シルバー - Shirubā

Go to solution Solved by Oshino Shinobu,

COMPLETE! 

Everything wired up, side panels on, booted and Windows installed. Still got some software setup to do, but I won't be documenting that. 

Going to take some final pictures soon, probably today with my phone, but I'll take some more, better ones with my friend's camera or another camera if I can find one I can use. For now I've left you a Shinobu gif as a placeholder. 

It's taken a while, but I've really enjoyed this build. I feel like I've learnt a fair bit about modding from this build as several things didn't go to plan and I had to change things as I went along. Finishing this has made me want to create another rig (probably a media PC/720p gaming). I have a few ideas for it, among which are designing it in a Mirror's Edge art style or using an anime character as a base (probably Shinobu or another character from the Monogatari series). Keep an eye out for another build log from me at some point in 2015. 

Thank you to everyone who's followed, commented, provided helpful criticism and suggestions, complimented or just looked at the build log. I'll be submitting it to build logs of the month/week soon, so please vote for it if you have the chance (: 

Bye for now (: 

tumblr_mgcikkZdyN1rnrot7o1_500.gif

Yep. No doubt I'm going to end up cutting myself at some point. I'll have plasters on standby xD 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Decker-RT650KA-Wizard-Multitool/dp/B0001OZHF8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1414173707&sr=8-1&keywords=black+and+decker+rotary+tool Im getting this and alxandy got one What graphical power would i need for triple 1680 x 1050? (5040 x 1050)

Steve

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Decker-RT650KA-Wizard-Multitool/dp/B0001OZHF8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1414173707&sr=8-1&keywords=black+and+decker+rotary+tool Im getting this and alxandy got one What graphical power would i need for triple 1680 x 1050? (5040 x 1050)

Perfect for breaking and entering apparently xD 

71ef8VXJxcL._SL1018_.jpg

To run it well, 980 SLI would be the best right now. The 300 series will probably be better when it comes around though.

Perfect for breaking and entering apparently xD

Posted Image

To run it well, 980 SLI would be the best right now. The 300 series will probably be better when it comes around though.

Hey you need the right tools to rob people efficiently right?

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

So, filing the entire edges down was going to take AGES, so I found a somewhat ghetto, but much much easier, and I think possibly cleaner way of doing it. I simply bent back all of the jagged bits behind the front panel, so all you see from the side is a nice, smooth and round edge. There are some bits that I can't bend round, so I'll still need to sand/cut those down. 

Also, don't mind the filings all over the case, I'm going to give the entire thing a good clean before I start to install anything. 

ZCdPsC8.jpg

eA0nZFS.jpg

Hey you need the right tools to rob people efficiently right?

I don't know. Dremel type tools are bloody loud. Some good bolt cutters would do better xD 

EDIT: Also, is it just me, or is that image photoshopped? Doesn't look like the disc is actually cutting into it xD

I don't know. Dremel type tools are bloody loud. Some good bolt cutters would do better xD

The best type of theft is the type where you humiliate the victim by robbing them in broad daylight right?

Edit: hmm it could be...

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

Case has been cleaned up and dust filters have been washed and left to dry. 

FuyMbob.jpg

Going to buy a small tin of black paint to touch up the bits that don't have paint on tomorrow when I'm at work. 

Also did some quick test fits with the motherboard and SSD mounting plate. It's a little too short at the top, but I don't think it's going to be very noticeable once the raw bit of metal is painted and all of the watercooling stuff is in. I could order a new parts, but to be honest I can't be bothered to wait for another week or so for it to arrive. I'm overall happy with how it lines up, the top of the reservoir should line up well with the CPU block. 

What do you guys think of it? Have any ideas for something to put in the gap at the top of the mounting plate? Might put the SSDs on the plate just to see how it looks and how much room there is for the reservoir. 

mKPLL8F.jpg

LA8cDvf.jpg

Looks better with the plate in the case. Interested to see the spacing of the front rad, ssd and reservoir when its all in.

Blarg

The mounting plate is pretty much finished now. I've drilled the holes to mount it to the case (need to buy some new, longer bolts for one, maybe two of the holes. Also drilled the holes for mounting the reservoir, but they're not completely straight, so I might just take a small file to the hole to make them line up. Also mounted the SSDs to the plate. 

