Swiftech H220 in a Fractal Define R4?

Go to solution Solved by Worldinc,

[update after installation]

Hi,

Just wanted to jump back in and update the thread after the installation. So to sum up, I bought a i7-4790k, an ASUS Maximus VII Hero and a Swiftech H220 and tried to mount the H220 in the top spot. It didn't fit no matter how I tried it. I'm not an expert with radiators, in fact this was my first radiator installation. I tried with the tubes on both sides, tried switching the fans to pull, and even tried to offset it as much as I could but the rad or the fans never had enough room. The top spot on the Hero VII has 2 USB ports and 1 PS/2 combo port. The rad always blocked against this module. I actually ended up mounting the H220 in the front everything went well that way when I removed the drive cages.

This was also my real first OC experience (never had a very good CPU before) and I got my 4790k to 4.8Ghz @ 1.29v, all that at 70c under load with ambient temp at 31c. Really glad of the results even though the H220 installation didn't go as planned.

Hope this will help someone else!

Hi everyone,

I'm new to water cooling and radiator sizes in general. I'm planning on buying an ASUS Maximus VII Hero for my new build, in a Fractal Define R4. I'd like to get an AIO watercooler for my CPU, and seeing as the Swiftech H220 is at 120$ on NCIX (http://www.ncix.com/detail/swiftech-h220-quiet-power-plug-and-play-c7-79583-1382.htm) this weekend, i'm really tempted to buy it. Not having the motherboard to do measurements is what's holding me back right now.

I was thinking of putting the H220 in the top 2 spots on top of the case, but I'm wondering if it'll interfere with the ASUS Maximus VII Hero or not. Anyone knows about compatibility in this setup?

Thanks!

After doing a quick google search I found a picture of exactly this a h220 and a fractal r4. Only issue though with a top mounted fan on top of the rad is its awful tricky not to ding the radiator with screws because you are somewhat guessing where the long screw is lining up. Also, to note the ROG hero board wont stop you from placing 2 fans on the top its just a matter of getting it lined up correctly without scratching the surface of the radiator. 

900x900px-LL-5fa497ab_u73ngWw.jpeg

not at all, eatch, the mobo, the cooler and the case are optimized for itch other, H220, nice choice

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

After doing a quick google search I found a picture of exactly this a h220 and a fractal r4. Only issue though with a top mounted fan on top of the rad is its awful tricky not to ding the radiator with screws because you are somewhat guessing where the long screw is lining up.

900x900px-LL-5fa497ab_u73ngWw.jpeg

i'm gonna say, that's a 580 reference

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

@Worldinc There is enough space for a set of fans on one side + the radiator itself (30mm)

not at all, itch, the mobo, the cooler and the case are optimized for itch other, H220, nice choice

why're you writing "itch" did you mean each?

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

@Worldinc There is enough space for a set of fans on one side + the radiator itself (30mm)

why're you writing "itch" did you mean each?

xD, yeah my bad, sounded like "something is itching"

• 1 month later...

[update after installation]

Hi,

Just wanted to jump back in and update the thread after the installation. So to sum up, I bought a i7-4790k, an ASUS Maximus VII Hero and a Swiftech H220 and tried to mount the H220 in the top spot. It didn't fit no matter how I tried it. I'm not an expert with radiators, in fact this was my first radiator installation. I tried with the tubes on both sides, tried switching the fans to pull, and even tried to offset it as much as I could but the rad or the fans never had enough room. The top spot on the Hero VII has 2 USB ports and 1 PS/2 combo port. The rad always blocked against this module. I actually ended up mounting the H220 in the front everything went well that way when I removed the drive cages.

This was also my real first OC experience (never had a very good CPU before) and I got my 4790k to 4.8Ghz @ 1.29v, all that at 70c under load with ambient temp at 31c. Really glad of the results even though the H220 installation didn't go as planned.

Hope this will help someone else!

don't sweat it, it's better to have it as intake anyway

A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it.

