Desk 90% Complete!

spwath

Sounds awesome and the desk looks good but what about the IO ports on the mobo & gpu.

if you want to plug something in now you'll have to take it apart or there'll have to be some sort of door 

The glass will be in 2 panels on that side so i just lift up one panel. Ill have some sort of thing to route cables out. MOst of the time i dont plug stuff in anyway, but ill have a front panel conectors on the bottom of the desk.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

The glass will be in 2 panels on that side so i just lift up one panel. Ill have some sort of thing to route cables out. MOst of the time i dont plug stuff in anyway, but ill have a front panel conectors on the bottom of the desk.

okay yeah  that makes sense :) really looking forward to the build  :D

My Build log of the Satan's Cave PC Desk Project is starting to get in action! Come check it out if you feel like it  :) 

okay yeah that makes sense :) really looking forward to the build :D

Me to. Hopefully it won't cost to much. I want to save some for possible water cooling, new GPU, and more. But I'll have around 800-900 to work with for everything.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Me to. Hopefully it won't cost to much. I want to save some for possible water cooling, new GPU, and more. But I'll have around 800-900 to work with for everything.

you have that money for just the pc or do you have to buy the pc, desk parts and peripherals with it?

also, what kind of color scheme are you aiming for?  

My Build log of the Satan's Cave PC Desk Project is starting to get in action! Come check it out if you feel like it  :) 

you have that money for just the pc or do you have to buy the pc, desk parts and peripherals with it?

also, what kind of color scheme are you aiming for?  

For everything chjanged from my current rig.

Colors- Dark wood, Mirror shiny, black, and the blue from my profile gif.

Ill be using these extensions

12-162-053-01.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Question? Will a wood case have any grounding problems?

I doubt it, but just try to be careful or something.

OK. That's what I thought. What about shielding, from any electro magnetic things the computer makes

Question? Will a wood case have any grounding problems?

Most people that do these kind of builds use either standoffs for the mobo or get a backplate from an old case an spraypaint it.

that also gives you the ability to run the cables underneath the motherboard, to clean things up a bit 

Most people that do these kind of builds use either standoffs for the mobo or get a backplate from an old case an spraypaint it.

that also gives you the ability to run the cables underneath the motherboard, to clean things up a bit 

i made a topic on this, people said i wouldent need it. BUt i think ill be safe, rip apart my phantom 410, and use that MB tray, and atatch it to the PSU.

Hmm change of plans, my dad won't let me because of the fire hazard. What are some alternate materials I could use instead of wood?

Hmm change of plans, my dad won't let me because of the fire hazard. What are some alternate materials I could use instead of wood?

you could do a complete custom case out of acrylic and tint it so it has a reflective look to it? also the only way it's gonna be a fire hazard is if you are reaching temps of like 90c+ on the mobo  since it is the only item coming in contact with the wood

current build and total cost   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/150083-thrift-shop-build/

I apologize for my crappy English I'm American

Yeah it isn't a fire hazard unless you short-circuit something and burn wires touching the wood. You can get impregnated fire retardant woods if you want btw.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

you could do a complete custom case out of acrylic and tint it so it has a reflective look to it? also the only way it's gonna be a fire hazard is if you are reaching temps of like 90c+ on the mobo since it is the only item coming in contact with the wood

No, I would buy a metal mb tray.

The concern is if something failed and burst into flames, the desk would catch and burn down the house

The concern is if something failed and burst into flames, the desk would catch and burn down the house

Well, you could get a fire-retardant spray and treat the inside of the desk.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

Well, you could get a fire-retardant spray and treat the inside of the desk.

How much wood that cost?

No pun intended, auto correct.

The chances of that happening are slim to none. unless you don't have a heat sink on the CPU or you use realy flimsy wiring for something that needs a lot of power that isn't going to happen lol

current build and total cost   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/150083-thrift-shop-build/

The chances of that happening are slim to none. unless you don't have a heat sink on the CPU or you use realy flimsy wiring for something that needs a lot of power that isn't going to happen lol

People have had gpu's just burst into flames

probably due to improper cooling lol I've never heard of anything bursting into flames unless there was no way of cooling it. but safety is best. I personally think an Acrylic case would look awesome

That's a pretty big bummer, I think education might be your best bet, failing that, how are your metal working skills? A table made of steel and aluminium would be good also.

That's a pretty big bummer, I think education might be your best bet, failing that, how are your metal working skills? A table made of steel and aluminium would be good also.

Never done it, and we have no tools for metal. Ill go ask my dad about the spray.

Generally when people say their GPU (or anything else) burst into flames they actually mean a very small puff of smoke came out or a cap popped, neither of which would catch a solid bit of wood on fire. Even if you managed to get a flame going it would be very unlikely that it would last long enough to actually ignite a solid plank of wood. Grab a chunk of wood, hold a lighter to it and you'll see what I mean ;)

How much wood that cost?

No pun intended, auto correct.

Not that expensive, look.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0055QNA92/ref=s9_simh_gw_p201_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=07Y5AW3W8VA3EXNAJ348&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=455344027&pf_rd_i=468294

But still, it just delays the onset of combustion, it doesn't make it fireproof.

But then, an acrylic case would burn pretty well too. And a metal one only buys you time to put out the fire like the flame retardant does but will still burn your house down if you let it. The only real advantage is EMI shielding.