to make a firm decision soon. More images to follow ASAP

low res quick snap from phone sorry :P

2014-06-12_12.10.581.jpg
Till next time

#inb4applesueforrectanglewithroundedcorners

No seriously though its looking smart as hell

Wow, this build is going to look sick :)

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

looks amazing so far, love the fact you pre planned this and do all them 3D drawings.

got to love Asus components

• 4 weeks later...

#inb4applesueforrectanglewithroundedcorners

No seriously though its looking smart as hell

Hehe it could happen,

This is just awesome, it has me thinking about doing a scratch build next time.

Go for it, its so much fan

Wow, this build is going to look sick :)

Thanks man

looks amazing so far, love the fact you pre planned this and do all them 3D drawings.

Yeah Im glad I took the extra time.. 

So then a long overdue update for you guys. Apologies!
I've made logs in the past but I wanted to do go the extra mile this time around. Sometimes a picture can't show and emphasize where you going, or what you did. For this reason I made the decision to add a VLOG to coincide with this log.

I will say, at this point the videos are raw, no flashy editing or glamour shots to show of course. It's just me chatting about the build and the end goal. Future videos will be shorter and more focused ;)

I*'ll have to have a chat with Mods before posting the link*

It's been a slow month but progress is starting to take shape now. First thing I ordered was http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=WC-180-XS
It was on “deal for today” I believe. I didn't strictly need it but at the price it would be rude not too.

Starting point was tackle was the first mid plate that the motherboard will mount too. The weld points needed some mass filing, to allow it to sit neatly.20140612_204958-copy.jpg

I also test fitted the bottom side section, I've yet to cut the two SSD Windows.

20140612_202157-copy.jpg
20140612_202208-2-copy.jpg
20140612_202219-copy.jpg

MK 1 side by with MKII
DSCN3643-copy.jpg
DSCN3647-copy.jpg
DSCN3645-copy.jpg

The side effect of taking the middle section in and out, filing and such caused some damage at the cases weld points here. I will patch them up before paint of course

DSCN3634-copy.jpg
DSCN3636-copy.jpg

I lost a fair amount time with the start of the world cup too, and complaining about the amount of crisps you don’t get in a so called extra fill pack :D

10462458_10152471492367210_4428935849892
10487602_10152467124242210_3171012374885

A nice package came from CoolerMaster arrived.

I'm absolutely thrilled to have their support. The PSU is perfect managing the cables in the build. The Jetflow fans with White LED's will add some nice lighting effects and epic airflow too 

10513370_10152478418647210_4985026088008

I will add some shots of the included parts, cables adaptors and such. I'll be honest I was just too keen to test fit everything!

Tested fitting the PSU and prayed the screw holes lined up
DSCN3982-copy.jpg
DSCN3980-copy.jpg
DSCN3977-copy.jpg

The Jetflows fitted for mock up, blurry motherboard???? 
DSCN39621-copy.png
As said above, I will add some more pics of the Fans and the PSU Soon

I’m thinking about using something like the NZXT Grid to manage all the cable at one central point in the mid chamber Time will tell 
10458025_10152490130747210_8981201824211
DSCN3970-copy.jpg

Adding cable routes for the Fan cables was done with a drill and file
20140630_141230-copy.jpg
Still rough at the moment
20140630_140710-copy.jpg

I had another package arrive that allow me to move forward significantly also

msi-G-series-logo.jpg

Again I can't express my gratitude enough to MSI UK for their support.

I will be Working with Gaming 7 Z97 Motherboard and 270X Gaming edition GPU. Do keep In mind what I said at the start of the thread. This was never meant to be a power house.  I had always been on the fence to add a GPU with block into the loop or not. I've decided at this point in time not to do that. The loop design however allows me to implement it with ease in the future. Again the desire to get everything in their, got the better of me, so more images to follow soon

DSCN3926-copy.png
DSCN3947-copy.png
DSCN3949-copy.png

DSCN4021-copy.png
DSCN4016-copy.png
20140620_140834-copy.jpg

Same image from earlier, no need to hide the Board and GPU now :D
DSCN3963-copy.jpg

With the parts now here I could crack on and add the mounts for the motherboard
20140626_133637-copy.jpg
20140626_133609-copy.jpg
20140626_133729-copy.jpg

With help from my assistant of course
10445949_10152482870287210_8435055121716

It made sense to incorporate some “MSI Gaming” theme touches into the build. The first thing I wanted to add was something to the bottom plate around the I/O area. Using the MSI dragon I took a sheet of 3mm  acrylic and attempted to make the tail. Results aren't bad considering it was all done by hand and many, many, many hours of sanding and filing went into it!

20140705_130502-copy.jpg

The process was rather unothordox but kept me busy haha
20140704_155925-copy.jpg
Lots of mess
20140704_180544-copy.jpg

and so the sanding begins
20140704_172907-copy.jpg

and the tail fins 
20140704_204451-copy.jpg

20140705_104801-copy.jpg

20140705_103855-copy.jpg

20140705_124643-copy.jpg

Finally the reservoirs, again unorthodox approach! I have two 50cm versions here to hand, from a retired build. Scratched up and of no real uses. I will be using the 25cm version in due course, so I cut one in half to allow me to mock them up :D

20140630_153051-copy.jpg
20140630_153147-copy.jpg
20140630_153104-copy.jpg

On top of this I've had a random idea to bring in the MSI dragon claws and well. You’ll see....Using a clamp, the res and heat gun I made this.

10487338_10152506065707210_8197309771189
10403078_10152506065802210_6358203396252

10462593_10152506066137210_3869766946933
10458101_10152506066857210_1080468701466
10491278_10152506067192210_7602101716367

I added some white paper, just to aid with separating the colours. The real issue is the scale of the tail and hands, to me don’t feel right, so we’ll see how I goes.
20140706_183540-copy.jpg
20140706_215117-copy.jpg
20140706_215012-1-copy.jpg

Lastly A good friend of mine supplied with me 10x1m lengths of PETG tubing, in short it’s much more resilient then generic tubing! Again more details to follow. Thanks Dave!!!
10404373_10152497355212210_4314949838908

So that's where I'm at guys, lots of polishing and edges to clean up. 30th birthday on Friday, A few delivery s due this week or next and then I will be placing the order for the projected 51 fittings. 

Till next time, thanks for reading

Ya done double posted.

Fixed

I just love the workmanship gone into this build, man i wish i had the time and funds to do a fresh custom build like this. 

good job, now i think i will pick up my jaw...

got to love Asus components