Here's some pictures of my test fitting. I didn't have quite as much room as I had hoped, but I still think it looks good. I might paint the top of the bolts black, but I'm not sure on that yet. There's a bolt missing from the top right of the plate (one that's not long enough), so it is bending slightly, making it look angled/not straight. Still need to put the translucent sheet behind the lettering to diffuse the LEDs that will be behind the plate, but that will only take a few seconds. 

When it is completely finished, I won't have any more modding left to do, so I'll be able to just install components and tube up the loop. I'll probably get the radiators and fans in tomorrow when I get back from work, but won't start the loop until Monday when I'll have more time. I'm expecting to be done by Tuesday after I've done some leak testing and sealed up the loop. 

PQJQ1Je.jpg

ktNiOK0.jpg

H83hf89.jpg

MMceHcQ.jpg

Couldn't you've mounted it onto of the entire rubber grommited section? IMO would've looked 110% cleaner & if you were running distilled water you could check out your sweet individual cable runs. Any other colors you're potentially going to add? Maybe silver accents on around the mister/rear I/o area

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

Couldn't you've mounted it onto of the entire rubber grommited section? IMO would've looked 110% cleaner & if you were running distilled water you could check out your sweet individual cable runs. Any other colors you're potentially going to add? Maybe silver accents on around the mister/rear I/o area

Well, I can always drill different holes to change the position, so I'm not ruling it out. The main concern I'd have is being able to fit all of the cables through without it being a super tight fit, the sleeved cables are pretty bulky. 

I'm going to be using distilled water for the coolant, and I'm hoping the lighting I have planned will hit the res nicely. I'll have to see how things look after the rest of the components are in before I add any extra stuff. The fittings are all silver, and the  "シルバー" is going to be glowing white. I'm trying to keep the amount of accents and extra bits down as I feel I went way overboard with the midplate and other bits with how the build was before. 

Still, as I said, I'll consider repositioning the reservoir once I've tested it with cables. Maybe I'll just put some short black bolts through the existing holes to cover them up a bit if I do move them. 

Radiators in, reservoir straightened, SSDs wired up (can't get to them with the radiator in, so had to do them before), LEDs and diffusing sheet installed on mounting plate.

Unfortunately I don't have enough room to have both of the 240mm radiators, along with the pump in, so I've left the bottom radiator out for now, maybe I'll move to a bigger case (Hopefully something from Caselabs) in the future and put it to use. There's now going to be a fairly long run from the front radiator to the GPUs, but I don't think it will look too bad.

I'm going to put one strip of LEDs between the top rad and front of the case. I've found this provides some good lighting throughout the case, without being hard and overpowering.

8IEPX7w.jpg

cA4FMqQ.jpg

94GfHeg.jpg

3r1ROQC.jpg

z1psHcT.jpg  

Radiators in, reservoir straightened, SSDs wired up (can't get to them with the radiator in, so had to do them before), LEDs and diffusing sheet installed on mounting plate.

Unfortunately I don't have enough room to have both of the 240mm radiators, along with the pump in, so I've left the bottom radiator out for now, maybe I'll move to a bigger case (Hopefully something from Caselabs) in the future and put it to use. There's now going to be a fairly long run from the front radiator to the GPUs, but I don't think it will look too bad.

I'm going to put one strip of LEDs between the top rad and front of the case. I've found this provides some good lighting throughout the case, without being hard and overpowering.

*Sirsnipalot*

Looks great mate. :) I hope the final product will live up to  my expectations. If you move on to a different case may I recommend the H440? :) (I'm an H440 fanboy.)

Looks great mate. :) I hope the final product will live up to  my expectations. If you move on to a different case may I recommend the H440? :) (I'm an H440 fanboy.)

Thank you. I'm working on the wiring at the back, then I have one more PCIE cable to sleeve before I can get the graphics cards in, then I'll be done for the day I think. I've managed to get everything powered off one molex cable too (with 4 connectors). I have 3 SSDs, 2 sets of LEDs, all the fans using NZXT Grid and the pump all on one molex cable. I'm hoping I'm not overloading it xD 

I've also turned on the fans to test the noise it makes, and with all of the fans at top speed with the side panels off, it's very close to silent. If I move about 6 feet away, I can't hear it at all. I'm thinking that it's going to be completely silent once the side panels are on and it's sitting under my desk. I freaking love these fans, they're amazing. 

I really don't like how the H440 looks ): It's pretty cool and some of the features are really nice, but I'd never want to own one. I'd be moving to something bigger if I do change, which might end up being a 900D if I can't afford a Caselabs SMA8.