After doing a quick google search I found a picture of exactly this a h220 and a fractal r4. Only issue though with a top mounted fan on top of the rad is its awful tricky not to ding the radiator with screws because you are somewhat guessing where the long screw is lining up. Also, to note the ROG hero board wont stop you from placing 2 fans on the top its just a matter of getting it lined up correctly without scratching the surface of the radiator. 

What I usually do in this case is to use normal case fan screws to secure the fans to the case.  Once you get a couple long screws mounted through the fans, you can remove the case screws and replace them with the long ones.

Sorry to hear about it not fitting up top.  I swear the R4's have offset mounts to avoid that stuff...

Sorry to hear about it not fitting up top.  I swear the R4's have offset mounts to avoid that stuff...

the R4 does and doesn't have those mounting holes. the standard 120 mounts

are inline and there are some hex mesh holes most use to offset mount their

radiators for MOSFET/RAM 'sink clearances.

i believe @d33g33 redrilled some holes to make better clearance?

the arc midi/R2 have the giant offsets to clear 'sinks.

the R4 does and doesn't have those mounting holes. the standard 120 mounts

are inline and there are some hex mesh holes most use to offset mount their

radiators for MOSFET/RAM 'sink clearances.

i believe @d33g33 redrilled some holes to make better clearance?

the arc midi/R2 have the giant offsets to clear 'sinks.

I did drill mine out but it wasn't the cleanest. Check my build log, however. I thought the R4 was revised to allow for a larger offset from the motherboard. Your motherboard is quite talk on that top edge though so you might be in for a tough one if you were really set on it going in the roof...

I did drill mine out but it wasn't the cleanest. Check my build log, however. I thought the R4 was revised to allow for a larger offset from the motherboard. Your motherboard is quite talk on that top edge though so you might be in for a tough one if you were really set on it going in the roof...

I think they did, but I'm not sure if they started doing it for all of them or just with the newer windowed versions. Here's the link where I got the tip from, it's a few posts down.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

Close, its a 680 reference. 580 had a 6 pin + 8 pin side by side, but the 680 has two 6 pins stacked on top of each other. Theoretically it could be a 670 FTW too, they use the exact same pcb and cooler. This one doesn't have an EVGA logo on it though, so im leaning towards a vanilla 680, maybe even straight from NVidia.

"I have not seen everything and anything is possible" - J. Guru

Close, its a 680 reference. 580 had a 6 pin + 8 pin side by side, but the 680 has two 6 pins stacked on top of each other. Theoretically it could be a 670 FTW too, they use the exact same pcb and cooler. This one doesn't have an EVGA logo on it though, so im leaning towards a vanilla 680, maybe even straight from NVidia.

Smart, Detecting it is a 680 from the Power connectors, i didn't see that because indeed the 580 consumed more with it's Fermi Based GPU and an 8Pin instead of a 6Pin, it's this one, the Reference From nVidia : 

01.jpg

What I usually do in this case is to use normal case fan screws to secure the fans to the case.  Once you get a couple long screws mounted through the fans, you can remove the case screws and replace them with the long ones.

Glad you posted this. Not something I had thought about just did it on my r4 worked like a charm good shiz man :)

680 reference bud

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i Chassis/Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2  Motherboard: Asus Z87-Deluxe RAM:  Team Vulcan 2x4Gb(2133Mhz)  Video Card: Asus 7970 Direct CU II Custom Rom (150% Power, 1100 core 6Ghz Memory)  Power Supply: Fractal Integra R2 750 Watt  Keyboard: Cooler Master Quick Fire Rapid (MX Blue Switches)  MouseCorsair M90 Storage: SX900 128Gb, Seagate 1TB 7200RPM, WD Green 1TB 7200RPM   MY OLD BUILDLOG

The Fastest 8350 @5.33Ghz with a score of 9.16pts in Cinebench 11.5

@d33g33 I bought my R4 quite a while ago (before they offered the glass doors). By the way, amazing results on your build. Quite impressive!