I'm expecting to be done tomorrow, or at least done with the leak tests. I actually have an external RAID enclosure, another 2TB Seagate Barracuda and a USB SATA 3 dock coming tomorrow, so I don't have to worry about where to put the HDD. I still need to figure out how to manage my storage and such. I'm thinking of having things like Photoshop, Illustrator and other production type programs on the 500GB boot RAID setup and then have the other 250GB SSD dedicated to games with heavy load times like BF3/4, Arma2/DayZ and Skyrim, then having the vast majority of my files and such on the external RAID. I'll also be able to share the storage in the RAID enclosure between my laptop and desktop, using eSATA for the desktop and USB 3.0 for my laptop. 

Although most of the boxes are empty, I still might take a picture of everything lined up if that's something people would like?

Thank you. I'm working on the wiring at the back, then I have one more PCIE cable to sleeve before I can get the graphics cards in, then I'll be done for the day I think. I've managed to get everything powered off one molex cable too (with 4 connectors). I have 3 SSDs, 2 sets of LEDs, all the fans using NZXT Grid and the pump all on one molex cable. I'm hoping I'm not overloading it xD 

I've also turned on the fans to test the noise it makes, and with all of the fans at top speed with the side panels off, it's very close to silent. If I move about 6 feet away, I can't hear it at all. I'm thinking that it's going to be completely silent once the side panels are on and it's sitting under my desk. I freaking love these fans, they're amazing. 

I really don't like how the H440 looks ): It's pretty cool and some of the features are really nice, but I'd never want to own one. I'd be moving to something bigger if I do change, which might end up being a 900D if I can't afford a Caselabs SMA8.

I'm expecting to be done tomorrow, or at least done with the leak tests. I actually have an external RAID enclosure, another 2TB Seagate Barracuda and a USB SATA 3 dock coming tomorrow, so I don't have to worry about where to put the HDD. I still need to figure out how to manage my storage and such. I'm thinking of having things like Photoshop, Illustrator and other production type programs on the 500GB boot RAID setup and then have the other 250GB SSD dedicated to games with heavy load times like BF3/4, Arma2/DayZ and Skyrim, then having the vast majority of my files and such on the external RAID. I'll also be able to share the storage in the RAID enclosure between my laptop and desktop, using eSATA for the desktop and USB 3.0 for my laptop. 

Although most of the boxes are empty, I still might take a picture of everything lined up if that's something people would like?

Is it these fans? :http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FG-027-NB&adword=google/pla&gclid=CLXIgOjczcECFe3LtAodIEIA5w if so I might get the monochrome ones

Steve

Yep. You get the silence of Noctua for half the price, and they look good. 

Now i need a job cus i cant even one at the moment. What did you think of my build log if you looked at it? Thanks

Steve

Now i need a job cus i cant even one at the moment. What did you think of my build log if you looked at it? Thanks

Didn't know you had one. Checking now.

Didn't know you had one. Checking now.

Yay Thanks. I have no pictures because the best camera i have is my htc sensation. However for final shots (if i ever complete it(im poor)) im gonna try borrowing my sisters dslr :S

Steve

z1psHcT.jpg

i feel i may have missed something. Why are there only 3 ram sticks?

Blarg

i feel i may have missed something. Why are there only 3 ram sticks?

There's only been three from the start xD One of them died a while ago and I haven't got round to replacing it. I'm planning on buying a 16GB kit so that I then have 24GB in total, but it's not a high priority right now. I might put one of the dust cap type things for the RAM slots in just to cover up the tan colour. 

Graphics cards and fittings are in. The runs I have planned may change once I actually start putting the tubing in, but for now I'm pleased with how it's looking. Not having the bottom radiator means that I have some fittings spare which will help with filling the loop. I'll use a compression fitting, bit of tubing with a funnel in the end to fill it, very little risk of spillage. I think I'm going to do around 3 hours of leak tests before I wire up everything completely. I still need to clean up the GPU cables a bit, but that will come later. 

RNIijmz.jpg?1

11wiPR7.jpg

i9qG8BB.jpg

vVBzLjz.jpg

eDRb2z2.jpg

Tubed up! All the tubing is done with loads to spare. The area around the pump was slightly annoying because of the very short runs, but I'm pretty happy with how they are. The one from the front radiator to the GPUs didn't turn out as bad as I had thought it would. 

Sc63aqQ.jpg

R6lFuQX.jpg

nHvxYEr.jpg

832ArwL.jpg

fty4PwP.jpg

ZyPz0pc.jpg